Page 1 of 1

I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:34 pm
by Mr. VanDii
I recently got a Ford 9" in the mail and in my hast to build it (and do so at a cheap price) I ordered a 4.86 ring and pinion with a 35 spline drag spool and H-case . It's still new and in its original packaging, although I did open it to take a peek. All in all the rear is coming to nicely

Here is the issue... I need the front to match the rear and I am having a hell of a time finding a 4.86 reverse rotation gear for the D44 I have in the front.

So, how bad did I goof, ehh?

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:54 pm
by dtbback
I was just checking out ring and pinion sets. I don't think your going to find a reverse set in 4.86.

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:44 pm
by 300
They are available in 4.88 which is close enough.

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm
by Mr. VanDii
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I don't wont the hopping or associated damage on hard pack terrain and on the street. Plus I only have 33s on there now. 35s re nest and some day I will have 37s. At that ratio, I'm set for good.

I was thinking about going down to a 4.56 or so, but that means that I have to purchase different ring and pinion set for my rear.

I would think that a 4.86 is pretty rare, but they do make it in the standard R&P set. I'm sure it exists... I hope.

With that said, I only assume that I need a reverse r&p for my front end. Is that true?

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:38 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
Your fine. When doing front to rear ratios a 4.10 is in an 8.8 and a 4.09 for the front. I had that and never had an issue. Run the 4.88 it won't hop.

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:01 am
by mesquito_creek
run what you got... That is roughly the equivalent of running a tire that is 1/8 of an inch different in diameter in tread wear (based on a 35 inch tire).... and after a couple thousand miles on a brand new set of rubber, I would venture to say your front and rear tires have that much delta...

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 am
by funinthesun95
I have ran the and am running the same set up..... it works great and I now am running 37 but had 35..... do you have overdrive?

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am
by Mr. VanDii
Yep, I currently have the original t18 still in there and love it so far. A NV4500 is considered for the future of this rig, however.

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm
by funinthesun95
then the 4.86 4.88 will not be a issues RPM wise ....run them

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:57 pm
by Mr. VanDii
In that case, I'll go for it.

Just so I'm on the right track, the d44 is a 30 spline up front and that's just about my only option? I

plan on using 4340(?) axle shafts hope that will add some strength, or am I better off cleaning mine up and stuffing new joints in?

Can I use a selectable locker? I noticed that many make use of the diff cover to run the cable/line/wire. I assume that I can't do that with a TTB.

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:41 am
by arse_sidewards
Mr. VanDii wrote:In that case, I'll go for it.

Just so I'm on the right track, the d44 is a 30 spline up front and that's just about my only option? I

plan on using 4340(?) axle shafts hope that will add some strength, or am I better off cleaning mine up and stuffing new joints in?

Can I use a selectable locker? I noticed that many make use of the diff cover to run the cable/line/wire. I assume that I can't do that with a TTB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zr55B1AtGM

Re: I think I dun goofed...

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:31 pm
by Mr. VanDii
I saw that a while back. I'm doing trussed TTB arms so that's not as easy. I was thinking about doing it the Giant MS way on some of their trussed rear cover stuff. Welding ain't so hard... Right? :?