Page 1 of 2

something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm
by T/C
Okay trying to get this thing in shape before I dive I. To future mods... Having a bit of a front end issue.

My sway bar is hitting the front front shock it looks as if the sway bar bracket that attaches under the coil is moved out of place on the pass. Side. Pictures to come.

Is this something that I just need to center everything or could it be something more.. My main concern is I am also having some CV clearance issues on the same side and it has me worried something is jacked..

Image[/img]

[imgImage[/img]

Said CV issue

Image[/img]

Any help would be great

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm
by Rmc
Check the radius arm bushings, it looks to me like the beam has moved back on one side or at least in referance to the drivers side. There's no reason the axel should rub unless its shifted backward toward the rear of the truck. So that being said shot radius arm bushing or bent radius arm bracket would allow movement toward the rear. Btw get rid of that factory sway bar and it will improve the ride but will allow a bit more sway. The front swaybar on beams has always bugged me.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:54 pm
by T/C
Okay will check the. And its gone after I get rid of the crazy steering issue I am having hoping to fix a lot of it when I figure out what's up with this pulls really hard to the pass side on bimps . buy not all the time its random. Don't want to deal with that with out a sway bar it sucks on the narrow bridges we have here when other cars are coming

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 pm
by Tchajagos
Only one picture seemed to work.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:09 pm
by T/C
If you click the link should take you to my photo bucket I will try to fix it when I get home on the computer so they show In the thread

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:13 pm
by T/C

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:15 pm
by T/C
Image

Image

Third times the charm?

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:07 pm
by T/C
Think I may have just figured it out.. Ra bushings are good and I can't visually see any stress spots on the beam... But check this out... Could this be causing this all?

Pass side ra is backed off the beam about a 1/4 " the drivers side is flush
Image

This is the pass side below with said gap

Image

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 pm
by Rmc
Looks like your on the right track, loosen the bolt in the center of the coil spring on both sides. Let the stuff relax and see if the gap matches then. Oh almost forgot, jack it up on stands under the frame rails and remove the front tires. Let the beams sag, Then loosen those bolts. The radius arm gap should be nearly identicle on both sides. Either the driver beam has moved foreward or the pass back or both but either way the axel should clear the window. Check both beam drop brackets also make sure one isn't bent in the directions above. Something has shifted for sure but when it shifted it forgot to shift back. This is why most guys prefer c&t beams, less leverage and movable parts in the equation.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:17 pm
by T/C
If I had the money I would for sure do c/t beams just not in the budget.. I work till Monday but will for sure dig in to it thanks for helping me figure it out

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:23 pm
by Rmc
Well I hope it helps get it squared away. But your welcome, anytime. gives me something to do on my smoke breaks. If you see anything fishy shoot a pic. Some of the others on here know the stock-ish stuff better than I do, it's been a while since mines been like that, I guess its been awhile since mine had more traditional bolt on type stuff anyway. Good luck.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:48 pm
by T/C
Thanks and will do.. Just got a promotion today so hope to have a bit more money for mods... Need to get my Tacoma paid off first though lol

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:45 am
by Rmc
Heck ya! Congrats!

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:09 am
by Silverslk
Start with simple checks... 1/4" won't cause the axle to rub.
Measure the wheel base on both sides and see where you stand. It looks like you have a DB lift with extended arms.... Measure back from the original radius arm mounting holes to where they are now and see if the measurements are consistent.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:19 pm
by AussieRod
From your pictures, I think the RH beam is bent at the axle portal (window), thats why the axle shaft is rubbing and the steering is rubbing on the quad shock bracket. Get another pass side beam and replace, or at least, hold one under the one on the truck, it will be obvious if it is bent or not.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 pm
by T/C
I just went out there and looked at that exact spot Aussie and i think that might be my issue.. Should that whole bottom section of the beam (The flat part of the metal) Be a smooth? I Am guessing so and mine has a few waves right in that area.. I do not see any stress marks or anything though could so little really mess everything up that much?

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 pm
by Rmc
Should be smooth. The beams are funky shaped but a 2 piece construction, inside and outside pieces slipped over eachother and welded lengthwise. There's no real wrinkles to speak of that I can recall.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:09 pm
by T/C
I guess the next step is to find another one to compare it with... Pretty sure this is my issue or at least part off it it deffently has some wrinkle to it

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:27 am
by Rmc
Where are you at? I have a beam you could borrow if your close.

Re: something is out of wack... front end help

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:19 am
by T/C
Texas but thanks for the offer lol