Fiberglass quarter panel repair

Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Fiberglass quarter panel repair

Post by Jasonj105 »

I was drilling the hole for my recessed filler neck and I cracked the quarter panel. Any ideas on how to fix this properly? I was going to try and just fill it with resin and sand it down.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Fiberglass quarter panel repair

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Drill a hole at the end of the crack. Small is ok but make sure you get the end.

On the backside of the fender lay a piece of fiberglass cloth (woven 6-8 oz. should be good) that covers the crack and extends beyond it a couple inches in both directions & put the resin on that.

Some people like to grind/sand a layer of existing fiberglass off the back but no need IMO. Just make sure the back side is clean before applying the fiberglass & resin.

Leave the glass a bit long & have it extend into the gas filler hole. Resin all the way up to the edge. Cut the excess fiberglass cloth off with scissors when done.

You can then grind out a bit on the front of the crack so as to fill with resin & sand smooth to the bedside face. Or sand a bit lighter & use bondo to fill.

This way should be alright since the fender didn't crack all the way out to the wheel opening. The fuel fill will hold the one side together in addition to the fiberglass.

If you want to do it really well though grind/sand down through the gel coat on the front side & put another layer of fiberglass cloth over this side & resin that as well. Then sand smooth when done. Prime well before painting though as the straight resin or bondo will accept paint differently then the gel coat will.