Page 1 of 1

Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:26 am
by rezrider
Is there an alternative to replacing the headlights/bulbs on my 88 (keeping it street legal...for now) other than going to a junk yard?

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:42 am
by Nick
When i had my 90, i searched everywhere for replacement units with no luck. If you do a google search for headlight refurbishing you will find lots of info on how to get your stockers cleaned up.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:34 pm
by rezrider
Nick wrote:When i had my 90, i searched everywhere for replacement units with no luck. If you do a google search for headlight refurbishing you will find lots of info on how to get your stockers cleaned up.
Yea, I know how to do that (worked sales at a used car dealership...fine paper, water, spray with clear coat)...looking for "newer" units. The adjustment "screws" aren't in the best condition, bezels loose, grill is beat up so I thought I'd replace them if possible.
Thanks

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 pm
by towerace1
I dont know where you are located but there is a company here in az called make model and year. They will carry all you need,,, I think.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 pm
by damon1272
you can go to certi fit http://www.certifit.com/
Lights are reasonable to very reasonable. I think the total housing with new bulbs is around $85 a piece for a ford truck. Headlights for my 2003 focus were only $34 a light and that was with new bulbs. I have used them in the past and quality has been good.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 am
by rezrider
damon1272 wrote:you can go to certi fit http://www.certifit.com/
Lights are reasonable to very reasonable. I think the total housing with new bulbs is around $85 a piece for a ford truck. Headlights for my 2003 focus were only $34 a light and that was with new bulbs. I have used them in the past and quality has been good.
I'll give them a call
Thanks

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 pm
by navynuke
do you justneed a factory housing? if so PM me, I have an 89 i think for parts.

Ken
Image

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am
by convoy
Navy, You looking to scrape the back seat in your parts truck?

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:48 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
ebay works wonders too. they have the complete light kit up front for my 92. it may not be the best but it might be better than what you have.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm
by Polarcub
Check out LMC truck they have the headlights and bulbs as well great source for parts and catalogs are free

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:09 am
by PaulW
Nick wrote:When i had my 90, i searched everywhere for replacement units with no luck. If you do a google search for headlight refurbishing you will find lots of info on how to get your stockers cleaned up.
============
All the auto stores are now stocking the polishing kits, including Walmart.
Not rocket sience just fine sandpaper and polishing compound. Small discoloring can be fixed with tooth paste and elbow greese.
The internal glare shield failure requires replacement of the whole thing.
PW

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 pm
by rezrider
navynuke wrote:do you justneed a factory housing? if so PM me, I have an 89 i think for parts.

Ken
Image
Sorry for the late reply..been off line for a while. I'll be bringing my Bronco back home after this weekend (Mem-day). I'm going to try to polish them a little...been there, done that on several other vehicles...none of them mine though...spraying on some clear coat helps preserve them also (from what I hear). If that doesn't work I'll contact you if they're still available.

Thanks
Rick

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:31 am
by shockseals.com
Is the plastic fastening device that holds the bulb into the housing obtainable or is it a junk yard part? Mine is a 96 and 3 of the 6 tabs that apply preload to the bulb are broke.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:40 pm
by Polarcub
If it catalog is LMC will have it you can go through their website/online catalog to look. I will try to look later tonight too at my

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 am
by Agilt
LMC is generally good stuff

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/t.aspx?Page=59

A lot of their parts are NOS too

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:19 am
by ChaseTruck754
A LOT of LMC stuff is NOT good too though and a LOT of their stuff that is punched from the "original" dies is bought from Dennis Carpenter or Blue Oval parts, re-marked, price marked up and sold through their catalog.

At least that's what they do with the 70's trucks.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:36 pm
by PaulW
ChaseTruck754 wrote:A LOT of LMC stuff is NOT good too though and a LOT of their stuff that is punched from the "original" dies is bought from Dennis Carpenter or Blue Oval parts, re-marked, price marked up and sold through their catalog.

At least that's what they do with the 70's trucks.
=
So far it has been good for the 96 replacement rubber. No complaints

I have their rubber & hardware for the 72. I havent got all the stuff instlled yet - so not comments.
I did do the wing windows and they came out great. Like you said some of the rubber is no name from Tiwan and some is from Carpenter.
Paul

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Just a forewarning - don't buy sheet metal or grills from LMC. Not that anyone here would, but you can dent the stuff by looking at it funny and they don't fit well.

Rubber and other stuff can be "ok" - especially if you don't want to pay 3x the cost for stuff from Carpenter.

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 pm
by PaulW
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Just a forewarning - don't buy sheet metal or grills from LMC. Not that anyone here would, but you can dent the stuff by looking at it funny and they don't fit well.

Rubber and other stuff can be "ok" - especially if you don't want to pay 3x the cost for stuff from Carpenter.
======
I have all the catalogs and the prices are close to the same foir the stuff I bought.
PW

Re: Head light replacements

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:35 pm
by Agilt
Yeah all of my stuff is for a '96 so I don't have any experience with the older model stuff.