Page 1 of 3

C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:31 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I had a spring clip eliminator kit in the passenger side axle because the guy who previously rebuilt the pumpkin told me i had to do it. Well the cap inside the yolk popped off. What should i do? Is there something else i can do?

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 pm
by bajascott
Str8 axle that bitch and be done

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 pm
by AussieRod
find a bolt-in pumpkin and fix that shit once and for all. Never again will you lose a cap, axle, oil, etc. :D

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 pm
by AussieRod
bajascott wrote:Str8 axle that bitch and be done
No blasphemy here, please :twisted:

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:02 pm
by Phoenix0783
I think you can tack weld that cap on.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
Thats what i thought too. Then i was goin to run a valve spring inside to keep the pressure on the axle.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm
by Phoenix0783
Are you saying it can't be welded?

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I would assume it could be as the searching shows thats what people have done. I was thinkin welding a plug and using a valve spring in the slip joint

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm
by Phoenix0783
Ok, we're on the same page. It just read really weird to me.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 am
by RyanDS650X
I cant recomend it enough to pull the trigger on a bolt on stub shaft. I battled the spring mod only for it to leave me without fourwheel drive on two different occasions when i really needed it.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
I dont have the time right now to otherwise i would. I think welding a piece over the hole and running a spring will be ok

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 pm
by philofab
Weld the cap to the slip yoke.

Do not run a valve spring.... way too much pressure. I used a random spring from the box that was 2" long and compressible by hand.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
Thank you Philo ill go to the hardware store and pick up a 2" spring

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm
by Jbfab
Ive also heard of ppl using fwd car axle retainers. Its basically a clip that fits inplace of the c clip then u just pop it in and it holds.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm
by 1Hondalover
AussieRod wrote:find a bolt-in pumpkin and fix that shit once and for all. Never again will you lose a cap, axle, oil, etc. :D
I have some not so nice sounding issues coming from my front diff left over from Huckfest, and it will be coming apart soon. Since I didn't build it I don't know what's in there, but assuming c clip I'd like to change to bolt on. Seems like I read only 1980 to 1982 Bronco TTB's had this bolt on and all others are c clip.....is this correct?

Can someone enlighten me with the list of what's needed to make this change?

Thanks in advance.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:13 pm
by BDKW1
Housing and axle with hardware.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm
by VintageIronFab
This link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho ... p?t=256302 - is probably the best link for doing this mod the best- and includes a part number for an Echo trimmer part. I bought two of them from www.mowpart.com -- they are in Texas and the parts get here quick! Nothing of course beats the bolt in housing. How hard would it be to convert a c-clip housing to a bolt in?

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 am
by AussieRod
VintageIronFab wrote:This link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/sho ... p?t=256302 - is probably the best link for doing this mod the best- and includes a part number for an Echo trimmer part. I bought two of them from http://www.mowpart.com -- they are in Texas and the parts get here quick! Nothing of course beats the bolt in housing. How hard would it be to convert a c-clip housing to a bolt in?
Dont even try. Just search for the correct one, they are out there. :D

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:44 am
by PaulW
Re engineer what the Ford design provided? Why bother when Ford has excellent hardware readily available??
Maybe useful for a D35 for a guy that does not want a D44? After all Broncos do not use D35s and bolted D44s are readily available with no junk fixes.
That whole Explorer thread is just a bunch of unnecessary and inappropriate stuff for a Bronco.

Re: C clip eliminator d44 issues

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:11 am
by 1Hondalover
BDKW1 wrote:Housing and axle with hardware.
That's it? Am I correct on the 1980 to 1982 model years? Are all of the other components like seals and bearings or whatever the same?