f350 dually lift
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
f350 dually lift
I've got a 1990 f350 dually double cab with a 460 big block that is 2wd. Currently has 215/85/16 in the rear and 235/85/16 front. The truck sits level and those are factory size. I want to run 255/85/16 for all six tires so I'm going to need to lift the front a couple inches to make it sit level with the larger siz e tires. I have considered a spacer but with so much weight (truck weighs 6770) with me in it I feel like there could be issues. I can't find a leveling coil and I don't want a full lift kit. Does anyone have a reccomendation to help me get the frontend of my truck up a little. Its a heavy jailer not my offroad truck just looking to increase ride height for tire clearance and level stance. thanks!
-
D1cker1
- Posts: 1255
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm
- Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior
- Location: ORANGE CUNTY, COMIFORNIA وس إنجليزي - عربي
f350 dually lift
I maybe wrong but.. I'm sure you can fit those tires without adding lift spring/shock.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: f350 dually lift
That tire is about 33" tall but very narrow. It's should fit but if you want it a little taller in the front but a new set of Diesel springs or 2" lift springs. I ran 265/75/16s for years on my CC before it went to 35" tires. No rubbing at all.
Watch the rear as you may get tire rub between the duals and require a spacer. If your truck has a factory 2" block in the rear you can swap it out to a factory 4" to keep it level.
Watch the rear as you may get tire rub between the duals and require a spacer. If your truck has a factory 2" block in the rear you can swap it out to a factory 4" to keep it level.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
I can go all over with tire sizes but that particular size is easy and cheap for me. I plan to run a small spacer in the rear. The reason I want the front up higher is because it now sits level with the 215/85 tires in the rear so going to all the same size will make me rear high and is prefer a level look.
The truck currently has a big block so I'm unsure if the diesel springs would do anything to my knowlege the 460 is heavier by a little but could be wrong. I was told to try a leveling coil for a super cab f150 which are I think 550lbs/in which will be softer. I have a set of dual shock buckets I could potentially use as well which might be the way to go with a softer rate. I have no idea what these factory coil rates are but they are def very thick wire diameter
The truck currently has a big block so I'm unsure if the diesel springs would do anything to my knowlege the 460 is heavier by a little but could be wrong. I was told to try a leveling coil for a super cab f150 which are I think 550lbs/in which will be softer. I have a set of dual shock buckets I could potentially use as well which might be the way to go with a softer rate. I have no idea what these factory coil rates are but they are def very thick wire diameter
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
What about lift spacers. People run poly spacers on superdutys all the time. What do you guys think about those on a somewhat heavy truck.
There is no specific spring option
There is no specific spring option
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
f350 dually lift
I made solid spacers on my F250 at one point.
Ive run F150 lift springs on my truck without issue. I remember doing the math and the wheel rates were very close. Ill look in the spring book tomorrow and compare diesel and gas (460) springs.
Ive run F150 lift springs on my truck without issue. I remember doing the math and the wheel rates were very close. Ill look in the spring book tomorrow and compare diesel and gas (460) springs.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Awesome! Thanks philo! Im gonna take it apart tomorrow to service brakes/bearings so ill take some measurements and see whats what. I have some 4in pro comp coils laying around I'm sure I could make those work with some time but don't want to do much fabrication if I don't need to
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: f350 dually lift
My truck got about 3" of lift with an old sagged set of 4" springs. It's a little too much for even a 3 degree cam.kylesgorter wrote:Awesome! Thanks philo! Im gonna take it apart tomorrow to service brakes/bearings so ill take some measurements and see whats what. I have some 4in pro comp coils laying around I'm sure I could make those work with some time but don't want to do much fabrication if I don't need to
The spacer is really easy to do. The 3/4 bolt that goes through the beam is about 7" long, find a 9" or 10" bolt (not real easy) and stack washers or build a spacer that sits under the spring pocket. A 1" spacer lifts the truck 1.25 to 1.5".
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
We have bolts that long at work. I could prob cut some 1/2 plate and double or triple it.
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Because its a 1 ton dually it sits higher than normal 2wds due to a taller base under the coil spring. The cams are close to maxed out the knuckle will touch the beam with any more angle. Guess I'm going with drop brackets or keeping it the way it is
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Well... Getting drop brackets from a member here so that's the way I'm going. Now need to decide to go with 4 or 6in coil. I have radius arms started ill finish and use those. Prob beef up the brackets and crossmember mounting for piece of mind.
Now I need to figure the rear out and decide on a tire size. Getting 2in rear spacers next week
Now I need to figure the rear out and decide on a tire size. Getting 2in rear spacers next week
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Tire size/type suggestions anyone? Having a hard time deciding
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Looking into new wheels. Considering changing the extreme positive offset a little to gain some tracwidth in front and a little more scrub for turning radius. Nothing extreme though. Thoughts and opinions?
Also considering rear spring options. I've considered having junkyard springs massaged and also thought of off the shelf 3in packs. Right now the rear is the normal 1ton springs with dual leaf overloaded so it doesn't move at all. I'm not wanting anything crazy but some more travel and a smooth ride would be nice. Under bed shocks. Ideas?
Also considering rear spring options. I've considered having junkyard springs massaged and also thought of off the shelf 3in packs. Right now the rear is the normal 1ton springs with dual leaf overloaded so it doesn't move at all. I'm not wanting anything crazy but some more travel and a smooth ride would be nice. Under bed shocks. Ideas?
- Tchajagos
- Posts: 2124
- Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:07 am
- Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs
- Location: Murrieta
f350 dually lift
Is it only the 4wd f350s that ha the straight axle in the front? I could have sworn I've seen the 2wd with a solid front axle. Maybe it was a f450.
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Some do some don't as far as I know and I think it was the earlier years. my front suspension is just like 2wd f250 but knuckles, hubs, brakes are slightly different if I'm not mistaken
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Eventually I'd like to do a solid Dana 60 and make it 4x4 but for now I just want a smoother ride and room for slighly bigger tires. I can feel the weight of the front of the truck when on dirt roads it needs a ton more shock I'm thinking duals. The truck is a good runner but never going to be an offroad vehicle. It's going to tow whatever I get next and I use it to haul steel, tow a dump trailer and occasionally a 26ft 5th wheel.
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Got some progress on the lift. Got some 3deg cams, building radius arms and got some extended brakelines. Picking up some 4in coils tomorrow going to build my own spring pocket for under the coil. Hoping for around 2.5in lift. I've got some 8.5in stroke 5100s gonna try to get a second pair for duals. Simple shock hoops and ive got some nice coilbuckets nobody wants to buy so I'm going to use those too. It's coming together slow but sure. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see what's going on.
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: f350 dually lift
Finishing fabrication on the parts today minus shock hoops which I'm doing tomorrow. Vacation ends on wed so hopefully its done
