Wheel Adapter Info

Texas_Baja
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco, White XLT 351. Building a trail / go fast truck.

Wheel Adapter Info

Post by Texas_Baja »

My front tires (35x12.5) are rubbing the radius arms at full lock, just need about an 1" space. Found these adapter/spacers at Polyperformance, will these work ok, actually I know they will work, but are they safe. I was told lots of loctite and check lugs monthly or so. I'll be doing some highway driving too and trail riding.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Syn ... 21349.html

Thanks
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Wheel Adapter Info

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

check torque on the bolts on those & lug nuts a lot. Also watch your wheel bearings. Those spacers add a bit more load to the hub/bearings.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Texas_Baja

Post by Texas_Baja »

Does a wheel with 4.5" backspacing and 1" adapter/spacer have the same characteritics as the the same wheel with 3.5" backspacing?
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Yes. I would let them rub before running a spacer though. Consider them your steering stop!
Texas_Baja

Post by Texas_Baja »

I only ask because people talk about wearing out wheel bearing with spacers, just figuring out where that line is.
Texas_Baja

Post by Texas_Baja »

Everytime I bring up wheel spacers/ adapters I get a big frowny face from everyone, when I can buy a wheel with the same backspacing that I'll have with the spacers on my current wheels.

It would work as a steering stop but the big lugs on the mud-terrains makes it feel like your running over babies.
Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Post by Jasonj105 »

My Autofab arms rub, so I just turned out the steering stop a little. I really havent noticed a difference in turning radius.
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Yeah, I'd turn out the steering stop too... that's what I did... I'm not a big fan of spacers...
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

If the wheel spacer is hub-centric then it is also stronger compared to an aftermarket wheel that is not hub-centric. I've seen a lot of guys successfully run wheel spacers but it's a touchy subject with most. I would personally not hesitate to run wheel spacers to see the difference compared to not running them. I know how to replace bearings and I doubt I'd hit something hard enough to break my spindle snouts off.

I guess the main thing with wheel spacers is you want to make sure they're torqued properly and check it often especially before a trip to the dirt. Most of the use our trucks get are street and highway duties anyway... of course if you're frequently going to Baja like lots of guys on here, or you drive hundreds of miles through the dirt at moderate speeds for extended periods of time.. I would probably stay away from wheel spacers just to not risk something breaking catastrophically in the middle of nowhere.
Texas_Baja

Post by Texas_Baja »

Agui - Thanks for the info, I'm 50/50 on them as well, just sucks that tires rub. I won't be doing anything crazy enough to break them off, still don't want to risk it though.

Can you buy a hubcentric for Dana 44, or is that a custom machined piece?
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Texas_Baja wrote:Agui - Thanks for the info, I'm 50/50 on them as well, just sucks that tires rub. I won't be doing anything crazy enough to break them off, still don't want to risk it though.

Can you buy a hubcentric for Dana 44, or is that a custom machined piece?
I believe it is custom. I think Ryan (don't remember his user name) just put cone pieces on his.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com