Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

User avatar
convoy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: San Clemente

Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by convoy »

Mods you can delete this or move it. I did a write up with numerous pictures this weekend, but since I'm not really a GMC/Chevy guy I'm not going to bother to post this on their web forums. Does anyone care for a write up for this???


I was experiencing a clunking feel through my wife’s steering wheel of her Yukon for the past few years. Under the warranty the dealership would grease the steering shaft and it would eliminate the clunk for about 2 months and then it would come right back. I had this done at least 3 times before the warranty ran out. So recently GMC/Chevy came out with the replacement intermediate steering shaft to solve this occurring problem (It's now installed on all 2007 and newer GMC/Chevy trucks and SUV's. Anyone drive or own one of these older vehicles listed below that has this same problem that would like a write up??

Here is the Bulletin:

Subject:Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models:2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003L (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips
Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.


• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).
• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.

Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by SteveG »

Lot's of my customer's GM vehicles make this noise. It's very common. I believe the replacement has been out for quite some time.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
convoy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: San Clemente

Re: Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by convoy »

Yes I guess it has Steve. Here I thought I was cool... :oops:
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by SteveG »

Don't get me wrong, you're definitely cool.... Just because it's been out a while doesn't mean most GM car owners know it. I've seen a lot of cars with the symptom but only have one customer that was willing to spend the money to fix it (out of warranty).

If you're a regular at your local dealership I would think they could push to have it replaced even though it's out of warranty.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
convoy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: San Clemente

Re: Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by convoy »

Steve I thought the same thing since they fixed it several times, but then wanted $250 plus tax for the replacement. So $49.00 from rock auto and 45 minutes of my time it was fixed. Dang easy for sure.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by SteveG »

Well the Rock Auto price sure is better. Thanks for the info.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
convoy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: San Clemente

Re: Newer GMC/Chevy steering upgrade

Post by convoy »

Steve, Since you see these alot after I replaced the upgraded I-shaft I still hear it clunk, but the steering is still tight. Anything I should inspect?
Post Reply