Page 1 of 2

4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 pm
by 94EddieBauer
I currently have 3.55 stock gears with 33x12.50 BFG All Terrains w/ stock 302 except for headers, 3in exhaust, and a fresh "Sixlitre Tuneup". The engine runs flawlessly and the timing is right on. I know that lifted trucks obviously get worse mpg than a stock one, however I am not doing too well in the past few months.

Within the past few months gas has gone up to $3.79 here in Houston, TX. I know its lower than some areas, but I really would like to do better so that I can afford to drive it on trips and not have to always hitch rides with other people.

If I were going to do a gear swap I was thinking 4.56's with a Detroit locker in the rear. I really dont do too much hardcore stuff but when Im out on the trails I wanna feel comfortable. There is a few guys on fullsizebronco.com that are running 4.56s on 35s getting around 15mpg.


I really would like to get some of the lower end power back and get my gas mileage back up as well. I was thinking that 4.56 would be a good upgrade and would give me alot of lower end grunt. Also, if I run 4.56 than I can always go with 35's and not feel bogged down. Many people have said that 4.10 really enough lower end for the 35's. What do yall think?

Most of my driving is under 50mph and alot of my freeway driving is in the 60-65mph area. I never really tach it much higher than that because its not comfortable and burns through the gas.

Give me yalls suggestions,

Thanks, Patrick

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 pm
by philofab
I have a 302 with a manual and 35" tires. I have not been able to get over 12mpg with 4.56 gears. It actually did better with the 3.50 gears on the highway.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:07 pm
by damon1272
My personal opinion is that 4.10 work great for 33's and 4.56 for 35's. Some like 4.88's 35's and you could get away with it with a 4 speed, but you would still turn more rpm's on the freeway.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 pm
by bajascott
i get 11 with 3:55 and 35's 9 in the dirt.
4:88 would be better for 35. 5:14's even.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:28 pm
by RyanDS650X
5.8l with E4OD and I get 10mpg down hill with a tail wind... 35's and 4.88's but i love it in the dirt, where it belongs.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:36 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
I've got 315 / 75 / R16 with 4.10's with an e40d trans and a 5.8 and get somewhere between 14-16 miles a gallon. At 2200 rpms at 70.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:44 pm
by shockseals.com
35s with 4.56 and e4od. 10mpg. 11 or 12 on a roadtrip not loaded down with cc set at 70 if im lucky

160k on motor

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 pm
by BroncoDon
When I had the 3.55 gears I would get 400 miles from a tank of gas, since changing to 4.56 I get 300 miles on a tank..1996,351,e40d,33" tires...

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm
by SteveG
BroncoDon wrote:When I had the 3.55 gears I would get 400 miles from a tank of gas, since changing to 4.56 I get 300 miles on a tank..1996,351,e40d,33" tires...
Ouch!

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 pm
by AussieRod
I'd be puttin' those 3.55's back in right about now..... the extra 100 miles per tankful would really save you some cash :shock:

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:07 pm
by Nick
BroncoDon wrote:When I had the 3.55 gears I would get 400 miles from a tank of gas, since changing to 4.56 I get 300 miles on a tank..1996,351,e40d,33" tires...
Same here....I call bs on you guys that claim anything over 11 mpg.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:33 pm
by 94EddieBauer
Man those figures are rough haha, For me now I think Im just going to keep the 3.55's in. Seems like I wouldnt be gaining much except for performance....which I wouldnt mind at all, but Im not ready to drop big bucks just for more grunt.

Thanks for the replies!

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:38 pm
by bajascott
i really like the set up i have 3:55 with the c-6.lower rpms on the freeway and still enough lowend not to get stuck in 2wd.
swapping in the carbed 351x and bumping up the hp's also help me in my situation

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 pm
by philofab
When my bronco was stock, 3.55, m5r2, fresh 302, it got 15-16 mpg with a very worn set of goodyear 35" tires (read very light 33" tires). My huge fiberglass and front bumper don't allow that anymore.

I kinda wish I had kept the stock body and run 33" tires when I think back to that.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm
by tcm glx
AusBroncodoc wrote:I'd be puttin' those 3.55's back in right about now..... the extra 100 miles per tankful would really save you some cash :shock:

It will save you some cash, right up until you melt the tranny... lol

I am on the same boat as all other 11-12mpg, 35s, e40d on 4.56s. I have a theory I follow, I put gas, and purposely ignore reseting the odometer, its never gonna make you warm and fuzzy, and if you can fill it up, then dont take it out.. lol

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 pm
by RSR
If I could get 16 mpg in a Bronco with a lifted suspension and large tires, I'd hardly ever drive anything else!

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:30 am
by 94EddieBauer
Now Ford just needs to come out with a Raptor style Bronco thats gets 16mpg. They should take the Raptor body and cut her down to a shorter wheelbase with 2 doors and maybe even have an extended cabe style that has a 1/2 door. That would be really cool in my opinion.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:38 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
I pulled a pop up trailer and put 20 gallons of fuel in the bronco at pismo. That gave me just under a full tank. The f150 pulling an enclosed trailer got 28 gallons of fuel and the tank is 8 gallons more than my bronco. The f150 averaged 13.8 and when we got to wildomar, it had maybe 20 miles left. When I got back I had a quarter of a tank and made it to work and back. Mind you the f150 has a larger tank than the bronco.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 am
by shockseals.com
tcm glx wrote:a theory I follow, I put gas, and purposely ignore reseting the odometer, its never gonna make you warm and fuzzy, and if you can fill it up, then dont take it out.. lol
I reset it solely to know how far I can go...sometimes the gas gage goes haywire eventhough ive dropped the tank 5 times to fix it.

Re: 4.56 and MPG's

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 am
by shockseals.com
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I pulled a pop up trailer and put 20 gallons of fuel in the bronco at pismo. That gave me just under a full tank. The f150 pulling an enclosed trailer got 28 gallons of fuel and the tank is 8 gallons more than my bronco. The f150 averaged 13.8 and when we got to wildomar, it had maybe 20 miles left. When I got back I had a quarter of a tank and made it to work and back. Mind you the f150 has a larger tank than the bronco.

How do you calc mileage on "just under a full tank", "quarter tank" and "maybe 20 miles left"?

What F150 has a 41 gallon tank or why does your bronco not have the 33 gallon tank?