Coil Deflection

SandStallion

Coil Deflection

Post by SandStallion »

So im about to pick up a set of the Solo motorsports C&T beams cause they are a helluva deal, and i have a question for anybody thats ran any type of C&T beams before.. With the 4in. Drop brackets that are currently on my truck one of my main concerns is that at full compression im afraid the coil will bend forwards and contact the forward mounted shock, hence my bumpstop extensions. With the new beams should i worry about that too or should i be looking at new springs to fix my deflection problem. I toasted the set of ranchos that were on there previously and im not looking forward to replacing the more expensive Bilstiens. OR...something else i had considered, with the factory beam mounts and the 4in. spring, would the spring deflect outward towards the tire at full compression instead of forwards?
Ian
Bronco Info: 84' Bronco, Built 351W, C6, 4.56 gears. 4" over frontend, Walker wheels, 35" Toyo's

Re: Coil Deflection

Post by Ian »

I'm not sure about the deflection, I"m sure Steve will have some thoughts on it though. The one problem you will likely run into is that most C&T beams are set-up for a 4" coil. If you combine it with 4" drop brackets, you would have to run roughly a 8" coil to get your camber close. C&T beams are normally built to be ran with stock pivots. You"ll need to change your drop brackets out to stock ones.
SandStallion

Post by SandStallion »

Im ditching the brackets in favor of the Beams. I dont want an 8 in lift. Not speed friendly. I just dont want the coil to bend, or deflect, and take out one of my shocks. I went back and re-read my previous post and it does look like im trying to combine beams and brackets doesn't it?
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i ran mine with both shocks in the bucket for a short time,it diddnt hit the springs. i also dont have the bottom 1"perch in there either.
i diddnt run it like in dirt though,i went with a different shock set up.
you should not have any problems, the entry level kits that are sold by camburg are used with stock coil bucket and dual shock.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Unless the coils are super long it should be fine. I would just assemble it and run it.

On a related note, I always make sure the lower retainer doesn't clamp down on the coil.I usually add a washer between the perch and retainer (concave washer). This keeps the bottom of the coil from being twisted every time the suspension cycles. It can be noisy but I'd rather have noise than a broken spring.
Sho nuff,
SteveG