Leafspring Hell?

Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Leafspring Hell?

Post by Dezertbronco »

So I started a thread Called "Deaver F53s in a Bronco" and got some great tips but the Short of it is they werent F53'S. Close but no Cigar. Mods feel free to Move this if you feel the need.

New spring specs. 2.5 wide 25"3/4" Eyelet To Pin in the front 33" Eyelet to Pin In The rear. "it appears That I was In a hurry to snatch them up At the swap meet and Mis measured".

My stock Spring Specs are 3" wide 25"3/4" Eyelet to Pin In Front and 31"3/4 eyelet to Pin In The rear.

I pulled my stock spring off and started to install the new Spring in Place
only to find that The new spring was longer. and that the new spring is set up for a 1/2" shackle bolt in front and my stock boltis 5/8. The rears are Both 1/2".

The new 1/4" spacers have a 5/8 Shoulder so that should work out Good.

My worry is that I need new shackles and that really isnt in the cards this month Money wise. Will the 1 1/4" longer springs work and just sit taller or will they Bind?

Could I just have someone Lengthen my extra set of stock shackles?

Thank You all for your help.

~Matt
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
yogib

Re: Leafspring Hell?

Post by yogib »

Well the most important thing is your front bolt hole to pin location is the same.Keeping your rearend in the original location and driveline length as well. Lengthing the stock shackle will help for more movement before bind.Have you looked into moving the rear hanger back? I know thats alot of work but doing things right is sometimes.Im not sure if theres more room to do so, but you might check.Ive seen people weld a piece of square tube below the frame and move the hanger down so they can run an even longer shackle than 1" over. I have 1 1/2" longer but I had to notch the body just above it a bit.
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

No way to move the rear shackle back, its right aganst the rear bumper mounts.

I did bolt it up and the shackle defenately swings more than it did before.

I jacked it up under the pumpkin and put it under its own weight. It looks good but I am still worried.
gunit

Post by gunit »

The longer springs are better and all the your problems can be overcome, especially considering what you picked up the springs for.

My Bronco uses springs that are 4" longer than stock, I replaced both spring hangers with ones from an F150; the front mount is 1 3/8 forward and the rear is 2 5/8 back. In addition I lowered the spring hangers on the frame to allow for more room for the shackle to swing.
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 003.jpg (69.38 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

Gunit, Thats what I was thinking in the glass half full side of my brain. :idea:

It looks like I might just run them and start looking for a 2" Longer shackle.

Now to find a 11/16 drill bit to Drill out my angle blocks and find (2) 4" x 1/2 grade 8 Bolt on a sunday or F 911.

and it looks like my stock brake line is part or the T block mounted on the axle tube and does not unscrew? like the new brake line I bought, Looks like its getting strapped at brake line length For now.

All drooped out it looks to be 6 or 7 inches more than before.

And by lifting it by the Pumpkin and putting on its own weight about 3-4 inches of lift without settling compared to the other side which still has the stock spring in it.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Matt good stuff in this if you decide to have a set of shackles lengthened I have a set of stock shackles I would part with so you dont have to pull yours while its being done. You are correct on the brake line the block needs to be replaced I had mine strapped at the brake line for quite a while. One trick though is that you can pull the retainer at the frame that will allow the brake line to move more I ran like that for about a year before I got the longer line.
Jeremy
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

Polarcub wrote:Matt good stuff in this if you decide to have a set of shackles lengthened I have a set of stock shackles I would part with so you dont have to pull yours while its being done. You are correct on the brake line the block needs to be replaced I had mine strapped at the brake line for quite a while. One trick though is that you can pull the retainer at the frame that will allow the brake line to move more I ran like that for about a year before I got the longer line.
Thats what I was thinking on the brake line. Good to Know that someone else has done it.

Did you run those 5125's that I got off of you with your deavers?
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

So after a quick conversation with Jeremy AKA Polarcub, I have gone ahead and installed the springs and moved the 5125"s to Stock locations and strapped it at just abover full shock droop.

I took it for a ride and it is smooth as a caddy, its got boat car feel,

We will find out Next weekend in barstow at slash x.

Thank you all again for your help.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Dezertbronco wrote:So after a quick conversation with Jeremy AKA Polarcub, I have gone ahead and installed the springs and moved the 5125"s to Stock locations and strapped it at just abover full shock droop.

Glad you got it back together Matt, have fun! We will be out sat in barstow for testing with the car
Jeremy
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Dezertbronco wrote:So after a quick conversation with Jeremy AKA Polarcub, I have gone ahead and installed the springs and moved the 5125"s to Stock locations and strapped it at just abover full shock droop.

Hey Matt, glad you got the bugs worked out! Slash X at about 40-45mph and it should skip like a 1st grade kid over the whoops!!
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

I took it out to Slash x for a family trip with some friends and it was exactly what I expected. I can get 2-3 more inches of droop with another shackle and atleast 4" more than that with a good shock. it works great for a stock location 5125 and a set of springs.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Dezertbronco wrote:I took it out to Slash x for a family trip with some friends and it was exactly what I expected. I can get 2-3 more inches of droop with another shackle and atleast 4" more than that with a good shock. it works great for a stock location 5125 and a set of springs.

Good to hear that it was worth the headaches! :D
Jeremy