Okay guys here's the question I want to put in a cable transfer case shifter but I would prefer to just have a single handle shifter but all I'm seeing is twin stick shifters out there for my NP205.
Anybody know of a company that makes a single handle cable shifter? My main reason for wanting a single handle shifter is room on the center console. I have a Art Carr shifter on there already and a parking hand brake drone a late 60's Corvette then I want some cup holders and I would like to have a storage compartment. So I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, but I may end up with the twin stick anyways. Here are some pictures of what I'm looking at getting right now if I can't find a single handle one.
I never saw a single handle when I was looking (now years ago though). Most people twin stick the 205's because it's easy and gives you versatility. All the aftermarket stuff supports that. Most of the guys using them are solid axle and rock crawler types though. I was doing it on my crew for the ability to come home in front wheel drive should I ever break a rear axle.
Anyway, after looking at some of the kits and deciding to make my own I definitely think you could pretty easily convert one of these kits to a single handle. For instance in the top pics above, you'd eliminate one of the shifter handles and tie both of the cable connections to the single handle if I'm remembering correctly. The t-case shifts by the shift rails sliding just forward and backward. In stock form the single handle pulls or pushes both shift rails at the same time. Twin sticking the t-case allows you to do this independently with a handle controlling each shift rail. If you welded a threaded boss perpendicularly into the bottom of the shift lever in that first photo so that one cable could connect to the lever on each side then you'd go back to controlling both shift rails at the same time with just 1 handle.
You can also pretty easily make your own cable shift setup with minimal parts & fab. You could keep the 2 shift rails tied together like stock and use a single cable to connect to a single handle/shifter. I'd honestly think the "hardest" part here is finding a morse cable short enough. I grabbed 3' cables when gathering parts for my setup. The cables are hard to find in lengths shorter than like 7' though.
Most of the single lever shifters have what I'll call a "wobble plate" that the lever acts on. It operates both shift rails and relies on the shuttle pins to keep from doing something bad like putting front in low range while rear is in high range. To convert a cable shifter to a single lever I think that you'd need to make a similar plate. Dig up a pic of the OE 205 shifter and look at how the op-rod is connected to the shift rails. That plate is what I'm referring to.
i know they mostly deal in GM stuff, but since youre using a 205, have you contacted Offroad Design (ORD) they may have a solution for you or know someone who does
Most of the single lever shifters have what I'll call a "wobble plate" that the lever acts on. It operates both shift rails and relies on the shuttle pins to keep from doing something bad like putting front in low range while rear is in high range. To convert a cable shifter to a single lever I think that you'd need to make a similar plate. Dig up a pic of the OE 205 shifter and look at how the op-rod is connected to the shift rails. That plate is what I'm referring to.
I should have a picture of this somewhere if needed.