the E4OD information thread
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Re: the E4OD information thread
[/quote]
I had my trans take a shit at the 1000 this past week. A local in Guererro Negro trans shop yanked it, stripped it and put it back together with some parts(drum and planet) he had used. The planet set that came out was 3 gear and it was steel. The center piece that is splined was aluminum and it spun the splines out. He replaced the drum and planet set out of a 2wd 5.0 E4OD and they looked much weaker and were in fact aluminum. He also replaced the plastic washer with a brass washer. The case of parts donor was casted 31, my case is casted 33 on the bell housing if that means anything, mine is a 96.
It got me home and for a total of $500(with 16 qts of fluid and filter) to R&R, parts tank all parts and case, rebuild with used planet set while we sat in lawn chairs and slept on his shop floor...hell of a deal but it needs a real build now. 185k miles on that trans, it never got too hot and spun towing the RPM 2 truck to El Arco at 3am. He said all the clutches in it looked very good. Had he put in a heavy duty planet set or atleast one that looked like the one removed I would probably not even touch it.[/quote]
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
I had my trans take a shit at the 1000 this past week. A local in Guererro Negro trans shop yanked it, stripped it and put it back together with some parts(drum and planet) he had used. The planet set that came out was 3 gear and it was steel. The center piece that is splined was aluminum and it spun the splines out. He replaced the drum and planet set out of a 2wd 5.0 E4OD and they looked much weaker and were in fact aluminum. He also replaced the plastic washer with a brass washer. The case of parts donor was casted 31, my case is casted 33 on the bell housing if that means anything, mine is a 96.
It got me home and for a total of $500(with 16 qts of fluid and filter) to R&R, parts tank all parts and case, rebuild with used planet set while we sat in lawn chairs and slept on his shop floor...hell of a deal but it needs a real build now. 185k miles on that trans, it never got too hot and spun towing the RPM 2 truck to El Arco at 3am. He said all the clutches in it looked very good. Had he put in a heavy duty planet set or atleast one that looked like the one removed I would probably not even touch it.[/quote]
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
Re: the E4OD information thread
I've got a buddies trans at a trusted tranny guys shop in for a freshening up right now. The guy is a strong believer in leaving stuff stock. Are there any MUST DO mods that should be done when these things are gone through? Trans cooler and a shift improver kit from trans go is already going in, anything else? Moderate beating, no illusions of concuring baja. Just needs to be uber reliable.
Re: the E4OD information thread
======Seabass wrote:I've got a buddies trans at a trusted tranny guys shop in for a freshening up right now. The guy is a strong believer in leaving stuff stock. Are there any MUST DO mods that should be done when these things are gone through? Trans cooler and a shift improver kit from trans go is already going in, anything else? Moderate beating, no illusions of concuring baja. Just needs to be uber reliable.
Use 96 parts
PW
- AussieRod
- Posts: 2818
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
- Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
- Location: Downunder
Re: the E4OD information thread
Install the steel diesel planetarys and internals, that way its bombproof.
Re: the E4OD information thread
Thank you guys I'll let my buddy know.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
Since I wont be making 1000ft-lbs of torque anytime soon this is the list:cs_drums wrote:
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
all 3 planets to steel
modified valve body
billet HD TC
new OEM solenoid pack
all wear items replaced
$2100
Remac trans in san dimas and came recommended from Ryan Stewart (PPM machine, EX TCS Ryan) who machines his E4OD billet parts.
The steel planets are a $450 upgrade and he said he could go either way on a gas motor but I went with them just for peace of mind.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
shockseals.com wrote:Since I wont be making 1000ft-lbs of torque anytime soon this is the list:cs_drums wrote:
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
all 3 planets to steel
modified valve body
billet HD TC
new OEM solenoid pack
all wear items replaced
$2100
Remac trans in san dimas and came recommended from Ryan Stewart (PPM machine, EX TCS Ryan) who machines his E4OD billet parts.
The steel planets are a $450 upgrade and he said he could go either way on a gas motor but I went with them just for peace of mind.
$2100 all in including the steel planets?
- RyanDS650X
- Posts: 1868
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
- Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
- Location: Mesa, AZ
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
Thats about i what i paid but i went with the z pac clutches also.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.
"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
I spoke with Leo today when I dropped off. Very knowledgable and a ton of high end stuff in the shop. He guarantees his work and will work with tweaking the shifts and any other aspect until happy...so far so good. Thursday evening I pick up. He had a superduty on the rack with E4OD and showed me the break down and differences between a gasser and diesel trans down to material/heat treat differences.shockseals.com wrote:Since I wont be making 1000ft-lbs of torque anytime soon this is the list:cs_drums wrote:
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
all 3 planets to steel
modified valve body
billet HD TC
new OEM solenoid pack
all wear items replaced
$2100
Remac trans in san dimas and came recommended from Ryan Stewart (PPM machine, EX TCS Ryan) who machines his E4OD billet parts.
The steel planets are a $450 upgrade and he said he could go either way on a gas motor but I went with them just for peace of mind.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
That sounds like a nice rebuild, Kris. Considering It's semi-custom, that's a great price, too.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- economig
- Posts: 1101
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am
- Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
- Location: SW Riverside County
Re: the E4OD information thread
that sounds like a great price! gonna keep a mental note of it
T H R E A T Motorsports
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
Yes. Cash price.tcm glx wrote:shockseals.com wrote:Since I wont be making 1000ft-lbs of torque anytime soon this is the list:cs_drums wrote:
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
all 3 planets to steel
modified valve body
billet HD TC
new OEM solenoid pack
all wear items replaced
$2100
Remac trans in san dimas and came recommended from Ryan Stewart (PPM machine, EX TCS Ryan) who machines his E4OD billet parts.
The steel planets are a $450 upgrade and he said he could go either way on a gas motor but I went with them just for peace of mind.
$2100 all in including the steel planets?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Re: the E4OD information thread
I feel the same way about the not having 1000ft/lbs. I dont see needing all the 300m shafts etc. $2100 vs $3500 Sounds good to me. Keep us posted on how you are liking it once it takes a few beatings!shockseals.com wrote:Since I wont be making 1000ft-lbs of torque anytime soon this is the list:cs_drums wrote:
What are your plans for the rebuild? High dollar or ???
all 3 planets to steel
modified valve body
billet HD TC
new OEM solenoid pack
all wear items replaced
$2100
Remac trans in san dimas and came recommended from Ryan Stewart (PPM machine, EX TCS Ryan) who machines his E4OD billet parts.
The steel planets are a $450 upgrade and he said he could go either way on a gas motor but I went with them just for peace of mind.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
This E4OD is one heavy transmission! I struggled to get it in, in the rain only to realize I didnt engage the TC to the pump so it came back out and a couple buddys showed up who do tranmsissions in the dirt all the time while racing and traded them 8 shock rebuilds for a trans install. We finished at about the same time so it was a fair trade of labor.
Transmission shifts like a beast at anything over 2k RPMs. 3 or 4k rpms it feels like its going to rip out of the truck so I am going to have him tweak the valve body this week and calm it down. This is where his customer service will either shine through or leave me unsatisfied considering he said he would tweak the shifts until I liked it.
Transmission shifts like a beast at anything over 2k RPMs. 3 or 4k rpms it feels like its going to rip out of the truck so I am going to have him tweak the valve body this week and calm it down. This is where his customer service will either shine through or leave me unsatisfied considering he said he would tweak the shifts until I liked it.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
-
D1cker1
- Posts: 1255
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm
- Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior
- Location: ORANGE CUNTY, COMIFORNIA وس إنجليزي - عربي
Re: the E4OD information thread
Did you purchase a punisher or is it a stock vB.shockseals.com wrote:This E4OD is one heavy transmission! I struggled to get it in, in the rain only to realize I didnt engage the TC to the pump so it came back out and a couple buddys showed up who do tranmsissions in the dirt all the time while racing and traded them 8 shock rebuilds for a trans install. We finished at about the same time so it was a fair trade of labor.
Transmission shifts like a beast at anything over 2k RPMs. 3 or 4k rpms it feels like its going to rip out of the truck so I am going to have him tweak the valve body this week and calm it down. This is where his customer service will either shine through or leave me unsatisfied considering he said he would tweak the shifts until I liked it.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
Transgo tugger kit. No aftermarket valve body.D1cker1 wrote:Did you purchase a punisher or is it a stock vB.shockseals.com wrote:This E4OD is one heavy transmission! I struggled to get it in, in the rain only to realize I didnt engage the TC to the pump so it came back out and a couple buddys showed up who do tranmsissions in the dirt all the time while racing and traded them 8 shock rebuilds for a trans install. We finished at about the same time so it was a fair trade of labor.
Transmission shifts like a beast at anything over 2k RPMs. 3 or 4k rpms it feels like its going to rip out of the truck so I am going to have him tweak the valve body this week and calm it down. This is where his customer service will either shine through or leave me unsatisfied considering he said he would tweak the shifts until I liked it.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
-
-JD5353-
- Posts: 110
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast
- Location: Jamul, CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
If you don't mind me asking which torque converter did you use and did you see any noticeable difference? thanks
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
PDQ Billet Heavy duty...I cant comment on improvement until I get my bronco back. Dropped it by today and 100 yards drive he said its too much shift pressure and said he will rack it and have it back once he drops the pan and tweaks something.-JD5353- wrote:If you don't mind me asking which torque converter did you use and did you see any noticeable difference? thanks
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
-
-JD5353-
- Posts: 110
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast
- Location: Jamul, CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
Alright thank you. Please let us know how it is when you get the chance.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
To be honest I dont even know what kind of difference one would notice. The stall is the same, the difference is the strength of the unit/assembly being billet rather than stamped steel I thought.-JD5353- wrote:Alright thank you. Please let us know how it is when you get the chance.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
