Rebuilding an engine on a budget

User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

ok then ill just the stock 95 distributor
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by SteveG »

Skip the distributor. There's nothing wrong with the stock units. Make sure you use Motorcraft electronics as aftermarket replacements can have undesirable timing curves.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

i can use the one out of my 92? it says only to use a specific one.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by SteveG »

The distributors should be the same from the computer controlled carb in 84 all the way up to whenever Ford removed the TFI module from the distributor to the fender.

The distributor in my 84 is the same as the later model EFI unit.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

right but the gear is different. cast compared to steal.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by SteveG »

Right. The only source I've found for the correct gear for the roller cams is Ford Motorsport. I found out the hard way.

Mine already has the later model gear because I have a roller motor.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

i'm running a stock roller motor is my plan, so i could get a stock distributor from a1 cardone (steel gear) and that'd be okay? stock cam as well
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by SteveG »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:so i could get a stock distributor from a1 cardone (steel gear) and that'd be okay?l
Nope. The rebuilt distributors come with the wrong gear for roller motors. They even say so in the paperwork in the box. I mean it when I say you can only get it from Ford Motorsport. I bought an aftermarket gear that was supposed to be correct and it sheared in my freshly rebuilt engine.

I think I bought mine from Summit.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

can you veer me in the direction where i can get it? is there someone online?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by Nick »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:can you veer me in the direction where i can get it? is there someone online?
Check Summit, or Jegs.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rebuilding an engine on a budget

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

awesome thank you. summit has it for 24.88. Steel gear that replaces the one thats on my distributor now. Also, are they easy to install?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Post Reply