EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Removing "Unecessary" EFI Components

Post by SteveG »

Speed density is not able to calibrate for changes such as bigger camshafts, headers, cylinder heads, intake, etc. Mass Air Flow controlled engines can (to a point).

Personally, when/if I convert my Bronco I will stay with speed density and have the ECM reprogrammed to accommodate any changes. But, for most people, a mass air conversion is the simplest way to achieve good results as you only have to do it once and as long as you don't get really crazy with the engine, it will run well with any modifications you make.

The mass air conversion is fairly straight forward but does require moving pins around on the ECM connector and running an additional circuit/wire or two.
fat dude wrote:I am currently in the market for a FSB. So I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to point me in the direction best suitable for my needs. Weekend warrior, chase and pre-run, with some hp upgrades. I'll be doing all my own work, so trying to find a perfect platform to build off, motor and trans wise.
If you're planning to convert to a Mass Air Flow system, I would buy a Bronco that already has sequential injection as it is required for the conversion. I don't know which years came with this but I know the 1990 I got some of my EFI parts from is not sequential but a batch fire system.
fat dude wrote:Thanks in advance! And sorry for veering this topic of course.

Jake
No worries. Title edited to reflect new content.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
fat dude
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 pm
Bronco Info: 99 Ranger XLT, 94 F250 4x4 5.8 comfortable dezert creeper

Re: EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

Post by fat dude »

Thanks SteveG! Great info! Ultimately I'm looking to get a FSB with a 5.8 and E4OD so that points me to a 90-96. My mind isn't set on which body style I like but I'm veering toward 87-92, I love the drop center Autofab hood. Just need to narrow down the mechanical aspect.



So there is no way to pin point what years have sequential and or MAF?

What shops are GFB recommended for a dyno and ECM tune? Any links to detailed MAF conversions?

Thanks for that info!

Jake
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

Post by SteveG »

fat dude wrote:So there is no way to pin point what years have sequential and or MAF?
You just need to figure out which years are sequential by looking at the wiring diagrams. I'll look into it if I have time this weekend.
fat dude wrote:What shops are GFB recommended for a dyno and ECM tune?
I'm sure there are several but the only one I know of and deal with is JC Performance in Grover Beach. He'll be helping me with mine whenever I get it together.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
fat dude
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 pm
Bronco Info: 99 Ranger XLT, 94 F250 4x4 5.8 comfortable dezert creeper

Re: EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

Post by fat dude »

No need to go out of your way. I appreciate all the info thus far!! Soon enough I'll have a build thread and I'm sure I'll be getting lots of constructive criticism and input from that.

Thanks again GFB!

Jake
User avatar
Seattle FSB
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
Contact:

Re: EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

Post by Seattle FSB »

fat dude wrote:So there is no way to pin point what years have sequential and or MAF?

Specifically regarding Ford Bronco,

Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
5.0L - 1985
5.8L - 1988

Roller Ready Block
5.0L - 1985
5.8L - 1994

Mass Air Flow (MAF)
5.0L - 1994
5.8L - 1995 (California)
5.8L - 1996

OBD II
5.0L - 1996
5.8L - 1996


All Speed Density Broncos are "Bank Fire". This can be upgraded to "Sequential Fire" with a MAF Upgrade which includes a MAF Overlay or Replacement Harness for repinning a new MAF EEC. If you have a good running stock engine, maintain it. If you are upgrading to a modified performance engine, go MAF (Mass Air Flow) as this can much more accurately determine actual air flow, fuel ratios and spark timing. This would include adaptive strategies of a new MAF EEC, MAF Sensor, relocated ECT Sensor, open/closed loop fuel maps and timing curves to acurately represent the performance modifications outside of the inferred Speed Density programming strategies. The 1996 Bronco 5.8L Federal (1995 5.8L California) trucks are premium as they already have sequential fire roller block MAF EEC-V OBD-II. Unless you want a 5.0L...

If you are running a stock non-MAF 5.8L, forgetaboutit...
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

Post by baja-chris »

EEC-IV = OBD-I (Can be Speed Density or MAF)
EEC-V = OBD-II (MAF)
User avatar
Seattle FSB
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 1990 FSB MAF, 6.7L, Level10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
Contact:

Re: EFI Tech and removing "Unecessary" Components

Post by Seattle FSB »

Thanks Chris, my error for lack of clarification.

The 1995 is EEC-IV OBD-I and the 1996 is EEC-V OBD-II, which has an upgraded diagnostics program used by the EEC-V PCM. This is applicable to 1996 government regulations and requires an new test plug called the Diagnostic Link Connector.


Image
1990 FSB, MAF, 6.7L, Level 10 E4OD, Currie F9, ABS Electric Brake Booster
Post Reply