the E4OD information thread
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
If a 96 has the good hard parts, is it worth taking it to Culhane or Mogi for a rebuild or any reputable trans shop will get it back to new?
Are there any solenoids or relays in it for shifting that can go bad? Are they trail replaceable?
What cooler/fan combos are people running? Hotrod shit or Setrab/Derale/fluidyne type stuff?
Are there any solenoids or relays in it for shifting that can go bad? Are they trail replaceable?
What cooler/fan combos are people running? Hotrod shit or Setrab/Derale/fluidyne type stuff?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
I've heard the coast clutch silinoid tends to go. I have that problem. As far as coolers, I'm not too sure. I was looking at the derale setup myself.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Re: the E4OD information thread
======shockseals.com wrote:What cooler/fan combos are people running? Hotrod shit or Setrab/Derale/fluidyne type stuff?
So far success with controlled tranny heating. I run the oem trailer cooler that came with the Bronco in series with the largest blower cooler that B&M sells that would fit between the grill and AC condenser. The blower has a 180F temp sw + manual override sw wired with a relay when the ignition is on. I even have a 250F switch that turns on a red light in case I forget to look at the gauge. Now you know why my sensors are in the pan instead of in the tranny output line.
My Bronco never sees cold weather so I have bypassed the radiator tranny heater. If one does not have the stock trailer pkg cooler get a JY Ford 460cid cooler and flush it good and use it.
Blower is set to suck thru the cooler. No issues for engine heating.
Measure then look at the B&M web site then buy from Summit R.
Tranny coolers are always the plate vs the tube design. This is for lower pressure drop and higher quality/price. Don't know what a plate cooler is - go look at the oem coolers.
TIP: Always shock mount the coolers or the washboard roads will tear them apart. I use VW shock mounts on the desert Bronco, but Grainger has some soft ones I use on my other rig - cheaper. Get the softest ones or you will have to buy twice like me. Ha. Stock Ford shock mounts are good - rubber and flexy steel.
PaulW
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13700/ Is this one any good? Looks good to me but what do I know?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Re: the E4OD information thread
===hobbyturnedobsession wrote:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13700/ Is this one any good? Looks good to me but what do I know?
Tube type. Find a plate type
PaulW
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
But no blower? Whats the difference? Does it make that much of a difference?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: the E4OD information thread
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
- RyanDS650X
- Posts: 1868
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
- Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
- Location: Mesa, AZ
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... =14&t=1055
Thread on Trans Coolers and links to blower units.
Thread on Trans Coolers and links to blower units.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.
"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
- Silverslk
- Posts: 1932
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
- Location: Garden Grove, CA
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
I have this one. Hope to install it soon. I got a real good deal on it so I will use it.hobbyturnedobsession wrote:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13700/ Is this one any good? Looks good to me but what do I know?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
- magic carpet XLT
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
- Location: santa cruz
Re: the E4OD information thread
been trying to wrap my head around your verbage...so the fan is sandwiched between the tranny cooler and the radiator?PaulW wrote: Blower is set to suck thru the cooler. No issues for engine heating.
that seems like it would be pretty effective, also doubles as a cooling fan for the radiator then right?
how do you typically route the fluid?
hot from trans --> radiator cooler (bypassed for most of us) --> external filter --> OEM trans cooler --> blower cooler --> return to trans
Re: the E4OD information thread
==========magic carpet XLT wrote:been trying to wrap my head around your verbage...so the fan is sandwiched between the tranny cooler and the radiator?PaulW wrote: Blower is set to suck thru the cooler. No issues for engine heating.
that seems like it would be pretty effective, also doubles as a cooling fan for the radiator then right?
how do you typically route the fluid?
hot from trans --> radiator cooler (bypassed for most of us) --> external filter --> OEM trans cooler --> blower cooler --> return to trans
Yup - perfect.
Except I don't subscribe to the need for an external filter. The tranny has an internal one. And if the tranny disendegrates I will just buy new coolers. Racers spend so much for tranny coolers they send them out for ultrasonic cleaning when they change out the tranny. No filters from what I have seen?
PaulW
- magic carpet XLT
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
- Location: santa cruz
Re: the E4OD information thread
i've always just been of the notion that having an external filter makes maintenance for the DIY types like me a little easier. much easier and cleaner to change a spin on filter than to drop the pan once a year, plus its a free quart of system capacity. i don't think it really helps with cooling or much else tho. on a race car its just one more thing to fail, but this is gonna be my DD/camping rig/pre runner for a very long time.PaulW wrote: Yup - perfect.
Except I don't subscribe to the need for an external filter. The tranny has an internal one. And if the tranny disendegrates I will just buy new coolers. Racers spend so much for tranny coolers they send them out for ultrasonic cleaning when they change out the tranny. No filters from what I have seen?
Re: the E4OD information thread
The cheapest place I've found for cooler fans is this place.
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/ele ... ans-45.php
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/ele ... ans-45.php
- magic carpet XLT
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
- Location: santa cruz
Re: the E4OD information thread
another dumb question, does compression braking heat up the trans? like creeping down a steep hill at 15mph in 1st gear to save the brakes...
- baja-chris
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm
Re: the E4OD information thread
If you put your temp sending unit on the line to the cooler it will see high temp spikes that are normal but look alarming. When the converter is unlocked and slipping with high power there is a huge amount of heat created. The temp in the sump is a better indicator of your actual tranny temp.
Re: the E4OD information thread
===magic carpet XLT wrote:another dumb question, does compression braking heat up the trans? like creeping down a steep hill at 15mph in 1st gear to save the brakes...
Yes, the converter is always unlocked in 1 (& 2 and when coasting). The thing will get hot for your circumstance. The fix is install a lockup switch.
PaulW
BTW I made a mis-statement on normal operation. I said the TC unlocks on acceleration. I should have not said that. It will stay locked in 3 & 4.
PW
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
prerunning in sf i would shut it down at 230...hit that 3 or so times this past weekend in sf.
on saturday i got it stuck in 4wd from shear lack of power at crest of sand dune in town. i didnt bury it, it just would not go fwd or backwards or break tires loose and it wouldnt go into 4lo. i ended up unlocking hubs and then i was able to break tires loose and get unstuck. trans was not hot at this time. it fealt converter related. Wierd.
Cooler going in asap
on saturday i got it stuck in 4wd from shear lack of power at crest of sand dune in town. i didnt bury it, it just would not go fwd or backwards or break tires loose and it wouldnt go into 4lo. i ended up unlocking hubs and then i was able to break tires loose and get unstuck. trans was not hot at this time. it fealt converter related. Wierd.
Cooler going in asap
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
Re: the E4OD information thread
=====shockseals.com wrote:prerunning in sf i would shut it down at 230...hit that 3 or so times this past weekend in sf.
on saturday i got it stuck in 4wd from shear lack of power at crest of sand dune in town. i didnt bury it, it just would not go fwd or backwards or break tires loose and it wouldnt go into 4lo. i ended up unlocking hubs and then i was able to break tires loose and get unstuck. trans was not hot at this time. it fealt converter related. Wierd.
Cooler going in asap
When mine would not go into low it turned out ot be the linkage/shifter
PaulW
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: the E4OD information thread
mine is push button. light on dash would not come on either. never been an issue.PaulW wrote:=====shockseals.com wrote:prerunning in sf i would shut it down at 230...hit that 3 or so times this past weekend in sf.
on saturday i got it stuck in 4wd from shear lack of power at crest of sand dune in town. i didnt bury it, it just would not go fwd or backwards or break tires loose and it wouldnt go into 4lo. i ended up unlocking hubs and then i was able to break tires loose and get unstuck. trans was not hot at this time. it fealt converter related. Wierd.
Cooler going in asap
When mine would not go into low it turned out ot be the linkage/shifter
PaulW
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
