Door strikers

Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Door strikers

Post by Tchajagos »

In my effort to get my doors to close flush and not rattle I have come to the conclusion that this thing behind the striker must be used for something. Anyone know what?

MOSS2

Re: Door strikers

Post by MOSS2 »

I think it is just to keep your belt loops, gun holster, or whatever from catching on it when you slide past.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

The doors seem to rattle when I get them flush. Like an in and out movement. Is this just the latch being loose or old? I kind of angled these loop things down a bit to try and keep the door from rattling and it seemed to help.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Your missing the plastic bushings. O'Reilly or auto zone has em for like 6 bucks.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Lots of folks putting 3/8 OD surgical rubber tubing inside the OE weatherstrip surround on the Super Duty with "solid" success. Obviously your striker bushing appears to be part of the problem.

Anyone here tried the tubing on their Bronco?
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Your missing the plastic bushings. O'Reilly or auto zone has em for like 6 bucks.
That's would explain a lot. I tried to put on a new striker from kragens but the threads were not wide enough and it wouldn't tighten down. And then the inside plate came loose and fell down in there. Haha never a dull moment.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I replaced my plastic pieces-- forget the cost but its cheap.

On a side note--- Do you have any issues opening the doors? If they dont just literally pop open then, the latch needs a good lubing and a reinforcement plate behind the handle where it bolts to the door. Reason being, the steel is probably cracked allowing it to flex.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

They do still pop open.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Broncos are old and need some maintenance.
Instructions:
1) Use the stock pins with new plastic bushings. I hope you marked the location of the pin because Ford had it in the correct place when the sold it. If you did not mark it then its trial and error to put it in the correct place. Search for instructions.
2) Then if the door comes open replace of repair the mechanism in the door.
Look at the links and the latch for proper operation. If you cannot find the problem get a junk yard latch and test for proper operation.
When you are at it look for hairline cracks at the door post and on the door where the latch mechanism attaches.
The sheet metal at the hand operated lever often has cracks the can keep the linkage from properly operating the latch. This requires welding to fix. Search for the thread on how to. Fix all the cracks by welding.

To make the weather seal tighter buy new rubber or put backer rod inside the old rubber.
I tried to live with old rubber with backer rod and finally gave up and got new rubber. Works fine with nothing internal to the new rubber.
I still use external backer rod along the bottom where the door touches the rubber for a tighter fit there.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Buy strikers from the dealer. The auto parts store bushings are normally the wrong diameter and don't seem to work as well.
cypher
Bronco Info: 1994 Ford Bronco w/ Southwest Performance suspension

Post by cypher »

philofab wrote:Buy strikers from the dealer. The auto parts store bushings are normally the wrong diameter and don't seem to work as well.
X2