Will anyone be mad if I start a stupid questions thread?

EseLoco918
Bronco Info: 1981 with 351m

Will anyone be mad if I start a stupid questions thread?

Post by EseLoco918 »

Carburated engines and Broncos are both new to me and the one I bought is pretty beat and some stuff looks improvised.

I also just don't know a whole lot about making things run right but I am pretty good at changing parts once I know what I am looking for.

So, will anyone get mad if I use this thread to post pics of things I have questions about? I don't have good experience on some forums asking questions.

For example:

This thing that I believe is the PCV system is dumping nasty ass oil into my intake and ruining my filter.

It is lose in the cap part that goes into the head and the part that goes inside the intake is gone. Can I just get rid of the piece altogether and cap it with something or do I need to replace it?

Question 2,
I have heard that I can get rid of all the emissions controls parts, anyone have a source with pics so I don't remove anything I do need?

I also have a ton of hoses that aren't hooked up to anything...this pic sucks though
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Will anyone be mad if I start a stupid questions thread?

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Theres no such thong as a stupid question. Well maybe there is but these arent. Do you have to smog this bronco? If you do do not take the stuff off. Youll have more time taking it off and putting it back on than you want. Second whats the year? I cant remember. If its strictly carb and you dont have to smog it id pull it all off run breathers and put a decent carb on it.
EseLoco918

Post by EseLoco918 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Theres no such thong as a stupid question. Well maybe there is but these arent. Do you have to smog this bronco? If you do do not take the stuff off. Youll have more time taking it off and putting it back on than you want. Second whats the year? I cant remember. If its strictly carb and you dont have to smog it id pull it all off run breathers and put a decent carb on it.
I usually get yelled at because I "should learn to use the search feature" or something. I think all of the people that say that have never tried to search a forum before, it is awful. I don't think I have ever found what I was looking for.

No smog or emissions testing where I live, probably the only thing that could get me in trouble is not running a muffler.

Bronco is a 1981 with 5.8M

What are breathers and I literally know nothing about what to look for in a carb?

Also, I plan on doing the spark plugs/wires soon. Do the fancy MSD ignitions and other parts help at all?
hobbyturnedobsession

There isnt a computer system correct? Just a carb? Have you ever popped your head under a hot rod and see the chrome breathers? Theyre just filters to be basic. What motor oil are you running? How many miles are on it?
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

One Thing you won't find here derick is that there is no forum Nazi,or anyone that will treat you like drama rangers,etc..... Ask away,and if the thread gets moved,it'll be moved to it proper place or merged with another. SteveG ,nick,and yikes won't beat you up too bad....haha
Simplify the vacumn hoses to what is needed to run,and ditch all the smog stuff.
That is what I did,I have basicly volkwagonized my bronco......
EseLoco918

Post by EseLoco918 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:There isnt a computer system correct? Just a carb? Have you ever popped your head under a hot rod and see the chrome breathers? Theyre just filters to be basic. What motor oil are you running? How many miles are on it?
No computer, just carb.

Yeah on the breathers but which spots should I put those on...I am that ignorant to the needs of this truck/motor.
EseLoco918

Post by EseLoco918 »

bajascott wrote:One Thing you won't find here derick is that there is no forum Nazi,or anyone that will treat you like drama rangers,etc..... Ask away,and if the thread gets moved,it'll be moved to it proper place or merged with another. SteveG ,nick,and yikes won't beat you up too bad....haha
Simplify the vacumn hoses to what is needed to run,and ditch all the smog stuff.
Lol, I only go to DR for Club 18 and OT.

Seriously, I don't know which vacuum hoses are which as far as making this thing run.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i dont really either,but i just took all the smog sh!t and threw it away when i did my motor swap. all i have for vacumn is the little line that goes to the transmision. i have an edlebrock carb stock intake,plugged all the holes,and lines...it runs great!
hobbyturnedobsession

If you have a chilton and haynes you should definitely do ALOT of reading. It seems to me like youve either got a bad pcv valve or a motor issue. Mine gets oil in the intake a but but not much. Wither book will tell you where its at.
EseLoco918

Post by EseLoco918 »

I picked up a Haynes manual today at vatozone. My pcv thing is messed up. This bitch also has a ton of oil leaks out of everything that has oil.

I am thinking it might be easier just to let this thing be a beater and save my money to start a build a little more fresh. Or I guess at least a fresh motor swap.
hobbyturnedobsession

Do a swap. Save parts and build a motor your happy with then put it in.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I agree with the swap idea but start with a good degreasing and stop what oil leaks u can in the mean time. Some stuff is very simple once u can find its source. Don't spray the intake though.
EseLoco918

Post by EseLoco918 »

Well after thinking about my priorities right now and what I have, this Bronco is just going to be a beater, nothing more. I just want it to get me back and forth to work. I just have this problem where I want everything to be nice and go faster.

When I am ready to actually start restoring something I am going to look for something that wasn't completely beat to shit like this Bronco was. And yeah I really want to do a motor build, so I can really learn what I am doing in there and then put it in the truck I find later.
EseLoco918

Post by EseLoco918 »

Rmc wrote:I agree with the swap idea but start with a good degreasing and stop what oil leaks u can in the mean time. Some stuff is very simple once u can find its source. Don't spray the intake though.

This thing has been coated in oil for years, not even sure a couple of degreasings would get most of it. I am almost afraid to remove the grease for fear of things leaking worse :lol:
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

EseLoco918 wrote:
Rmc wrote:I agree with the swap idea but start with a good degreasing and stop what oil leaks u can in the mean time. Some stuff is very simple once u can find its source. Don't spray the intake though.

This thing has been coated in oil for years, not even sure a couple of degreasings would get most of it. I am almost afraid to remove the grease for fear of things leaking worse :lol:

I understand completely, I got kitty litter under a few also:)
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Most gaskets are super cheap but the bad news is most of the time you'll have to work fairly hard to fix those leaks... although to be perfectly honest, it's not even that hard. Youtube is your friend when it comes to learning about this stuff.. aside from that, I'd highly recommend picking up an issue of Car Craft, Hot Rod Magazine and Popular Hot Rodding to get a basic idea of what can be done to engines and why these modifications are done.

The best piece of advise I can give you is to start with something that isn't beat up because if you know you wont be satisfied unless you have working AC, power windows, nice clean interior and even fuel injection... it's cheaper to save up for a Bronco that's already in perfectly good shape. I'm going to end up selling my Bronco sometime this year (even though I've done a lot of work on it) because I know I want AC and power windows with a clean modern interior.... and Overdrive!!!
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

bajascott wrote:One Thing you won't find here derick is that there is no forum Nazi,or anyone that will treat you like drama rangers,etc..... Ask away,and if the thread gets moved,it'll be moved to it proper place or merged with another. SteveG ,nick,and yikes won't beat you up too bad....haha
If I had a dollar every time somebody in the off road community bashed DR.. well I'd be building a super gnarly Bro approved F100!! :lol:
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I have a stupid question... Why hasent el capitan springer taken direction to properly do a cut n turn?... as I shake my head n walk away. Gnight folks.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Because sometimes doing the right thing means doing the wrong thing a few times before you either get it right or eventually learn your lesson.

I don't think he'll be taking it down the highway to test it since he said he's going to jump it first so who knows. I admire his will to make it work. Many Bronco guys think the only way to build a Bronco for off road use is to swap to a solid front axle and yet many of us ignore that suggestion and build fast TTB trucks.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

My intention isn't to pick on the guy, I also admire his will.