Single Cab F150 > Stretch Bronco

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Single Cab F150 > Stretch Bronco

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:I went back to a thread I had on RDC to see if I could help you out, but you had already been there...

If you google it you can still find it, I don't know where it went on RDC though?!

https://www.google.com/search?q=goodman ... 0&bih=1024
Thanks Eric. I hadn't tried google images. Looks like the ones that show up are ones people saved off that skunkwerks feature & have posted/hosted elsewhere. Bummer that the original deal with all the pics seems to be gone :cry:

Firetwig wrote:Chasetruck... I am talking about the stretches to in particular. Looks like a F150 with a camper. What is the point? I could put a camper on my F-150 and bam! Look the same in my opinion. Broncos are cool because of how short they are and being a two door SUV.
As others have said - you're welcome to your opinion. Just know most of us here will disagree. As the others also said the 2 things you like (2 doors & short wheel base) are 2 of the things I greatly dislike... There is a pretty big difference between an F-150 with a shell and one of these broncos. Sure Paul's (the 1st 2 pics above) looks like an F-150 with shell based on how/where he stretched it, but I can guarantee you there is a TON on that truck your F-150 doesn't have. Also, with your F-150 with a shell thing - where is the 3rd & 4th seat? And please don't give me the "seats bolted backwards in the bed" deal.

All this leads back to exactly what Dustin wants to do = have the wheel base of an F-150 but the seating & lockability of a bronco.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Firetwig
Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco 1996 Ford Bronco

Post by Firetwig »

I can understand that... It is just one of the few "creations" I would greatly disregard as a vehicle I would enjoy. I only own 2 door vehicles and mainly. 2 seater rigs. With the vehicles with backseats, not being particularly passenger based in mind in my opinion.

"Walk-thrus" Why not do that with an F-150? Not like Bronco trim pieces would fit easily after being stretched and most guys here seem to like gutting their rigs and elimination much of the cargo room when they build a vehicle this much. Make a walk thru F-150 and if seats are important, the Bronco bench setup could be easily added and yes, to the bed since it wold virtually be the same as a Bronco.

Not saying our rigs are anywhere virtually alike in build but not my cup of tea. I am glad he and others like it though. Because honestly, when we build a rig who gives a flying fuck if someone else doesn't like it? They don't have to drive/ride in it.

Not to help my case at all, but I dislike campers too so that may be part of it... My shell spent maybe two months on the truck at all. I have a garage and a good heater so I went topless year round. I guess just not a project that speaks to me but I can respect the effort put into tigris.
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI RIP
1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1990 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7/T5 TPI
1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9/M5OD EFI
1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 2.3/AOD EFI
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Sounds like a Centurion candidate
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Considerations:
How to do the shell? What is shown above is 3 ways.
Long window like mine is very pricey , but maintains view from inside for the back seat.
The fat "C " pillar keeps the view from inside stock like the big window for much less cost since the custom windows are avoided.
The fat "B" pillar is a third choice which is definitely not a preferred way and only dont by first timers with little thought.
The Sandman Bronco has a 6-8" stretch using the stock shell by moving the rear axle back. Not a bad compromise. Fiberglass and new wheel opening cleans up the fender.

Length of the stretch
Make it long cuz the cost is the same for short stretch and long stretch. (except for the Sandman one which should be the lowest cost of all).
Minimum stretch is controlled by the suspension & tranny desired. Using a 9" and E4OD results in the longest minimum WB. Choose a C6 and you get the shortest Minimum WB.
Of course if you frequent the SF whoops then shoot for 120 - 122" WB for best performance regardless of axle & tranny.

All said and done the result will add a couple of thousand pounds and making the stock engine performance on the highway marginal. In the desert it is not as importment since suspension always rules.

Starting with an F150 is lame due to all the hidden extra costs for cab to shell and shell to bedsides/tailgate and many other things to many to list. Look at a Centurian and see why it as a bad choice.
PaulW
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

PaulW wrote:Considerations:
How to do the shell? What is shown above is 3 ways.
Long window like mine is very pricey , but maintains view from inside for the back seat.
The fat "C " pillar keeps the view from inside stock like the big window for much less cost since the custom windows are avoided.
The fat "B" pillar is a third choice which is definitely not a preferred way and only dont by first timers with little thought.
The Sandman Bronco has a 6-8" stretch using the stock shell by moving the rear axle back. Not a bad compromise. Fiberglass and new wheel opening cleans up the fender.

PaulW
So what your saying is that the goodman bronco and the jefferies bronco were done by first timers with little thought.... It really does not not seem all that stupid to use a standand top with windows and seals that you can acually replace. and if anything happens to it a new one with windows is a few hundred dollars instead of 7-8k and months out. Those rear windows like yours are are stupid expensive. and will probally get broken at some point in there lifetime. and if they get broken you have to hope the guy who made them is still in bussiness and you have a few k to get one piece of glass made.. I like your top the best out of all the ones ive seen, but cost has been a huge drawback for everyone i have talked too. Im not saying your right or wrong, but it would be like me telling you that you had very little though into your bronco because it is stock width and that is not the right way to do it. Differant people have differant needs and budgets. There is no right answer to this. And if a sawzall and a $100 piece of weather get a 3 or 4 seat prerunner for 25k instead of 100k and the guy only uses it a few times a year for a few days and has just as much fun then i say go for it.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Mark,
I like the extra wide "C" method which has reasonable cost and stock windows. I do not like the Goodman. It was not thought out due to the fat "B".
Anyway turns out there is a hotrod guy that will make shaped custom windows for way less than mine. In fact I only have on big buck window. The other one is flat tempered and cost way less than any other source. Just plain flat tempered glass. It’s missing the tint and it’s a big deal to get it tinted in SF. I would never recommend the curved laminated safety plate to anyone. So far nobody can tell my one window is flat plate, they do notice it’s not tinted.
Live and learn about custom windows.
Bottom line is flat custom windows is not unreasonable. Just make a call to any glass place. I have a custom window in my shop after I sent a chunk of metal thru the thing. Gave the glass guy a pattern, told them to make it 1/4" thick and it cost $75. It was a commercial full glass door. That was a few years back.
PaulW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Ma,
A custom top with stock windows is not expensive. Just a bit of fiber glass to make it fit.
PW
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

BUMP FOR UPDATES ON THIS PROJECT?!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

How about an extended cab short bed F150 with a TTB front. That would allow a little secure storage behind the seats for gear. Still a 2 seater. Just leave the bed open for temporary junk or get a sturdy glass topper. Get one with the short doors to allow best access.
Having said that I have an F350) extended cab with a pretty tough glass shell and even though I seldom go off road the shell is showing damage at the lift window. You would think I could get the thing to seal correctly and get the lift window to work better and not fall apart, but tough and strong is not what shells are about.
PW