Single Cab F150 > Stretch Bronco

SC150
Bronco Info: 1989 5spd Cantilevered Bronco

Single Cab F150 > Stretch Bronco

Post by SC150 »

So, it's been a long time and I've been debating on selling the truck, but got rid of my van and decided to put the money into a "phase II" on the ol' girl.
I've been threatening to cage it for a long time and have finally set aside the dough again. BUT, before she goes under the knife I wanted to post a few sketches of what I was considering and see what you guys have to say about the idea.
So, basically, I wanna turn the single cab F150 into an SUV. I wanna cut out the back of the cab, seal it, cage it for rigidity, and put a third seat in.
Please help me brainstorm on this and figure out any potential problems. Attaching some sketches of what I'm thinking to spawn conversation. Thanks. Dustin
Attachments
f1500-2.jpg
f1500-2.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
f150.jpg
f150.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Single Cab F150 > Stretch Bronco

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Just to clarify - are you thinking of using the rear section of bronco, or try & keep the current shell you have on the truck & then cut up the bed to modify?

I've done a lot of thinking about a supercab with a bronco rear section to make a stretched bronco. I've done a bit of measuring for this as well. Based on looking at it doing a bronco rear section on a std. cab, short bed frame, looks like it would be very similar to doing a supercab with bronco rear on a std. cab, long bed frame.

Personally I REALLY like the idea. It will be a LOT of fab work & then a good chunk of body work too, but I think with a well thought out design this thing could turn out unreal!

Not that you want or need them, but my thoughts on the deal are do the cage & piece in the bronco shell and bodywork around it. I like using the bronco rear as the shell bolts to a rigid section of body & therefore is a good way to seal the deal up.

I have a good grip on a good way to stretch a bronco, or do what you are wanting using bronco parts for the stretch. So if you are going this way & would like input let me know.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SC150

Post by SC150 »

I would just use an F150 shell.
What about plating between the cab and the bed and a rubber boot around the shell area? Or, just a rubber boot around the whole circumference of where the bed meets the cab?
Ideally, the cage would be upholding the structural integrity of the truck. I would just need to figure a way to keep it sealed on the inside. I'm sure noise would also be an issue, so I'd probably run an intercom or sound deaden the hell out of it.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I've had a stretch Bronco on my bucket list for a long time. Would love to see you do the single cab. What wheelbase are you trying to get to?

Chris
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I have done what you are talking about in the past... Minitrucks in 80s were popular like this. Google "walk thrus".

You would need to keep the cab and bed separate unless you solid mounted everything and removed the rubber body mounts.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

SC150 wrote:I would just use an F150 shell.
What about plating between the cab and the bed and a rubber boot around the shell area? Or, just a rubber boot around the whole circumference of where the bed meets the cab?
Ideally, the cage would be upholding the structural integrity of the truck. I would just need to figure a way to keep it sealed on the inside. I'm sure noise would also be an issue, so I'd probably run an intercom or sound deaden the hell out of it.
This is where the beauty of running bronco stuff comes in. It makes it a bit easier to seal the cab, etc.

A rubber boot can work, but the only shell I ever had the rubber boot leaked. Pretty much leaked from new. I think it's harder to seal a traditional "shell" than the bronco stuff due to how the bronco stuff bolts to the body.
This helps with the keeping it sealed on the inside too.

You are right in making the cage upholding the structural integrity of the truck. Something like this would call for a tight cage that is solidly plated to the body in multiple places. The good part of this is if the cage and rear body work are planned together the cage can make the rear section easier to do and can help hold the body panels, etc. to make the bodywork easier. Again this is where the bronco shines IMO. See Philo's post above for why.

Sound deadening will definitely be needed either way you go, but isn't super hard to do. If you can afford it - Line-X lots of stuff!
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Some motivation:
IMG_2112.jpg
IMG_2112.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
IMG_0487%20(Small).JPG
IMG_0487%20(Small).JPG (41.84 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
DSC00161.JPG
DSC00161.JPG (102.94 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
0503or_01_z1980_ford_broncooffroadi.jpg
0503or_01_z1980_ford_broncooffroadi.jpg (67.55 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker

Post by BajaBronco13 »

prerunner-bronco2.jpg
prerunner-bronco2.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
mm_dirtsports_oct08_01.jpg
mm_dirtsports_oct08_01.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Man these things are SO sexy!!!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Oh heck yeah!!! Do it!! Would be great in my opinion.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

That Goodman Bronco gives me chills every time i see it. Sooo badass.
Id love to see the F150 idea come to life, sounds cool.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
SC150

Post by SC150 »

Googled walk throughs like you recommended. Found a couple of photos. Here's a pic of the same idea.
Attachments
DSCI0455.jpg
DSCI0455.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Firetwig
Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco 1996 Ford Bronco

Post by Firetwig »

Those are disgusting IMO. No offense to those who may own them though I'm sure I've already offended them.
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI RIP
1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1990 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7/T5 TPI
1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9/M5OD EFI
1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 2.3/AOD EFI
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

"Those" as in the "walkthrough" pic above right?

Because if you're talking about the stretches like that I'm voting for a ban!!!! :lol:
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

Hahahahaha i have always thought that red one has been the sexyest bronco ever lol!!!!!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I vote for the Goodwin with the Norman one as a close second.

Oh and that reminds me - I tried to find the skunkworks pics of the Goodwin bronco on RDC the other day & couldn't find them. Are they tool old and gone now? Anyone know? I need to drool over that thing again - it's been a while.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I went back to a thread I had on RDC to see if I could help you out, but you had already been there...

If you google it you can still find it, I don't know where it went on RDC though?!

https://www.google.com/search?q=goodman ... 0&bih=1024
Firetwig
Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco 1996 Ford Bronco

Post by Firetwig »

Chasetruck... I am talking about the stretches to in particular. Looks like a F150 with a camper. What is the point? I could put a camper on my F-150 and bam! Look the same in my opinion. Broncos are cool because of how short they are and being a two door SUV.
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI RIP
1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1990 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7/T5 TPI
1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9/M5OD EFI
1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 2.3/AOD EFI
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

HAHAHA. The problem is we like Broncos for TTB and space inside (and security of that space compared to pick up) WE DON'T LIKE the short wheelbase because it is not conducive to going fast (at least not safely).

So, a stretch Bronco is the best of both worlds (to most of us). But best thing about GFB..... EVERYONE has an opinion and it is welcome.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Silverslk wrote:HAHAHA. The problem is we like Broncos for TTB and space inside (and security of that space compared to pick up) WE DON'T LIKE the short wheelbase because it is not conducive to going fast (at least not safely).

So, a stretch Bronco is the best of both worlds (to most of us). But best thing about GFB..... EVERYONE has an opinion and it is welcome.
Since everyones opinion is welcome, I will note that I actually dislike the short wheel base AND the TTB! Go GO Gadget A Arms!

SORRY FOR THE SIDETRACKING...BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND. I think it would be an awesome project. The tough part will be connecting the topper to the cab, everything else is just metal work and thats easy. I agree on solidmounting all the body mounts. There is a gree toyota rock crawler that All-pro bult that has the rear window removed and a third seat with the cab cage coming into the bed to protect the third seat. It's a crawler but it very similar.