93 Bronco Driveshaft Lubrication

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

93 Bronco Driveshaft Lubrication

Post by tcm glx »

So, i was getting ready to get under my Bronco and lube it all up today since I drove it all day in the rain yesterday. I was looking at the driveshaft, and could not find any zerk fittings on the slip yoke, or the u joints....

Whats tghe scoop? How do i grease it up?

I have a brand new shaft from Bronco Graveyard that I recently acquired, but did not want to drop it in just yet....
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Re: 93 Bronco Driveshaft Lubrication

Post by Andy Jones »

I took my drive shaft apart and greased the shaft by hand. then put it all back together. i had too use zip ties for the rubber boots.
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I think on the later model trucks they used a coated slip yoke (the male end) and no grease. We use a grease with Teflon on these types of drive shafts at work. The u-joints are probably just sealed units.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Use a hose clamp instead of a zip tie... the zip tie will fail and contaminate the yoke.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

You could get really fancy and buy a CV boot clamp kit. You can probably get one for under $10.00 and it would look like a factory clamp when finished.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

tcm glx wrote:So, i was getting ready to get under my Bronco and lube it all up today since I drove it all day in the rain yesterday. I was looking at the driveshaft, and could not find any zerk fittings on the slip yoke, or the u joints....

Whats the scoop? How do i grease it up?

I have a brand new shaft from Bronco Graveyard that I recently acquired, but did not want to drop it in just yet....
==========
If you have a coated one good luck. Do not lube it. The coating type is for the rock crawlers. Even the rock crawlers hate the coated ones.
If you can determine it is not coated take it apart and put in a Zirk. The DS guy shouldnt charge much. Or take it apart an lube it and put it together keeping the clocking correct. Use the highest temp grease you can find.
For the u-joints we use the solid ones you cannot lube and replace them if the get any slack.
PW
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Thanks for the tips guys. I got under there and it looks like its one with no fittings for greasing. I have a brand new replacement from JBG in the garage that does have all necessary fittings, so I am just gonna put that one on. Ill keep my original one as a spare.