Auto Hubs to Manual Hubs

Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Auto Hubs to Manual Hubs

Post by Andy Jones »

whats all involved in this swap? my auto hubs stopped working yesterday and I'm PISSED!! :evil:
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Auto Hubs to Manual Hubs

Post by philofab »

If you have 3 bolt hubs you need an aftermarket kit like the Warn one.

If you have 5 bolt hubs any manual dana 44 hubs will work.

Easy swap as long as you don't have top hat style hubs.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Post by Jasonj105 »

Top hats only came on 88's right?
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Jasonj105 wrote:Top hats only came on 88's right?
A few years around then. It obvious if a truck has them because there are no screws holding the hub on.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Sweet, thanks for the info Philo!!!
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

philofab wrote:If you have 3 bolt hubs you need an aftermarket kit like the Warn one.

Sorry if I am about to sound stupid.

I have the 5 bolt hubs. Can I find manual ones at the junk yard? If so, what would they be on? I REALLY need to find a set but on the cheap. Doesn't have to be TTB? Can be solid axle D44?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Silverslk wrote:
philofab wrote:If you have 3 bolt hubs you need an aftermarket kit like the Warn one.

I have the 5 bolt hubs. Can I find manual ones at the junk yard? If so, what would they be on? I REALLY need to find a set but on the cheap. Doesn't have to be TTB? Can be solid axle D44?
I know for a fact that the OE 80-96 manual hubs will fit, and I'm not sure why hubs from other Dana 44 would not work. Being that a Dana 44 is one of the most common axles out there and has come on Jeeps, Chevys, Dodge, International, and Ford trucks it's hard for me to say they are interchangeable.

Has one of your auto hubs failed? I have not been able to break one of mine yet.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

philofab wrote:
Silverslk wrote:

I know for a fact that the OE 80-96 manual hubs will fit, and I'm not sure why hubs from other Dana 44 would not work. Being that a Dana 44 is one of the most common axles out there and has come on Jeeps, Chevys, Dodge, International, and Ford trucks it's hard for me to say they are interchangeable.

Has one of your auto hubs failed? I have not been able to break one of mine yet.
Not failed that I know of but the first time I took the truck in the snow I had a HORRIBLE time. Could have been the Bajas (reason a cactus is on the side and not a snow flake) but I read somewhere about when trying to "rock" a stuck vehicle they unlock while reversing then dont engage right away when back in forward gears. Figured better change it in case thats the problem.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Silverslk wrote:Not failed that I know of but the first time I took the truck in the snow I had a HORRIBLE time. Could have been the Bajas (reason a cactus is on the side and not a snow flake) but I read somewhere about when trying to "rock" a stuck vehicle they unlock while reversing then dont engage right away when back in forward gears. Figured better change it in case thats the problem.
I have not had that issue in sand which is the closest thing around here to snow. When I turn the front drive shaft backwards when my truck is on the lift the hubs lock. I believe they only unlock when the tire is turning the hub going forward and not the other way around.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

Yeah. I can't say I have a problem just want to remove it from the list of possibilities. Everytime I have needed it (mud, sand, etc) it has worked only time I struggled was in the snow. Might have been the Bajas but I dont know for sure. I know a Suburban on Nittos walked right around me while I was stuck on the trail. haha
magic carpet XLT

Post by magic carpet XLT »

any d44 should work as long as they are for 19 spline outers. the factory hubs were made by warn and are identical to the basic warns, the premiums use a different hub dial. should be all over the junkyards.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

My auto hubs just up and stopped working about a week after i bought the truck. If you have the 3 bolt hubs, and go to manual, invest in a set of dental picks.

Life will be much easier.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Becks_Bronco wrote:My auto hubs just up and stopped working about a week after i bought the truck. If you have the 3 bolt hubs, and go to manual, invest in a set of dental picks.

Life will be much easier.
Yes I have a small Craftsman screwdriver with a custom bend and ground notch behind the tip in my tool box. Everybody that uses my tools asks if they can throw it out because it looks damaged. My answer is NOOO! that saves me much mumbling to myself and time when I have to work on Bronco hubs.