Engine cross member rivets

redrdr67
Bronco Info: 1999 F350, 1999 E350, 1995 F150 2WD

Post by redrdr67 »

So I really enjoy driving my 95 F150 but that horrendous metal grinding sound when it's warm after twenty minutes is getting louder than maxing out my cassette player in the dash. I'm aware of a service bulletin that Ford has had regarding replacing the rivets with bolts. I've found a few rivets that have that hollow instead of solid sound. Is there a band aid or short cut that anyone has successfully used(any kind of gusset, replacing one or two rivet etc.)? Getting a little too old to get underneath and grind cut for hours. I know what I Have To do but just wanted to hear from others. Thanks in advance.
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Re: Engine cross member rivets

Post by arse_sidewards »

I've never seen a hollow rivet on a truck.

IIRC the TSB basically said to put a bead of weld in a couple particular spots and to only replace rivets if they were obviously worn or had egged out the holes.

You probably could design some set of gussets and braces to do the same job but you'd need to over-engineer and over-build it in order to be sure that it works right the first time and doesn't concentrate stress in a small area or cause cracking. Getting it right would involve a lot of measuring and checking fitment as you go.

I don't think you have any good options that don't involve a lot of getting under the truck.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
redrdr67
Bronco Info: 1999 F350, 1999 E350, 1995 F150 2WD

Re: Engine cross member rivets

Post by redrdr67 »

Thanks for your reply arse_sidewards. Appreciate it. Regarding hollow, I had meant to say hollow sounding when hitting with a small head hammer. None of the rivets that sound hollow when hit are not showing any kind of evidence that they are loose. I have not seen a TSB regarding spot welding around the rivets. I'll check it out.
And regarding getting under the truck, I don't mind too much. It's the getting under the truck and grinding and air chiseling for hours that I can't handle as well as before. :-)
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

Worst part of working on these trucks is deal with rivets. I’d get a good spear tipped rotary file and hollow them on a little then start drilling on them.

It’ll suck but cry once and replace everything with grade 8s and stover nuts and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk