Spring Perch

User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Spring Perch

Post by Brad12 »

Is there suppose to be this much space between the axle tube and the spring perch? These are new perches from JBG. I apologize for this seemingly simple question, but I have never dealt with spring perches until now and can't find any pictures because people usually take pictures after they have welded them on.

Image
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Spring Perch

Post by SteveG »

It looks like you can grind the ends out a bit so they'll sit flush.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by philofab »

X2, those perches are made to be universal for everything. Because of that they are made for a 3" tube and out trucks have a 3.25 inch tube. You'll need to grind/fit them a little bit.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Brad12 »

ok that's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and did it. Once these get welded on I can go ahead and install my J40s, measure for some shocks and limit straps, and will be almost done with the rear for now. Thanks for your quick replies.
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
kjacko619
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:28 pm
Bronco Info: 1988 SB, 351, full roll cage, full McNeil Fiber,

Re: Spring Perch

Post by kjacko619 »

where / how do i find JBG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Spring Perch

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Brad12 »

I need to have a shop set the pinion angle and weld these new perches on due to me not knowing how to weld, how much can I expect that to cost? When I put my J40s on without the stock shim, the pinion sat at 0 degrees and the driveshaft was at 26 degrees, so new perches sound like my best option as opposed to having custom shims made.
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
300
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Spring Perch

Post by 300 »

If you really want to do it right, I would consider having a shop like or equivalent to Driveline Service in West Sacramento. They have the capability to tell you what the angle should be AND actually measuring it, versus the backyard welding shop. You are paying by the hour, and it really should not take that long to do this job if they are doing it on the truck. DS has treated me right some times AND reamed me at others, but they do know their stuff.
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Polarcub »

Brad12 wrote:I need to have a shop set the pinion angle and weld these new perches on due to me not knowing how to weld, how much can I expect that to cost? When I put my J40s on without the stock shim, the pinion sat at 0 degrees and the driveshaft was at 26 degrees, so new perches sound like my best option as opposed to having custom shims made.
If you provide the perches I am betting you can find someone in your area that could do it for 100-200 dollars, another option is to find a monbile welder and get everything set up so all that they have to do is come in and weld the perches on for you. You can expect to pay for an hour of labor for that. TO do it that way you would have to put the new perches on and leave the ubolts slightly loose allowing you to rotate the diff to the desired angle at ride height. THis is how we did mine when I ditched the factory block. Basically we pivoted the rear diff so that the yoke was pointed in line with the driveshaft. It has worked well fo rme but you can adjust as you see fit.
Jeremy
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Brad12 »

I called the local 4wheel parts store and got a quote of $432 for parts and labor. That included relocating the the shock mounts, which I'm not sure needs to be done? He explained that they would have to set the pinion angle, drive it to make sure it was correct, and if not, redo the process until it was right. That makes me think that they don't know exactly what they are doing but are willing to give a shot, not very comforting (and expensive). I don't know of any other reputable 4X4 shops in my area? Suggestions? Driveline Service in Sacramento is quite a drive for my Bronco currently, considering the difference between my pinion angle and driveshaft angle is 21 degrees.

I had planned on having a mobile welder come to my house to weld the perches on after I had everything ready to go, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable in my abilities to make sure it gets done right. I have already installed new rear hangers, shackles, and J40s, so all that is left is the perches. I'm just unsure of exactly how to set the pinion angle. It sounds like putting the new perches on, leaving everything loose, then rotating the pinion until it is directly inline with the driveshaft (leaving it 1 degree below to allow for it rotating up under load) has worked. I have not tried this, but don't you have to take some of the weight off the axle to allow it to rotate, messing with the pinion angle in the first place? It seams that the weight of the bronco is too great to allow for the entire axle to rotate?
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by philofab »

Brad12 wrote:I called the local 4wheel parts store and got a quote of $432 for parts and labor. That included relocating the the shock mounts, which I'm not sure needs to be done? He explained that they would have to set the pinion angle, drive it to make sure it was correct, and if not, redo the process until it was right. That makes me think that they don't know exactly what they are doing but are willing to give a shot, not very comforting (and expensive). I don't know of any other reputable 4X4 shops in my area? Suggestions? Driveline Service in Sacramento is quite a drive for my Bronco currently, considering the difference between my pinion angle and driveshaft angle is 21 degrees.

I had planned on having a mobile welder come to my house to weld the perches on after I had everything ready to go, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable in my abilities to make sure it gets done right. I have already installed new rear hangers, shackles, and J40s, so all that is left is the perches. I'm just unsure of exactly how to set the pinion angle. It sounds like putting the new perches on, leaving everything loose, then rotating the pinion until it is directly inline with the driveshaft (leaving it 1 degree below to allow for it rotating up under load) has worked. I have not tried this, but don't you have to take some of the weight off the axle to allow it to rotate, messing with the pinion angle in the first place? It seams that the weight of the bronco is too great to allow for the entire axle to rotate?
Labor at my shop would be $180.00 exactly. This includes aligning the driveshaft angle, tack welding perches, removing u-bolts, welding perches completely, and reassembling.

You don't need to take the weight off if you use a jack to rotate the pinion.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Polarcub »

I understand your concerns as I had never attempted this either. Once Bryan walked me though it it really is pretty simple. That quote you got seems hight to me and based on Philos post it is.
My advice if your uncomfortable with setting it up for a mobile welder to come out, start visiting shops in your area. Most driveline shops that rebuild rear ends can do the job it does not have to be an offroad shop. Talk to the shop tell them exactly what your looking to have done and take alook at work they are doing. You will get quite a range of prices and you dont have to relocate your shock mounts for the small amount of change you will see in the diff angle. THere is plenty of room. The shock mounts were not a problem for me when I did mine.
Jeremy
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Spring Perch

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

4 wheel parts is a rip off with some things. They wanted over 400 for an alignment! I had a shop do my pinion angle. Just told them to align the drive line and the rear end at the same angle. (Haven't put on the shackles yet). Once you see how its done you'll kick yourself for not doing it. I know I did once I saw it.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:4 wheel parts is a rip off with some things. They wanted over 400 for an alignment! I had a shop do my pinion angle. Just told them to align the drive line and the rear end at the same angle. (Haven't put on the shackles yet). Once you see how its done you'll kick yourself for not doing it. I know I did once I saw it.
They are a big company with a very expensive liability insurance and the quote is setup to protect themselves from losing money. Just because some else does it cheaper does not make them a rip off.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Spring Perch

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I said on some things. They rebuilt my rear end and did an amazing job. The price was good to, but when it comes to certain other things, theyre really expensive. Sorry but I think that if theyre going to charge over 400 to align the front end, that there sounds like a rip off to me. I agree they have to cover themselves but at the same time, its really not that difficult to align a beam truck. I'm just lazy when it comes to doing it, and the guy I know who does it alot is usually really busy, so I'm not able to go by and have him help me.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Brad12 »

I ended up having it done at a shop, but after getting it home it looks like they did not grind down the perches so they sit flush on the axle tube before welding them on. They simply put the perches on as shown in the picture in the first post and then welded them. Will this be a problem?
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by philofab »

Brad12 wrote:I ended up having it done at a shop, but after getting it home it looks like they did not grind down the perches so they sit flush on the axle tube before welding them on. They simply put the perches on as shown in the picture in the first post and then welded them. Will this be a problem?
It won't hurt anything, it just looks funny if you look at it close. It shows the work ethic of the shop though.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Brad12 »

philofab wrote: It won't hurt anything, it just looks funny if you look at it close. It shows the work ethic of the shop though.
I even talked to them about having them ground down to fit right!
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
User avatar
billy1911
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:04 am

Re: Spring Perch

Post by billy1911 »

Make sure the axle is centered with the frame. So you dont track sideways.
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Spring Perch

Post by Polarcub »

Brad12 wrote:
philofab wrote: It won't hurt anything, it just looks funny if you look at it close. It shows the work ethic of the shop though.
I even talked to them about having them ground down to fit right!
Irritating for sure. It is better to find out things like this though with a small project instead of a larger one ie roll cage, suspension etc. Sorry to hear about them not taking the time to grind them down but the upside is that it wont affect anything for you though.
Jeremy
Post Reply