Water Pumps and Quality???

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hello All,
I feel like this is kind of a stupid question and almost mulling over stupid details but I will ask nevertheless. In about a week I'm going to do a waterpump one 96 5.8- it's not leaking but I think it's got a squeek to it that's pissing me off. So there is the typical Oreillys WP made by Murray for $30 or you can get name brand ones like Gates or a Motorcraft for about $45 shipped. The motor is just a stock engine but I do want to use good parts. Any thoughts on some of these parts would be great. I used to just get stuff from the parts store and throw it on but I've just been really impressed with the longevity of the factory stuff.

Thx,
Natt
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Re: Water Pumps and Quality???

Post by Silverslk »

I replaced mine with Motorcraft. If it lasted 15+ years...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I would use Motorcraft.
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

What about thermostats? Any reason to not run one from a parts store? There's the Robert Shaw variety, NAPA premium, or Oreillys off the shelf??
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Parts store thermostats have a decent track record but I still only use factory thermostats.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

I prefer superstat or Napa premium as they call it now. Fail open is what I like about it.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Every time I used a damn fail safe they'd stick open. I stick with the motorcraft unit now.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I've never had a problem with flowkooler water pumps... http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

robertcrav wrote:I've never had a problem with flowkooler water pumps... http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/
I use them, too. They do not seem to last any longer than the cheap parts store version. Failure mode is typically the seal starts to weep and takes out the bearings.
Mesozoic
Bronco Info: '79 Bronco: 408C-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked

Post by Mesozoic »

The Edelbrock Victor pumps are really nice and worth the extra money.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have had a Eldelbrock water pump on my 302 since 1998 without any problems. I also have run the Napa Thermostat and I did have it fail once but it failed open and took a while to warm up on a cold winter day in San Diego.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I ended up just getting a NIB motorcraft pump off Ebay for about $45 shipped which is really a pretty good deal for a pump that would be going on a stock engine.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

I had a great phone discussion with these folks the other day......https://www.meziere.com/ps-1202-1170-wp374s.aspx
Mesozoic
Bronco Info: '79 Bronco: 408C-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked

Post by Mesozoic »

I found that the stock Motorcraft aluminum pump on a supercharged 302 did a pretty dismal job of cooling, even with a massive radiator and twin electric cooling fans in an otherwise stock '89 Ford Mustang 5.0. The Victor Jr. on the otherhand...
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

It's not likely the water pump that did a bad job. Aside from garbage, cheapo pumps that have inferior impellers, cooling issues are almost always not the pump. Even the cheap pumps don't usually cause cooling problems.
apache41
Bronco Info: 1995 Ford Bronco Solo Coilover front, Deaver Rear with Solo under bed shock bracket and hanger relo

Post by apache41 »

What did Meziere have to say ? I like the idea but 600+ dollars is a lot of coin.....