C-clip eliminater options and d50 slip shaft questions.

Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

C-clip eliminater options and d50 slip shaft questions.

Post by Seabass »

Hey guys. I'm trying to do some research on front driveline stuff and want to make sure I don't get go slow tech mixxed with go fast tech. Sorry lots of questions.
-Are the go fast guys running the larger dana 50 slip shaft?
-Can you get the same/more angle out of the larger joint? Is the spring in the slip shaft doable with all the rapid cycling of suspension?
Or is there another prefered way?
-I know a spring clip can be made for the 44 shaft, can the same be done if some material is taken off the end of the 50 shaft? Or will that put the join in the wrong position?
-Are the go fast guys running traction aids or open? With gobs of travel does it even matter? Still may spin an unloaded tire I'm thinking.

Some have suggested just going easy on it in 4wd and I won't have issues. The 50 stuff is almost free at the yard and if that can give me a little more confidence when giving some one a tug on a strap I think it may be worth it. I'm new to the TTB thing so I'm open to the voice of experience. School me on front end go fast stuff.
baja-chris

Re: C-clip eliminater options and d50 slip shaft questions.

Post by baja-chris »

Seabass wrote: -Are the go fast guys running the larger dana 50 slip shaft?
Some yes, some no. I'm building mine with the D50 slip yoke.
-Can you get the same/more angle out of the larger joint?
Same, but D50 has a stronger u-joint and bigger yoke to start with.
-Is the spring in the slip shaft doable with all the rapid cycling of suspension?
Yes, if you are talking about using a spring in place of a c-clip.
-Or is there another prefered way?
Preferred way is to use a 1980-82 bolt in stub axle instead of the c-clip axle.
-I know a spring clip can be made for the 44 shaft, can the same be done if some material is taken off the end of the 50 shaft? Or will that put the join in the wrong position?
Not sure what you are asking.
-Are the go fast guys running traction aids or open? With gobs of travel does it even matter? Still may spin an unloaded tire I'm thinking.
I run a Torsen front diff. Works fantastic in a go fast ttb. Tru-Trac is the common one. Can definitely tell a difference vs. an open diff if you are running to the limits of traction in go fast situations. YMMV.
-Some have suggested just going easy on it in 4wd and I won't have issues.
D44 parts are plenty strong. I'm using D50 because they are free and stronger so why not.
-The 50 stuff is almost free at the yard and if that can give me a little more confidence when giving some one a tug on a strap I think it may be worth it. I'm new to the TTB thing so I'm open to the voice of experience. School me on front end go fast stuff.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

The groove where the c clip or spring clip goes on a 50 shaft is just a hair different than the 44. There is more shaft after the groove on the 50 causing it to hit the diff's cross shaft before the groove clears the spider gear. The fix for this on the other site is a low tension spring in the slip yoke putting enough pressure on the stub shaft to stay seated on the diff's cross shaft.

I could see the stub shaft working its way out while pogoing over woops at 35.

What I was asking as far as maching: that extra shaft after the c clip groove, if you where to cut that material down until the groove clears would that put the u joint in a place that would cause vibrations?

I'll have to keep an eye out for the older style bolt style carriers.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

My Bronco has always used the spring trick. I've never had a problem.

It was open then I put a spartan locker in. Soon it will be upgraded with Yukon parts.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I had nothing but issues with the spring and finally went to the bolt in style out of an 81. Using the spring left me without 4wheel in the dunes and a diff full of spline shavings from the slip shift coming in and out of the 3rd. Maybe pick Philo's brain about his technique, or hit the bone yard for a bolt in.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

You have to tack weld the cap onto the slip yoke, and use the correct spring. Too much spring pressure or too little will both create problems. I wish I had paid more attention to what spring I used. I know a valve spring is WAY to stiff.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Next time I'm at the yard I'll have to start looking for all this stuff.

Any one running the d50 diff as well? I'm under the impression parts are harder to come by, ie gears. Is the strength gained worth the unsprung weight? Any one know how much more they weigh? If I find the bolt on style I may just run the whole d50 set up seeing how odds are I may not find an 81-82 f250 and an 81-82 f150/bronco to quick.

It'll probably boil down to what I find first. I read some where that detroit actually made a "spring kit". I'll have to go back to googling up on it.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Seabass wrote:Next time I'm at the yard I'll have to start looking for all this stuff.

Any one running the d50 diff as well? I'm under the impression parts are harder to come by, ie gears. Is the strength gained worth the unsprung weight? Any one know how much more they weigh? If I find the bolt on style I may just run the whole d50 set up seeing how odds are I may not find an 81-82 f250 and an 81-82 f150/bronco to quick.

It'll probably boil down to what I find first. I read some where that detroit actually made a "spring kit". I'll have to go back to googling up on it.

I've never seen a D50 with a bolt on axle.

Weight wise I don't think there is a deference. Weak point will still be the 30 spline axles.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

philofab wrote:
Seabass wrote:Next time I'm at the yard I'll have to start looking for all this stuff.

Weight wise I don't think there is a deference. Weak point will still be the 30 spline axles.

I had to use a D44 bolt on stub shaft and machine the D50 housing to accept it.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
DirtFiend602
Bronco Info: 86' go faster

Post by DirtFiend602 »

I know Joel had posted some pictures and more info but I cant find it. Im about to do this, and wanted to know if its worth sourcing a d50 slip shaft or just reusing the 44. I have no idea where to start to look for a spring, and lastly, should i leave the c clip in there in addition to the spring mod, and do I need to be clearancing any of these joints? .... Thanks - Ryan
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Honestly i tried this route and it didnt work for me. Save yourself the hassel and find a bolt on D44 stub shaft.

-shockseals.com
DirtFiend602

Post by DirtFiend602 »

This is all completely foreign to me... bolt on stub shaft?? Forgive the naivety.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

DirtFiend602 wrote:This is all completely foreign to me... bolt on stub shaft?? Forgive the naivety.
I thought I knew everything about ttb dana 44 ;) I am not farmiliar with this as well. Anyone have any pics?
DirtFiend602

Post by DirtFiend602 »

Maybe he is talking about the 81-83 bolt on housing or something, I dont understand how you can bolt on a slip shaft... but while i have everything apart , id REALLY like to mitigate any potential problems that will leave me stranded.
DirtFiend602

Post by DirtFiend602 »

Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

Here is the 1982 D44 center with the 3 Bolt configuration
Attachments
3 Bolt Yoke on beam
3 Bolt Yoke on beam
drd44.JPG (216.72 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
"And God bless the United States of America!"
Elwood Blues -1980
DirtFiend602

Post by DirtFiend602 »

Thank you!!!!!!!! I dont think a 3 bolt third member will cost much at drive 4x4 here ( bronco graveyard), will probably just go with that and call it good!
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

philofab wrote:

Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (294.56 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

-shockseals.com
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Seabass wrote:Hey guys. I'm trying to do some research on front driveline stuff and want to make sure I don't get go slow tech mixxed with go fast tech. Sorry lots of questions.

Some have suggested just going easy on it in 4wd and I won't have issues. The 50 stuff is almost free at the yard and if that can give me a little more confidence when giving some one a tug on a strap I think it may be worth it. I'm new to the TTB thing so I'm open to the voice of experience. School me on front end go fast stuff.
==
Chris answered all your questions.
I would say the TTB 44 is good enough. They are hard to brake unless you are a rock crawler. Go fast seldom needs low/low. Want the strongest setup then go buy a set of $RCV$ axles and just use a bolted D44. Jumping with a 44 or 50 wll probably be an issue even with the unbrakable axles.
The only issues with a bolted diff or TTB are wornout parts. Joint and bearings and seals do not last forever. Starting with the early bolted diff and not replacing the bearings will lead to worn out bearings and seals.
The spring thing is very common from what I have read, and yes there are guys that do it all wrong from neglecting to weld the cap to using the wrong spring. I measured the angle on the crossover joint 44 vs 50 and there was little difference. Biggest drawback for using a 50 is the 8 lugs. Get custom stubs and use 5x5.5 and it would be much better. I bet RCV has what you need for a 50.
PaulW