Scott's 96' Interceptor

CBDuner
Bronco Info: Wishing I had one!

Scott's 96' Interceptor

Post by CBDuner »

Just picked this up today, am pretty excited. 1996 Bronco XLT with Police Interceptor badging. From what I've been told, the engine was a police package from Ford. I don't know this for sure, just what I've been told.

351W - Police "chipped", K&N, Heddman headers, Y-pipe, single 3" exhaust.
E4OD - Supposedly an HD that was used in the diesel trucks (again, can anybody confirm this or know how to confirm it). Has a factory cooler though, which is nice.

Quad shock front end, all new shocks, polyurethane bushings, new tires, alignment and brake job done 1 month ago. Tranny was serviced last year. Got all the state maintenance records, been running Castrol Synthetic since new, oil changed every 2500-3500 miles....seems a little overkill, but good I guess.

Front bumper looks like the classic Warn front bumper. It's housing a Warn 8274. Also has Warn Premium hubs. The bumper is coming off and going up for sale, may keep the winch for a future project. For now I plan on building a bumper and finding some Alcoas, and just enjoying driving it until I get my F250 sold. Then the real fun begins! :mrgreen:

Last edited by CBDuner on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Scott's 96' Interceptor

Post by philofab »

Most likely the ECM just has the governor removed and the PSOM has been "certified calibrated". It may have blue goodyear hi miler hoses too.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Yeah, I can't find much online info on this thing. I bought it because it was clean, low miles, and was equipped how I wanted one. This "police interceptor" package thing was kind of extra icing on the cake, along with the exhaust.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Never seen one of those - but that thing is cool. LOVE the sticker on the dash about OD in a pursuit!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ryan B
Bronco Info: prerunner

Post by ryan B »

It's got a cop motor, , it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks....
Attachments
blues_brothers_elwood_blues.png
blues_brothers_elwood_blues.png (124.1 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Did they leave the wig-wag relays and strobes in it? Does it have 3.55 gears?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious to imagine a Bronco in hot pursuit?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
navynuke
Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies

Post by navynuke »

Maybe it was for chasing OJ down next time he does a low speed run. :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious to imagine a Bronco in hot pursuit?
You can pull 95% of people over with anything. They don't run.

Speaking of that. Lots of cops here have Expeditions, Tahoes, and Super Crews.
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

All the lights, console with radio's and such, and PA system were available, but the guy I got it from didn't take them.

It's pretty fun driving it around. On the drive home, I'd slow down to 65 and watch people come up on me, then slow way down and get behind me. :lol: Every cop I passed waved at me, have had 2 local cops wave now as well. These best part was coming up behind people on HWY 42 (windy highway where you constantly catch people going 35-40 mph!) and having them pull over out of my way!
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Oh and yeah, it's got 3.55 gears.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

SteveG wrote:Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious to imagine a Bronco in hot pursuit?
OJ Simpson style...but the bronco on the chase, not on the run. Hahaha
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

So I'm making my shopping list for the Bronco. When cash rolls in, I'm gonna gather all my stuff so I can get this thing built without too much down time. Plus am extremely anxious to get going on it.

Springs I've got figured out, getting beams from a member here, making my own radius arms and shock mounts front and rear. Now I'd love to just go big on everything and go FOX 2.5 all around on this thing, but I think baby steps is best. Both for my budget and because I'd hate to dump a ton of money into shocks and never even use it to it's full potential. Again, this is a DD. I've got my sand rails for going really fast.

So I'm going to start with Bilsteins. 5150 12" stroke 255/70 for the rear with new upper shock mounts. I know, 10" with stock mounts would be plenty, but I want to build something, and the shock mounts are real simple and it'll be done with I want to upgrade.

Then dual 5125's in the front, I don't want the stud mounts of the 5100's and limit travel to 12". Again, i know I'd probably be happy with stock dual buckets, but I'll be stubborn and build new mounts....cuz I want to! :D

So my question is what valving and lengths. I'm assuming 10" behind and 12" in front of coil. Or should I go 12" - 14"? That might be too much down travel for the stock width beams, 4" coils and axle bind. What valving rates. Bilstein doesn't give specs on their 5100's.

Thanks again in advance, this site is great!
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Would this 7100 series valving guide by applicable to their other series of shocks? http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORvg.asp

According to that, the front of a Bronco would need 2 7100's valved at 180/75. So would 2 5100, 5125, 5150's valved at around 180/75 be what I need?

Sorry guys for my ignorance. Trying to learn, never dealt with Bilstein's before, or really any shock valving. Usually get our Fox shocks prevalved from our dealer, so have never messed with anything but coils, and adjusting by-passes.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Joel from Bilstein usually chimes in here, I will send him the link so he can see it.

As for the shocks, the 5100's work great on these, and you can pull 12-13" of travel with no issue on it. I know you reallly want to build something, but these just drop in if you have the dual coil bubckets, and your set. I ran them for 6 months before going to coilovers, and was amazed at how well they work.
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Did you run the factory bump stop with a 4" coil? And limit straps. Well, if I can't figure this valving out and prices start getting too high, I may settle for the 5100's. I'm actually thinking about the 6100's now. Seem they would make a very good setup.

2 - 12" 6100's w/ 360/80 valving for rear - $125 per shock

2 - 10" 6100's w/ 180/75 valving for front - $118 per shock

2 - 12" 6100's w/ 170/60 valving for front - $125 per shock

Total = $736

But I could probably find used 2.5's for around that, but then add the cost of sending them off for rebuild, revalve. Hmmm...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

CBDuner wrote:Did you run the factory bump stop with a 4" coil? And limit straps. Well, if I can't figure this valving out and prices start getting too high, I may settle for the 5100's. I'm actually thinking about the 6100's now. Seem they would make a very good setup.

2 - 12" 6100's w/ 360/80 valving for rear - $125 per shock

2 - 10" 6100's w/ 180/75 valving for front - $118 per shock

2 - 12" 6100's w/ 170/60 valving for front - $125 per shock

Total = $736

But I could probably find used 2.5's for around that, but then add the cost of sending them off for rebuild, revalve. Hmmm...
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2102435932.html
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Just priced out the above shocks and 5100's all around and was only a $200 difference at allshocks.com. I think the extra travel and performance would be well worth the extra $200. Unless I find somebody upgrading from their 5100's and get them cheap.
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Ok, thanks. I'll be watching the classifieds and craigslist then. Think I've got my shock options figured out, but if Joel could come in and comment or correct, that would be great.
randomthoughtsracing

Post by randomthoughtsracing »

Joel here, if I read correctly the question is which 7100 valving would be good for a Bronco. One little known secret of the 7100 is that it can be custom ordered with a valving not found on the chart. So if you were looking for a 7110sb you would order the 7110sb99 (the 99 indicates a custom valving instead of an 02 or 06 valving from the chart). Then specify that you want the valving from say a F4-BE5-6244-H5 (bronco rear 5100).