Introducing a new APEMFB member!

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Introducing a new APEMFB member!

Post by AussieRod »

Many of you have met my brother Mike, on the last BAJAHID trip. Today, he has joined the brotherhood and made the first step to owning his first Bronco. We found it on the local internet and I made the trip down to the big smoke to go out with him and look it over. It's an '82 XLT, 5.8C, C6, etc. and in reasonable shape. The flexplate is stuffed (from using a manual starter), so the owner gave us a generous discount and Mike paid a deposit. We will go pick it up next weekend. I saved the owners pics from the ad, as I didn't take my camera and we weren't sure he wanted it:
$_20.JPG
$_20.JPG (64.89 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
$_21.JPG
$_21.JPG (79.43 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
$_24.JPG
$_24.JPG (66.97 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
$_22.JPG
$_22.JPG (79.74 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
$_23.JPG
$_23.JPG (81.27 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
It definately needs some TLC, so once we pick it up, it's coming to my place for a top to bottom once over, replace the flexplate and get it running for it's roadworthy inspection, then tear into it to get it up to scratch. More to follow. :D
Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Re: Introducing a new APEMFB member!

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

Nice looking!! Curious as this is the first time I have seen a RHD Bronco. Which side is the transfer case drop on? Where is the propane tank mounted and how large is it?
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Hillbilly Heaven wrote:Nice looking!! Curious as this is the first time I have seen a RHD Bronco. Which side is the transfer case drop on? Where is the propane tank mounted and how large is it?
Everything is exactly the same as a us Bronco, except for the steering column being on the opposite side. The propane tank replaced the fuel tank under the back, it's using an Impco carb for straight propane.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

sweet.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Getting ready to pick it up Saturday. I'm off work for a week with a badly sprained ankle, which I hope won't give me trouble during the pick-up.
A few positives about his new purchase:
Bolt-in front third member.
Factory braced 9" housing (I"ll post pics later after it gets home).
351C engine (Aus Broncos from 80 to 84 had these, then went 5.0 EFI in "85).
C6/NP208 combo (compatible with my current spares inventory).
Already has propane installed and the old fuel system still in situ, so easy to re-instate.
XLT interior.
NO power windows.
Was originally a manual and we might still go back to NP435.

Negatives:
Has rust forming in the cowl/firewall joint. This is standard for Aus F trucks and Broncos, due to the poor sealing used at the factory. This will be attended to promptly.
Needs both rear axle bearings and seals replaced, and new pumpkin gasket (all leaking).
Rust in the usual places and a few other spots needing TLC.
B&M shifter.
Engine bay painted shitty flat black.
needs some SERIOUS TLC all over.

I'll take heaps of pics and start a list once I get it running (may only need a correct starter) and go from there. A trip to the us for some go-fast stuff might be in order, too ;) More to follow after the weekend.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Well, it's home (at my place) locked in the garage for now. The flexplate is completely stuffed and it is a prick to get started (much turning engine with fan to get past the missing teeth), but it runs "ok". The pitman arm is loose and it is interesting to drive on our uneven highway surfaces, but I got it home safe. Gonna order some bits off eBay tonight and work out a plan of attack, then get stuck in. I'll post pics, etc. over the next few days.
Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Did some testing/work on Mike's Bronco yesterday and today. First, I managed to get it started and out of the garage, and after it warmed up, did a compression test and gave it a bit more of a detailed look over. Without the spark plugs, it turns over pretty well, and allowed me to get 7 of the cylinders tested. The last one seems to hit the compression stroke just as it hits the stuffed spot on the flexplate, so I gave up at that. I didn't want to ruin the starter pinion on the hi-torque starter.

The comp test was disappointing, 2 cylinders are 60 psi, the others 140 to 150 psi. A few shots of oil brought them up to 140 or so, so I conclude that those 2 cylinders have both compression rings broken. Surprisingly, on the trip to my place (approx. 200 km), it blew zero oil smoke and ran quite well on the highway. However, above 60 mph, the oil pressure drops alarmingly to below the L on the gauge. Below 60, at stays around the low part of the normal range. There is plenty of oil in the oil pan, according to the dipstick, so further investigation internally will be required.

We've made an executive decision and decided to pull his engine from my F100 and install it with a new flexplate, front convertor seal, etc, and get it running properly. I lose the good engine in my truck, but I get the complete engine from the Bronco to refresh. The RH header will need to be welded up, as the rear primary pair have broken off at the collector joint. Having the engine out, I will clean up the frame, firewall and inner fenders and do some painting and re-do the wiring to make it reliable and MUCH neater than the snarly mess that's in there now.

A few things will change:
Remove the sway bars front and rear (the front one in wrecking one of the front shocks).
Put it up on stands and go over the brakes, steering and suspension.
Put levelling springs in the front and get it correctly aligned.
It has odd offset rims diagonally, so they need to be swapped around to make the front track correctly.
New 3" muffler and tail pipe.
Sort out the slack in the steering. This is the MOST important at this time, the bloody thing is dangerous as it stands and could kill him if it isn't rectified.

Other than that, I will update as I get the work done, hopefully the engine will be out tomorrow night and I can start cleaning up things and get ready for the heart transplant once the flexplate arrives.

Until then, pictures:
As it came put yesterday, prior to comp test:
P1010620.JPG
P1010620.JPG (84.88 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
engine bay:
P1010621.JPG
P1010621.JPG (73.03 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
P1010622.JPG
P1010622.JPG (75.69 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
the Aussie bronco diff housing;
P1010623.JPG
P1010623.JPG (73.92 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Shiity muffler fitted, 3" Y to 2" crap strangler:
P1010624.JPG
P1010624.JPG (84.47 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

More pics:
Garbage exhaust:
P1010625.JPG
P1010625.JPG (89.74 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Notice the fully collapsed drivshaft?
P1010626.JPG
P1010626.JPG (74.15 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Rear housing from front:
P1010627.JPG
P1010627.JPG (74.05 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Bolt-in 3rd:
P1010628.JPG
P1010628.JPG (65.28 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Level as purchased:
P1010630.JPG
P1010630.JPG (87.2 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
What it should be with levelling springs:
P1010629.JPG
P1010629.JPG (74.84 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
More to come.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Thursday:
It's pissing down rain tonight (and most of the day), so I was fortunate to have decided to pull the engine yesterday. I started with carefully removing all the front trim and radiator support. I have to say, after seeing what previous owners / repairers have done to this poor machine (and my truck, for that matter) I'm starting to think that when workshops "work" on these things, it is a competition to see who can do the WORST job possible. The number of odd bolts (sizes, lengths and types) used to cobble the front of this Bronco together has me completely flabbergasted. I didn't take pictures of all the f**kups I found, I'd have run out of space on the disc. Suffice to say, I took my time, got everything apart neatly without breaking anything and cleared the front of the engine for removal:
P1010631.JPG
P1010631.JPG (75.8 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
While removing the alternator, I noticed the bad mis-alignment and multiple "spacers" used to douche the install of the INCORRECT type of alternator for the application:
P1010632.JPG
P1010632.JPG (85.73 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
It was dark by the time I pulled the engine, put it on the engine stand to drain the fluids , pull the Bronco back out of the garage to it's resting spot (allows me to lock the garage) and snap a few final pics:
P1010634.JPG
P1010634.JPG (87.53 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
P1010635.JPG
P1010635.JPG (89.93 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
The flex plate:
P1010636.JPG
P1010636.JPG (78.55 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
P1010637.JPG
P1010637.JPG (88.29 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Over the weekend, I will CAREFULLY remove the engine from my truck and get it ready for the install in the Bronco. I have to clean up the engine bay, chassis and surrounding area before it goes back in. Hopefully, I can make it look at least as neat and clean as my truck looks so it will be pleasing to the eye and RELIABLE.
More to follow.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Time for an update.
The Bronco still sits outside, but it has had work done. I've had a couple of rims and tyres swapped around, to get the odd offset rims off the front. 2 new tyres will go on the rear and the best left will be a spare. The tyre carrier has been removed and I will fab a mount inside to hold the tyre vertically on the left side. Parts have been arriving almost daily, new front pads, reco calipers (from Texas), new radius arm bush kit, flexplate, etc. There is a pair of 1" lift/leveling coils coming, adjustable cams, mandrel bends for the tailpipe, yadda yadda.

The right front caliper piston is sticking and badly dragging the pads, which are worn. The rotor is fine, so I'll correct that. The ps pump needs an O ring on the outlet valve fitting, and I have a seal kit waiting to fix that. The broken header has been welded and the manky connector pipe that was welded on has been removed. A new piece will be made once the engine is back in. I also have flanges to make header removal easier later on (if required).

The weather has been lousy, so in my frustration, I started stripping down the old engine to diagnose it's issues with oil pressure, etc. I also noted that #s 1 and 6 header ports were dark against the light tan of the other 6. More on that later.

This is where I have to say that there are certain people that shouldn't be allowed any where near tools or welders. Whoever rebuilt this engine was a fucktard. Sorry, but it had to be said. Upon removing the oil pan, the oil pressure issue became immediately clear.

Many of the clevland engines in our F trucks and Broncos were fitted with the famed "NASCAR" blocks, which Ford Australia produced for NASCAR racers. These blocks however, were mysteriously returned, citing "core shift" as the reason they were rejected. These were heavier castings, with solid main webs, massive 4 bolt caps on all 5 main bearings and extra thick cylinder walls and webbing. Anyway, it's likely this was discovered to be one of those, so a '73 vintage block was re-bored and substituted.
The MORON who put this engine together did not understand how the pick-up was supposed to be correctly fitted. He put the studded main cap bolt on the WRONG side, then proceeded to BEND both the pick-up support bracket AND the tube to make it fit the incorrect location. He also ROTATED the pick-up tube so that the screen was almost touching the right side of the pan about TWO AND A HALF INCHES ABOVE the bottom of the pan! That meant that on RH turns above 30 mph and engine speeds above 2000 rpm, the oil pick-up was uncovered and wouldn't pick up any oil.

As a consequence, 6 of 8 big end bearings are badly damaged from lack of oil pressure, the rear 3 mains show the same, but not as bad. The crank fortunately, has only very light scratches and MAY be good with a polish. I also found 4 pistons with the compression ring gaps lined up, instead of staggered ( namely 1 and 6), the oil pump driveshaft was fitted upside down, with the circlip collar down. The cam is stuffed (9 lobes worn out) and timing chain in almost a pull-off-with-your-fingers job. The cylinder head dowel sleeves are missing, and almost cost me my left foot as the head suddenly dropped off the block. Lucky my reflexes are still good. No damage done.
The bores were honed for moly rings and cast plain rings were fitted. Pistons are .040" o/s, and are in good condition otherwise. After the Bronco is out of my hair, I will attack the rebuild.

Pulling the engine out of my truck hurt, but it won't be for long. I'll get this done quickly and have the old Bronco engine back in it all freshened up and ready for duty.

Hopefully the weather will let up on the weekend and allow me to get some work done. More to follow.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Been so busy lately, haven't had time to post up. I finally had a good day on Sunday, so I broke out the degreaser and the little pressure cleaner and went to work. Most of the grease and dirt has been removed from the chassis where I could access, and the firewall is clean enough to start stripping down, cleaning and sand blasting off the shitty black paint, rust and other shit. There are a few smallish rust spots I'll need to attend to, but I will do some good patching and make it last for a while until we do the truck properly in the future. After cleaning it up, I let it dry while I got everything ready, then backed it up and turned it out enough to get my truck past and into the garage, where it will stay until the Bronco is done. The engine is out and on the stand behind it, ready for when I get the engine bay prepped. I then pulled the Bronco back into the carport and set it up with the front end on 4 jack stands to start the repairs. Now I can work under cover and not worry about the rain spoiling things. Last night I was out in the cold, stripping off loose items, removed the dicky lowered engine mount plates (factory?), inner fender wells and separated the good wiring from the throw away stuff. I will make a new propane harness, with the dual fuel component installed for later and do some serious tidy up on the engine harness and around the battery area.
Tonight, I stripped off the fenders and did a thorough inspection, it's not too bad. Then, I got under the dash to trace and remove stray wires. What a fucking bird's nest! I've managed to strip out several metres of old wiring, removed the AC hoses and pulled them through and sorted out where the rest of the wires should be. Once the engine is back in, and before the fenders go back on, I'll re-do all the necessary wiring repairs and mods and make sure EVERYTHING works correctly. I've also left the AC unit inside the dash, it will come out if the dash needs to come apart, but it can stay there until then. I'll make a neat alloy plate to seal the AC holes and I'll also close off all the other holes idiots have drilled everywhere to keep out fumes and water, etc. I also removed the pitman arm to see WTF is going on with the steering, and it appears to be the wrong arm. The spline area matches, but its too bag and needs a washer to even get it close to tight. The problem then is, it is pulled up against the bottom of the box and starts jamming up. I need to do some more research on this, as the box looks fine, otherwise. During cleaning, I also fount that the right front of the X member at the beam pivot has had a hit, and will need the beam and bracket removed so I can porta-power the dent out. I have a spare beam pivot, so when I do that job, it will be replaced. I'll get more pics tomorrow, my camera doesn't like doing night shots too well, but here are some;
Engine out of my truck:
P1010638.JPG
P1010638.JPG (87.77 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Bronco in the carport all stripped down:
P1010642.JPG
P1010642.JPG (78.64 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Dent in the X member:
P1010640.JPG
P1010640.JPG (84.28 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Strip down view 2:
P1010643.JPG
P1010643.JPG (84.21 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
That's it for tonight, got an early start tomorrow morning.
Cheers for now.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday 3 Oct:
Time for an update.
I've been spending an hour or two every night the last 2 weeks getting stuff cleaned up and doing some minor rust repair. The firewall and sides of the foot wells have come up nice, and there isn't any rust worth worrying about too much in the danger areas.
Yesterday, I doubled down, pulled the TTB and started on the frame repair:
You can see where it is bent back:
P1010011.JPG
P1010011.JPG (74.1 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Damaged beam pivot on RHS, replacement on LHS.
P1010012.JPG
P1010012.JPG (86.61 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
All straight now.
P1010015.JPG
P1010015.JPG (74.24 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG (87.59 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
A few hours later, the frame and firewall look totally different:
P1010009.JPG
P1010009.JPG (87.61 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
P1010013.JPG
P1010013.JPG (74.46 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday cont.

Today I started on the engine. I first knocked out and replaced all 6 freeze plugs with new brass ones. The original steel ones were corroded, so replacing them was good insurance:
P1010644.JPG
P1010644.JPG (89.02 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
P1010646.JPG
P1010646.JPG (86.32 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
I also dug out the old rusted heater nipple and fitted a new HD replacement:
P1010645.JPG
P1010645.JPG (89.3 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
I then rigged up the engine crane, slung the engine and removed the stand. The flex plate went on with Loctite and the torque wrench and the engine was carefully lowered into the engine bay. Apart from a very minor adjustment to the convertor / flex plate alignment, the engine literally fell in. Probably the easiest I've ever fitted to an F truck or Bronco. It's bolted up to the frame and auto, but I ran out of time (and light) to take pics. They will come tomorrow.Hopefully they will be sandblasting tomorrow, so I can get the headers blown clean, they can have the flange plates fitted, be painted with heat proof gray and be refitted by mid-week. In the meantime, I will tackle the wiring and get that ready for a start once all the accessories are re-fitted. More later.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

you're working so fast you're a month ahead (check date listed as OCT 3)! Making some good progress here Rod. Do yerself a favor & just put on a 92-96 front clip when you throw it back together though!

Sorry - had to with the APEM-FU thread name
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:you're working so fast you're a month ahead (check date listed as OCT 3)! Making some good progress here Rod. Do yerself a favor & just put on a 92-96 front clip when you throw it back together though!
Sorry - had to with the APEM-FU thread name
I was half asleep when I made that update. :oops: Sue me! :lol: :lol: With a complete front clip running at AU$2,500 +, we have better things to waste money on that change to 92 - 96. Besides, staying with the 80 - 86 front is a GFY for those haters out there ;) :roll:
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Looking good Rod! Glad to see another APEMFB member in the crew. And don't listen to Steve, he's never had a running dentside truck as long as I've known him, LOL.

Chris
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

No sure what a running 70's truck has to do with anything, but my crew was running when your "class 3" was in the garage in pieces. So yeah, I'll make a little non relevant jab as well.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Ha. Take it easy Sally. My Bronco is already built. Now let's back to the awesome Bronco on this thread. Don't you have a family event to attend to Steve?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Just replying in kind Chris. You threw the 1st jab so I just responded. Just like you're throwing more out now. Funny you say to get it back on topic, but of course not without some sort of jab 1st. Your typical style = classy as always.
Yes you've had someone else build something for you since we last hung out. Great for you. And yes I have kids now so not as much time for trucks. Great for me. I'll go back to them & you can go back to the hole you crawled out of to start this crap.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Easy, bitches, this is my thread. :D Go play outside.