A new used tow truck

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

A new used tow truck

Post by 1Hondalover »

Lost our needle in a haystack F350 when a nice lady decided to pull out in front of me in an intersection this last Spring. My green light.....luckily I walked away. Insurance paid a little more than we paid for the truck so no money lost there, however finding another now 5 years later is going to be a trick. I've been looking at the few available to meet our hopeful criteria to replace, but like the Seattle trip we took to purposely get the V10, others are far from the State of CA.

Maybe somebody knows somebody who has the right truck we need? Can't hurt to ask. Here's the mandatory spec list:

* 2005 or newer F250 or 350 crew cab short bed 4x4.
* V10 & auto trans.....hopefully 4.10 gears again,
* White is our mainstay but I could consider other colors with gray and maybe black interiors only. Earth tones are very bad for us.
* Lariat or maybe FX4.....like to have leather seats again but I'd consider an XLT.

Jim & Paige's 2006 Tow Truck had every single Lariat option.....we were very lucky to find it spotless with 100K for $19K.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may know someone or something to help us with a replacement.
IMG_5130 (Large).JPG

IMG_5141 (Large).JPG
20180410_121650 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: A new used tow truck

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Mostly off topic, but do you mind if I ask why you prefer the v10?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

A new used tow truck

Post by cwrisley »

Pm sent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Damn, Jim. I’m glad you’re ok!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

It may be a little early, but I think Jason 76Hauler, is thinking about upgrading his big girl...it's a V10, with Carli goodies on 37s ...
Jason's Truck.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Mostly off topic, but do you mind if I ask why you prefer the v10?
Not for best-in-class mileage or torque that's for sure. The evolution of diesels in my price range give the well known troublesome 6.0 and only slightly better 6.4 with a few less issues and far worse fuel mileage. Of course either have known solid fixes to make them reliable with more power, however I don't have time for a goose chase to try and find one that's been not only bonafide fixed correctly but also not abused.

Make sense?
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

robertcrav wrote:It may be a little early, but I think Jason 76Hauler, is thinking about upgrading his big girl...it's a V10, with Carli goodies on 37s ...
Thanks Robert. Looks like a cool truck but I'm too old for it. There's been more wrenching on something like that than I'm comfortable with for my purposes here.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

SteveG wrote:Damn, Jim. I’m glad you’re ok!
Someone looking out for me Steven.....very lucky indeed. See you soon.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

1Hondalover wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Mostly off topic, but do you mind if I ask why you prefer the v10?
Not for best-in-class mileage or torque that's for sure. The evolution of diesels in my price range give the well known troublesome 6.0 and only slightly better 6.4 with a few less issues and far worse fuel mileage. Of course either have known solid fixes to make them reliable with more power, however I don't have time for a goose chase to try and find one that's been not only bonafide fixed correctly but also not abused.

Make sense?
Makes absolute sense. Especially being I'm in about the same boat... I'm looking on an off at Excursions & want a diesel for towing capacity & gas mileage while towing (and while not!). V10's are much cheaper than even the "troublesome" 6.0's, but I'm concerned with longevity of the motor even in comparison to the 6.0 (which I have considered purchasing after much research and a bit of cost searching on the "fixes").

I was hoping you had a different answer, and some hidden "wow factor" or something I didn't know about the v10, but I guess not.

1 question on your v10 though is I've heard they can have the same problem as the modular v8's with spark plugs. You even run in to any of these issues?
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

A new used tow truck

Post by cwrisley »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:1 question on your v10 though is I've heard they can have the same problem as the modular v8's with spark plugs. You even run in to any of these issues?
That was on the 2 valve gen 1 V10s. They’d spit plugs. The 2nd gen 3 valve motors were corrected and hasn’t been an issue as far as I know. I forget what year the 3 valves were made available. I have a 2nd gen motor and have been nothing but happy with it. I’m not towing anything big, but pulling the Bronco or our fully loaded enclosed trailer is great. MPG sucks!! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good info I hadn't heard before - thanks Chris!
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

cwrisley wrote: That was on the 2 valve gen 1 V10s. They’d spit plugs. The 2nd gen 3 valve motors were corrected and hasn’t been an issue as far as I know. I forget what year the 3 valves were made available. I have a 2nd gen motor and have been nothing but happy with it. I’m not towing anything big, but pulling the Bronco or our fully loaded enclosed trailer is great. MPG sucks!! Haha.
Absolutely correct. The Super Duty became a whole new animal in 2005, including the 3 valve V10.