96 bronco offroad mechanic in Washington state

palmawor
Bronco Info: 96 4x4 bronco. 6" BDS dropped 2" reached leafs. stock engine n tranny.

96 bronco offroad mechanic in Washington state

Post by palmawor »

looking for expert in bronco offroad world in the area of Wenatchee, omak, tricities, Spokane or grand coulee. ive purchased a 96 4x4 that was buit up. took a chance! 6" bds, lockers, winch, 9", no speedo or overdirve. stock engine n tranny. thx all!
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Re: 96 bronco offroad mechanic in Washington state

Post by Phoenix0783 »

palmawor wrote:looking for expert in bronco offroad world in the area of Wenatchee, omak, tricities, Spokane or grand coulee. ive purchased a 96 4x4 that was buit up. took a chance! 6" bds, lockers, winch, 9", no speedo or overdirve. stock engine n tranny. thx all!
What does it need done?
palmawor
Bronco Info: 96 4x4 bronco. 6" BDS dropped 2" reached leafs. stock engine n tranny.

Post by palmawor »

im working on getting a vss setup. it has a connector on tcase that connects to a selonoid n runs to dash. idk what it is. it has a speed calibration module underdash. idk how it works. arb compressor w front n rear lockers. will have to learn how to use. apperantly engine was chipped but I see no evidence. here in grand coulee im limited to mechanics so im learning about my new purchase. I can figure it out w time but sure liked to get it going. engine runs good but tranny shift hard and no overdrive. needs alignment, front axle seal.
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

No vss will make it shift like that. Kits for vss on a 9" conversion are about $300.

Speedo calibration is easy, search here for psom or google for "psom calibration"
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

If the trans is shifting hard with out od, it's probably because the computer is not getting a VSS signal and is in 'limp home' mode
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Does the speedo work? If it's maxed out and not responding the psom calibration will fix that and the shift points. Think of it like it's stuck in " limp mode". without a functioning vss you can't cure this condition. So either fix the exsisting vss or get a vss relocation kit like suggested above. The t case sensor is for high/low on/off of the t case I believe. Post pictures so we can see what plug/plugs on the axel and t case.
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

the vss relocation kit- check! ill get pics up. I appreciate all the input. im gonna get the sucker running yet. on my way to get license n tabs now!
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

well I keep getting msg that pic file is too big.... but the solenoid is a woodward mini gen p/n SA 2650 A, connected to a cable that has two offset connectors/couplings, then has a sensor that fits on end of transfer case.

I tighten fitting on one of the double connectors right before sensor to tcase and drove rig. I did get to 3rd gear and overdrive button light did not come on. I did not get to overdrive. this lasted about 3-4 minutes then went back to limp mode.

under dash is a superlift truespeed speed sensor calibrator. has 2 settings, module A and module B. messed w calibrator with no good results. ill call superlift tech line. my problem is in the cable I think. maybe I can email someone these pics and go from there. thx all.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

You don't need the calibrator. Try removing it and putting it back to stock setup.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

So if your talking on this forum via a smart phone see if you can find the free pic sizing app called "minima " it's what I use to resize my pics on my apple phone.

Ok so back to the issues. 1st is the speedo responding?
2nd do you have an 8.8 axel or a 9" axel? ( the 8.8 is a cast iron center section, the 9" is all the same kind of steel as the axel tubes)

Reason I ask is the vss sensor is a plug on the drive shaft end of the 3rd member ( center of the rear axel) on an 8.8. If this is not functioning correctly it will cause both the trans to go into limp mode and or the speedometer malfunction. The transfer case stuck in 4 high or 4 low will not to my knowledge.
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

its a 9",,,, info via laptop, just gotta learn how minimize pic size! w no calibration module, my speedo will be way off, right-O?!?! i'll check wires too. fuses r fine. I purchased this rig w a lot of hackin done to it. thx for input all!
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

speedo does not register! the wires seem fine under dash. will seek more tomorrow. thx all! where do I get a gofastbroco steeker! I WILL get it to run fast!!
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Ok so here's a pic of an 8.8 ( top) and a 9". ( bottom)
The 9" third member unbolts out the front and the 8.8 has the cover bolted on from the back of the axel. So first of all 9" rear ends didn't come stock in a 96 bronco. So there has to be a vss relocation kit. The way there usually done is there's an exciter ring on the drive shaft or on the ass end of the transfer case output shaft. Next is a pic of a similar relocation kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Vss relocation kit ( spacer style exciter disk) the plug with the black elbow shape to it is what your looking for. It's the only sensor to this style set up. So in the pic the elbow is the vss switch, the aluminum disk with the small holes does the counting to calculate shift points. Ideal gear ratio to tire size is 2000 pulses per mile. ( that's just back ground info for you for the calibration process I'll give you a link to shortly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

So in this pic I drew one arrow to the sensor and one arrow to the count ring.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

In this pic I drew an arrow to the switch. So keep in mind your vss relocation ring may look different but the switch that counts if it's stock looks like this black elbow looking magnetic switch. So if you have a chitons guide they should have a nominal resistance value posted if you were wanting to confirm if the switch was any good. You don't nesisarily need to check this but it has to count pulses to determine the shift points off the speed that these pulses are registered to the factory computer.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

So I think is 8000 pulses per mile... Shit man I can't remember but here's a vid that explains how to on the actual vss calibration process, I will grab you a link to the written procedure that shows you the math problem used to compute the actual value you will type into the trucks guage cluster.

http://youtu.be/rZPQYMEWNas
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

HOW TO RECALIBRATE THE SPEEDOMETER ON 92-96 FORD F-SERIES AND BRONCO
By admin - July 30, 2004
0 Comments |

By Benjamin Ratterree
1. Check whether the conversion constant in the speedometer is correct with the following procedure:
Press and hold the RESET button on the front of the speedometer while turning the key to RUN.
Release the RESET button. The pointer will prove out and some codes will appear on the odometer display. If an "E" is on the left side of the display, the module is programmed for English display mode and should have English graphics (mph). A lower case "o" signifies an overseas (metric) graphics (kph). Verify the graphics and display modes agree. (The number appearing after the type is the microprocessor revision level and is not used in this test.)
Rress and release the RESET button again. The conversion constant and the word CAL will be shown on the odometer display.
Check the conversion constant shown on the odometer display with the chart below and verify the correct constant is entered.
Turn off the key to exit this test.

2. Reprogram speed conversion constant using the following procedure:
Locate the dealer mode programming enable single-terminal connector. The connector is located at the bottom of the instrument panel below the center of the glove box. On all vehicles, the dealer mode enable wire is Circuit #567 (LB/Y).
Insert metal clip in service wire panel connector. Clip other end to vehicle ground while the key is in the OFF position.
Turn key to RUN (not crank) position while holding down the trip odometer RESET button on speedometer. Release RESET button.
Speedometer will prove out (sweep across dial and back). The English/Metric and revision levels will be displayed. The last number of the display is the dealer mode programming lockout count. This count shows the number of allowable conversion constant changes remaining. When the count is zero (0), no additional changes can be made to this instrument cluster. If a conversion constant change is required, a service instrument cluster must be ordered. Refer to this section for ordering information.
Press and release RESET button again and PSOM conversion constant (without the decimal point) followed by the word CAL.
Press and release the odometer SELECT button as many times as necessary to change conversion constant to the correct value.
NOTE:
Pressing and releasing the RESET button to lock in the new Conversion Constant reduces the number of times the PSOM can be reprogrammed by one count. The module can only be reprogrammed six times. If you change your mind and want to go back to the old conversion constant, turn the ignition switch off before you lock in the new constant.
When the correct new value is displayed in odometer window, press and release the RESET button to lock in the new conversion constant.
Turn the key off and remove the ground wire. Verify proper speedometer operation.

To find conversion constants for tires with 15 inch rims that are not listed in chart, above multiply the revolutions per mile (at 45mph) of your tire times .0135. For 16 inch rims multiply by .015. The revs/mile can be found at your tire manufacturers web site. There are slight variations in revs/mile per tire manufacturers, but using one like the popular BFG A/T (see below) will get you very close.
Example: BFG AT 33×12.50R15LT/C
Revs/mile= 636
636 rev/mile X .0135 = 8.59
8.59 would be your conversion constant
Here is a listing of popular oversize BFG All-Terrain tires with conversion constants:
Tire Size Revs/mile (at 45mph) Conversion Constant
30×9.50R15LT/C 705 9.52
31×10.50R15LT/C 677 9.14
32×11.50R15LT/C 656 8.86
33×12.50R15LT/C 636 8.59
35×12.50R15LT/C 599 8.09
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Good luck man!
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Oh ya one last thing, write down your tire size and google it's circumference, it's circumstances and the axels gear ratio are what's needed to get the value spot on. If not use and exsisting value to get it close, at least this will get you running.