96 bronco offroad mechanic in Washington state

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: 96 bronco offroad mechanic in Washington state

Post by Rmc »

Here's a top view of an 8.8 with the sensor in its factory location on an 8.8 rear end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I would at least try re calibrating this after you've verified the switch wasn't cut off or something like that and both the ring and switch are there. Check the gap between the switch and the ring as well. Get it close ( just under an 1/8 inch gap)
palmawor
Bronco Info: 96 4x4 bronco. 6" BDS dropped 2" reached leafs. stock engine n tranny.

Post by palmawor »

thx for all the info. well researched and tested I trust! im still trying to get pics up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
palmawor
Bronco Info: 96 4x4 bronco. 6" BDS dropped 2" reached leafs. stock engine n tranny.

Post by palmawor »

this woodward is attached to cable going into tcase
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

so the cable going into tcase has a gear in the end. gear should of had a cable attached to it so it winds up the woodward sensor. that cable was frayed and sheared inside of plastic gear. I guess I'll search for speedo cable w appropriate measurements. thx all. pics??? still gotta work on that.
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

the cable would of been attached to plastic gear right? I cant tell!
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Not sure, I'm not familiar with the Woodward unit.
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

ok nevada speedometer can replace the cable i need w the 17teeth gear on end that connects to drive gear in transfer case. the gear on shaft thats in the tcase spins freely. so it will get replaced too. i tested the cable for free spin and its fine. wonder what caused the cable to snap from gear and gear on shaft.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

If its a 96 it does not have a cable driven speedo. It has to be electronic in order to run the psom.
hobbyturnedobsession

Are you sure its a 96 with an e4od? The later 80s bronco had the aod (overdrive trans) with a cable driven speedo.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

To me that sounds accurate randy, I believe 92-96 were all 8.8 with tone ring. I can confirm with chitons guide if needed.
hobbyturnedobsession

Nah not to sound like an ass I know for a fact. The only way it'd be cable driven is if it was originally a manual. The only trans that came in the bronco with a cable speedo is the aid and c6.
hobbyturnedobsession

Unless someone attempted a swap and didn't do it correctly.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I always thought it was c6 pre-psom then aod then aode when psom came along with obd1 then e40d late obd1 and into obd2 then e40d to 4r70w and 4r80w both being obd2 I'm more familiar with the 2wd trucks though so no early transfer case knowledge coming from me.
Had me saying hmmm when he said it's a 96 though. Wouldn't the psom get pissed off if wrong pulse count doing tone ring to pulse generator gear swap ? I'm guessing it's possible but he's going to have gears according to tire size And rear end gear ratio. Otherwise I would think shift point calibration would be difficult.
Makes me ask the question what happens after the 5th or 6th psom calibration? Is there really a max re calibration number or does it reset and start counting agian? Anyone know?
palmawor

Post by palmawor »

Sorry had to fight w the issue. Eventually got new cable made. Removed calibration module. Cable has broken twice in the past. I cary a spare cable. She runs good now.
Can't load pics of the bronco,,,, error file too large