Stock width cut and turned beam travel.

UncleBud
Bronco Info: 1973 early bronco. TTB conversion

Stock width cut and turned beam travel.

Post by UncleBud »

I'm doing a Dana 44 ttb conversion on an early bronco and I'm looking for some travel numbers to base off of. What up travel and downtravel are you guys getting with the 3 to 4 inch lift and cut and turned beams? I see 16" travel seems to be the go to number just trying to see how much of that is uptravel.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: Stock width cut and turned beam travel.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

You get somewhere in the realm of 6 or 7 of up travel with a 4" lift and around 10" of down travel that requires the opening of the passenger side axle window, so the axle doesn't hit the housing on down travel. If you do a change in the axle arm near the pivot point, you can get several more inches of up travel and not have to do the cut and turn if done right. You can get more up travel with drop pivot point bracket's. It is beautiful to reinforce the brackets done by AutoFab or other fabricator, because most lift kit drop brackets are a weak point.

I was running stock width arms with a Rancho lift kit and Staples at 14" of travel. I had to reweld the drop bracket and reinforce them after a couple year's.

I want to extend a set of housings and change the geometry of the arms for more up travel and not have to do a cut and turn. It will be stronger with drop brackets. I have been hanging on to 3 set's of stock width beam's to play around with setups. I already did a stock width, but I will probably extend them out to 4". The cut and turn is a 1/2", so I would end up with a 4.5" over stock per side. I just want to try something different.

David Wright