Front coilover mounting

Codybrippin
Bronco Info: 96 bronco xl 5.0 5 speed

Front coilover mounting

Post by Codybrippin »

With all the shutdowns I’ve had time to pull my front axle out clean the frame up and install my solo motor sports coilover hoops and cross bar .my question is can I loosely install my cut and turn beams to weld on my lower mounts or should I have them loaded with the pig and shafts . I’ll be running a 2.5 x 12 coilover
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Front coilover mounting

Post by Tchajagos »

Here’s what I would do. Put the beams and radius arms on. Take the springs off the shocks and release the nitrogen. Put the lower spring retainer on the shock and compress it all the way. Move he beams up so there is 2-5/16” between the frame and beam. This distance is for 35” tires on 15x8” wheels with stock wheel wells so they don’t rub. If you have a different set up you will have to put the knuckle/hubs/wheels on to cycle and check your clearances. Mount the shock in the shock hoop. Bolt the lower tabs into the lower shock eye and use a card stock washer or 2. If you were supplied with 2 different size tabs, use the longer one on the inside and shorter one on the outside of the beam. This will put the shock eye at and outward angle. This give you less rotation of the lower shock eye Uniball. If the tabs are the same length you are going to have to tilt the tops inward when you tack on the tabs because the shock eye will rotate when the beam cycles. Tack the tabs on and cycle the suspension. If something binds, cut them off and do it again till nothing binds through the entire shock stroke.
Codybrippin

Re: Front coilover mounting

Post by Codybrippin »

That is almost exactly what I thought I am running factory 7.5 Alcoa’s with 35s thank you for the info I believe my tabs are a tall and a short.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Front coilover mounting

Post by Tchajagos »

If you have any question you can message me at (951)452-4050 I’ve installed a few of them ;)
Cricket
Bronco Info: '91 F-150 Custom Shortbed, 2WD converting to 4WD with C&T

Post by Cricket »

That 2-5/16" from the frame is valuable knowledge, that's exactly where I have my bumpstops set after trial and error with 35's on 8" wide wheel, 4.5" backspacing. That is of course stock fenders and inner fenders. If your building your own hoops/towers it is useful to have the knuckle/hubs/wheels to make sure they don't crash into upper shocks on full bump (making sure the upper mounts are inboard enough, especially with 3" shocks). However you should be fine using something already designed. Hope this saves someone a lot of wasted time.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

pass bump and full lock driver my tire gets into my shocks. 35s on stock alcoas, cutnturn, stock fenders, no inner liners.

for the beam side id say use the desolate ones, at $50 theyre cheap and give you a known starting point to build from.
https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop/su ... ock-mount/
Codybrippin

Post by Codybrippin »

Thanks guys I’m going to try and tack the lower mounts in when my shocks come in . I’ve also got a pair of 2.0x2 bump stops so I’ll set them up for 2 5/16 from the frame .