The dreaded E4OD

Boots & Slicks 14
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8L California Edition.
Location: The State of Jefferson,trying to move back to the SouthWest.

The dreaded E4OD

Post by Boots & Slicks 14 »

So a while back while driving on the Interstate, I lost OD on my trans. No warning, no codes, trans was only running at 150 Deg. according to my Auto Meter gauge.

Long story short, went ahead and replaced my solenoid pack, still won't go into OD, just drags. Have to drive with the OD button disabled. I think it's either the coast clutch stuck or the OD clutches got burnt, the fluid didn't look too pretty when I replaced the solenoid pack.

So that leads to my questions..

I've read and heard about a few stories where people have taken their E4ODs to get rebuilt, only to have to go through the trouble of yanking the trans out after a short while due to a shoddy rebuild.

Personally, IF I could get a low mileage,unmolested, E4OD that I knew worked well, I would rather just put a shift kit in that,bolt it in my rig and call it a day. Being 2020 now, that would be tough to come across.

So what I'd like to know does anyone here have an E4OD that was rebuilt and lasted? If so, who did the rebuild? Warranty?

I thought of going with one from a company like Monster, however, if there is an issue, I would hate to have to not only have to remove the trans again, then I got to ship it back and have more down time..
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Re: The dreaded E4OD

Post by mobil1syn »

i had the folks at American Transmission Exchange https://www.callatenow.com rebuild the one in my bronco and upgrade to steel planetaries. Buddy had the one in his F150 done there and it has been problem free (i own it now). i heard about them from another friend who had them do his e40d in his van.

yet another friend had remac do the trans in his excursion, which is still going strong and it does a lot of towing. https://www.remactransmissions.com i was trying to get my bronco there based on kritters recommendation, but the timing didnt work out.
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Post by arse_sidewards »

It's a C6 with some electronics and overdrive. None of that is complicated. It's not 1990 anymore. If you get a shit rebuild it's because the rebuilder knowingly half-assed things.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

The dreaded E4OD

Post by RyanDS650X »

I had Aamco build mine and they did steel planaterys and Z-pac intermediate clutches. Came with a 3 year warranty. I highly suggest a valve body from Punisher also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

RyanDS650X wrote:I had Aamco build mine and they did steel planaterys and Z-pac intermediate clutches. Came with a 3 year warranty. I highly suggest a valve body from Punisher also.

x2 on the punisher.

Check out some of the rebuild tips in this link, or bring it to a competent re-builder where you can talk to the tech/owner and print this list for them

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tran ... -road-use/
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

When I lost OD in My F250's trans, it had a lot of shit broken inside. Jon was surprised it was still able to move.

I highly recommend Jon Woods. It was not cheap, but it still going strong for the guy that owns that truck now 7 years later.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Have John Wood do the valve body to. If you go that rroute
Boots & Slicks 14

arse_sidewards wrote:It's a C6 with some electronics and overdrive. None of that is complicated. It's not 1990 anymore. If you get a shit rebuild it's because the rebuilder knowingly half-assed things.
Well, if it was that easy, then everybody would be rebuilding E4ODs.

Plus, it wouldn't be wise to put a stock re-build back in my rig or any Bronco that's going to see any "Go fast" duties especially in hot environments.

Also, rebuilder's don't always "knowingly" "half-ass" things, it's possible they forget because they're in a hurry or whatever reason, it's not always intentional. A good shop environment is as important as an experienced rebuilder.
Boots & Slicks 14

mobil1syn wrote:i had the folks at American Transmission Exchange https://www.callatenow.com rebuild the one in my bronco and upgrade to steel planetaries. Buddy had the one in his F150 done there and it has been problem free (i own it now). i heard about them from another friend who had them do his e40d in his van.

yet another friend had remac do the trans in his excursion, which is still going strong and it does a lot of towing. https://www.remactransmissions.com i was trying to get my bronco there based on kritters recommendation, but the timing didnt work out.
Thanks, I've actually heard of Remac, will look into them when it's time.
Boots & Slicks 14

RyanDS650X wrote:I had Aamco build mine and they did steel planaterys and Z-pac intermediate clutches. Came with a 3 year warranty. I highly suggest a valve body from Punisher also.

Thanks, I'll def consider the Punisher VB. Seems AAMCOS are kinda hit or miss. Which AAMCO did yours?
Boots & Slicks 14

Becks_Bronco wrote:

x2 on the punisher.

Check out some of the rebuild tips in this link, or bring it to a competent re-builder where you can talk to the tech/owner and print this list for them

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tran ... -road-use/
Funny you post that link, I actually was going to inquire with Geezer's Garage out of Eugene, OR since they weren't too far from me, however, seems they're out of business now.
Boots & Slicks 14

BDKW1 wrote:When I lost OD in My F250's trans, it had a lot of shit broken inside. Jon was surprised it was still able to move.

I highly recommend Jon Woods. It was not cheap, but it still going strong for the guy that owns that truck now 7 years later.
Thanks, where is Jon Woods out of?
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

The dreaded E4OD

Post by RyanDS650X »

Boots & Slicks 14 wrote:

Thanks, I'll def consider the Punisher VB. Seems AAMCOS are kinda hit or miss. Which AAMCO did yours?
I’m in Arizona but the shop that did mine had a couple obs power strokes in the employee lot so I stopped in one day to chat them up and after a short conversation I knew I was at the right place. They all had built e4od’s and they knew what I was after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Boots & Slicks 14 wrote:Thanks, where is Jon Woods out of?
http://jwtt.com/contact_us
BilToo
Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.8

Post by BilToo »

Art's converter bumped stall on mine about 500rpm and its working great

https://www.cpttransmission.com/
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

One thing I am looking into is a 2011 and newer 6R80. They have adapters for them and supposedly you can bolt up most Ford trasfer cases. They have standalone controllers for the conversion with an E4OD. I have seen a couple write ups saying a stock one can handle 1000HP. I am still looking into it to replace my Bronco C6. I think it would be nice to have a automatic 6 speed.

I posted in another tread asking if anyone had done this conversion, but no reply yet.

David Wright

BilToo
Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.8

Post by BilToo »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:09 pm
One thing I am looking into is a 2011 and newer 6R80. They have adapters for them and supposedly you can bolt up most Ford trasfer cases. They have standalone controllers for the conversion with an E4OD. I have seen a couple write ups saying a stock one can handle 1000HP. I am still looking into it to replace my Bronco C6. I think it would be nice to have a automatic 6 speed.

I posted in another tread asking if anyone had done this conversion, but no reply yet.

David Wright
I've seen the adapters tagging in to see what wise men know