96 spindles

mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

96 spindles

Post by mobil1syn »

so i learned this weekend that not all d44 ttb spindles are the same and after a bunch of reading it would appear i am out of luck on finding a replacement for my 96. yukon lies on their website claiming its a 93+ spindle, which is what i ordered in anticipation of dealing with some mijo induced carnage.

so based on the pictures below, i could get a spacer made to move the bearing race contact surface up to to match the 96 dimension and use a 93 seal that goes over the large ID of the spindle. this would keep all of the 96 bits functional and the only 'custom' piece would be the spacer. i will just barely have enough bearing seat, any reason this wont work?
Attachments
IMG_4656.jpg
IMG_4656.jpg (214.92 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
IMG_4513.jpg
IMG_4513.jpg (152.68 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
IMG_4512.jpg
IMG_4512.jpg (176.5 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
tvoymang
Bronco Info: (Former) 90' Bronco 351W

96 spindles

Post by tvoymang »

Sounds like a whole lot of work. I just bought a spindle back from Napa when I destroyed mine. 95.5 to 96 is what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: 96 spindles

Post by 300 »

It is unfortunate that there are so many variations of spindles. After some bad experiences with some imported spindles, it may be just as well that the Yukon stuff doesn't work. There is nothing quite like watching your wheel, hub and spindle head out into the desert without the rest of the truck. We eventually broke three spindles and ruined some very expensive alloy axles in the process. Two of the three were new but not from Dana/Spicer. I would recommend you check with somebody like West Coast Differentials for new Dana supplied stuff, and if that doesn't pan out, I would personally be more comfortable with used junkyard items.
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

tvoymang wrote:Sounds like a whole lot of work. I just bought a spindle back from Napa when I destroyed mine. 95.5 to 96 is what you’re looking for.
how long ago was that? all of my interneting has brought up zero results for a replacement from any parts stores.
300 wrote:It is unfortunate that there are so many variations of spindles. After some bad experiences with some imported spindles, it may be just as well that the Yukon stuff doesn't work. There is nothing quite like watching your wheel, hub and spindle head out into the desert without the rest of the truck. We eventually broke three spindles and ruined some very expensive alloy axles in the process. Two of the three were new but not from Dana/Spicer. I would recommend you check with somebody like West Coast Differentials for new Dana supplied stuff, and if that doesn't pan out, I would personally be more comfortable with used junkyard items.
interesting, noted on the yukon spindles and i will give west coast differential a call in the morning. need to find something to buy, dont have time to junkyard hop in hopes of finding something.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

PM Sent
Stan the Man
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco, trail ready/sand loving.

Post by Stan the Man »

Any reason you can't just get 91-94 bearing and seal set? Are there differences inside the hub as well? I suppose worst case you'd have to swap the hub out or bearing races to make it work properly. Seems a lot safer than a custom fit spacer.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

96 spindles

Post by Tchajagos »

Stan the Man wrote:Any reason you can't just get 91-94 bearing and seal set? Are there differences inside the hub as well? I suppose worst case you'd have to swap the hub out or bearing races to make it work properly. Seems a lot safer than a custom fit spacer.
The bearing spread inside the hub is slightly shorter on the 2 piece seal spindles. If you try to put a 2 piece seal hub on a 1 piece seal spindle, the nut will bottom out before the bearings ever tighten down. It might be easier/safer to just find a set of 1 piece seal hubs. The 2 piece stuff seems harder and harder to find. Keep in mind that the rotors are specific to year as well. The bolt on calipers have a different rotor (slightly thinner) than the pin type calipers.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Welcome to the dont fit club. It is not the bearing it is a bad spindle.
Yukon spindles are machined incorrectly and they deny it. I asked around and found that several off road shops buy the yukon and put them on a lathe and make them correct. Use the dimensions for the old spindle. Look for my old post on the same subject with dimensions af several ones. '96 are unique.
Bearings are not an issue, just buy at the auto parts store. I like Timken. Order by year = '96
Did you miss the member that was parting out his '96?
Stan the Man
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco, trail ready/sand loving.

Post by Stan the Man »

Good information on here. Sounds like its time for someone to start selling small amounts of Yukon spindles properly machined to the 96 specs.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

To be sure just buy one in case they made a change
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

after calls and internetting i have 2 96 spindles coming from a junkyard, fingers crossed they are the right ones since they couldnt provide pictures.
PaulW wrote:Welcome to the dont fit club. It is not the bearing it is a bad spindle.
Yukon spindles are machined incorrectly and they deny it. I asked around and found that several off road shops buy the yukon and put them on a lathe and make them correct. Use the dimensions for the old spindle. Look for my old post on the same subject with dimensions af several ones. '96 are unique.
Bearings are not an issue, just buy at the auto parts store. I like Timken. Order by year = '96
Did you miss the member that was parting out his '96?
your posts on the topic are what lead to me the idea of just modifying the yukon to fit my needs.
Stan the Man wrote:Good information on here. Sounds like its time for someone to start selling small amounts of Yukon spindles properly machined to the 96 specs.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/94-96- ... nfo/32085/

found these in my quest to find a replacement based on a tip from bobby over at solo. i called them and they said they wont be in stock again until mid to late jan

in the future i think i will be moving to a fabbed knuckle and probably going to solid axle parts since there is plenty of aftermarket support there. this whole deal is fundamentally retarded. being a former toyota guy, all the parts over the years are basically the same. so frustrating
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

just an update. was able to find some spindles at a junkyard and had them shipped via http://car-part.com/

$225 to my door for the pair with knuckles. so now i got a spare
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

The easy button here:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/D44-Fr ... nfo/32160/

Id be curious to know who makes the spindles if not OE Dana.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

dont forget about 94-96 with single wheel seal you need to add to the catalog of WTF fourth variant.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

shockseals.com wrote:dont forget about 94-96 with single wheel seal you need to add to the catalog of WTF fourth variant.
i ithink they were out of stock when i was looking. again the whole thing is stupid and makes me miss owning a toyota
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

shockseals.com wrote:dont forget about 94-96 with single wheel seal you need to add to the catalog of WTF fourth variant.
Might order a pair just to have while they're have-able lol. This is excellent info.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

mobil1syn wrote:
i ithink they were out of stock when i was looking. again the whole thing is stupid and makes me miss owning a toyota
People give Toyota a hard time about not updating things for 10 years at a time, but that's what makes them work so well. They spend 10 years getting the engineering perfect, build it, then spend the next 10 years working on the next version lol.