Trailing arms

steve-oh
Bronco Info: 93 xlt,5.0 caged, extended beams work in progress

Trailing arms

Post by steve-oh »

Figured I'd start with you guys, haven't posted in awhile have a whole new tube chassis truck I built with 4 link front and rear, solid axles wanting to swap the rear to trailing arms vs shock on axle for more travel and to help with more compression travel in the rear I have plenty of room in the rear vs the front, I'm looking at using the ruff stuff trailing arms as my links are almost the exact same length of 48 inches, there's frame mounting is just a poly bushing and won't be up to the task so I need some uniballs with anti wobble bushings built into them with the ability to use a one inch bolt, was thinking of a 1.5 uniball with a misalignment spacer to a one inch hole with some kind of anti wobble bushings, the shock holes on the arms are a .5 inch lower than frame and axle mounting points already in there design, does anyone know where I can get a complete kit or bushings to use for my idea.
Next question, general idea of spring weights for the trailing arm setup, rear is around 700lb corner weight.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Trailing arms

Post by Tchajagos »

No need for such huge uniballs and bolts. 1” uniballs and 3/4” bolts are plenty strong. If you have the shock mounted lower than the center line of the lower link, no need for wobble stoppers either, and less wear. As far as spring rate, it really depends on where your shocks mount to the lower link and at what angle they bump at.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Trailing arms

Post by Tchajagos »

If your mounting hole are already 1” you can always put in some weld washers that seat inside the 1” hole and space it down to 3/4”.
steve-oh

Re: Trailing arms

Post by steve-oh »

Bars are zero at ride height was worried about droop and the bar hitting something and twisting and breaking shocks, as far as bolts I've seen some 3/4 break during a hard impact was just wanting some more insurance.
steve-oh

Re: Trailing arms

Post by steve-oh »

Does the mounting point in the axle have to be at the bottom of the axle or can it come off the front? Don't see why it can't be at the front of the tube and not the bottom.