Wondering if any gfb peeps have replaced the shell glass

wookiee156
Bronco Info: 1988 full sise aka "The Blue Mare" soon to be prerunner / chaserig

Wondering if any gfb peeps have replaced the shell glass

Post by wookiee156 »

Sooo sence I finally got time to get my mare back running HUGE thanks again to Greg for the direction I’ve been thinking about replacing my glass on the shell with plexiglass thinking about weight saving also the trim on mine is pretty shot so any thoughts guys ( how hard are they to work with ect) if this thread already exists please direct me I did look thanks
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Wondering if any gfb peeps have replaced the shell glass

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Plexiglass isn't super hard to work with. You can typically just use the stock windows as a template. Just know they stuff scratches pretty easy. Do a little reading on plexi, lexan, etc. to get an idea. Some stuff scratches easy enough to do it while wiping dust off your truck with a rag really.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
patrioticarms
Bronco Info: 1994 bronco eddie bauer 5.8

Post by patrioticarms »

I've been thinking about going with lexan instead of plexiglass, I just dont have the time right now. Probably this summer.
wookiee156

Post by wookiee156 »

Hmmmm I didn’t even think about how easy plexiglass scratches although I know you can polish out scratches (done it on fish tanks it’s a pain though) I do wonder though is lexan spendy? And does it scratch easily like I said I was hoping for thoughts
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

About plastic
All plastics scratch easily. very time consuming for repairs. Cannot repair scratches on Lexan. Lexan is the strongest plastic available, but still scratches pretty easy. All plastics attract dust. Glass does not attract dust and can easily be cleaned and is unlikely to need repair or replacement.
Buggy people hate plastic wind screens, but love glass.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

also recommend glass. It's much quieter than plastic, unless you get really thick plastic, which negates the weight savings.
wookiee156

Post by wookiee156 »

Becks_Bronco wrote:also recommend glass. It's much quieter than plastic, unless you get really thick plastic, which negates the weight savings.
You know that’s something I didn’t think about is sound I also just thought what would cold possibly do to plastics but thanks again everyone for the discussion here ( who knows maybe we will have someone that says do it or they have ) :D
DorianPil
Bronco Info: Ford Bronco first generation

Post by DorianPil »

Becks_Bronco wrote:also recommend glass. It's much quieter than plastic, unless you get really thick plastic, which negates the weight savings.
Thick plastic is that heavy eh?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Thicker than the stock glass is nearly impossible to install because the only rubber you will find is for stock thickness. Please dont use thicker than stock or you will end up just throwing away what you bought. Are you aware the top side windows have a 3D curve to match the body lines. However flat will work just fine, but will not win that trophy at the car show.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Read my comment again about plastic and dust. Plastic is totally unacceptable.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

PaulW wrote:Read my comment again about plastic and dust. Plastic is totally unacceptable.
Agree with Paul. Airflow over any plastic creates static electricity, which attracts dust like crazy. Stick to glass.