Steering general suspension questions - Dallas TX

XLR8
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XL

Post by XLR8 »

First post, and i'm sure to sound like a newbie.

I just picked up my first FSB for my wife, she's been wanting one for years and daily drives an FJ. While it's in decent shape the shocks are done and the steering is pretty dangerous on bumpy road which is most of Dallas. I won't let her drive it right now as the wheel has a ton of center play and bump steer.

First question - does anyone know if a good 4x4 shop in North Texas that knows the TTB front end? Most shops haven't worked on Broncos and only know Raptors and solid axles Ford and Dodges. Some of the shops look at the front end and scratch their heads...not good.

Second, if this thing is going to be used 90% on road would a single swing system be overkill? I'm looking to fully refresh the front end and most systems come as a kit and i guess converts it to swing. Looks like i'd need new tie rod and a steering box at the very least. Anything else i should buy new?

Shocks and leafs are fairly straight forward except for possibly converting the front to coilovers but that again might be overkill for the trucks use.

I've owned the truck for a week so i have a lot to learn. Once i can get the suspension sorted out i'm gonna begin adding power or maybe even a motor swap. The 351w was rebuilt 3 years ago but it's just so slow....some of it is gears but the thing needs poweeeeeeerrrrrr.

Thanks all, love this site and can spend hours getting lost in here.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Steering general suspension questions - Dallas TX

Post by dtbback »

1. I don't know of a good shop in North Tx but if you from one of the Big 3: Solo, Threat, Desolate, amd can weld; you can do the install yourself.

2. No, you dont need a single swing if your 90% on road. If you want to beef up the steering, do the ambulance tie rod upgrade.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

tribe4x4 is in ft worth area. they do some jeep stuff but also do quite a bit of custom/race car stuff.

http://www.tribe-16.com

i say do a 2.5x12” coilover, longer radius arms, and c&t beams. it will ride well, have good street manners and still handle some decent wheeling. plenty of kits out there and its fairly simple.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

With the engine off, have your wife turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly (don’t turn the wheels) while you look under at the steering. If any of the tie rod joints are blown out you will see them moving around. If the steering linkages are tight and there is a ton of play before the pitman arm even turns than it could be the steering gear box is worn out or there is a slip joint in the steering shaft that wears out as well. Another part to look at are the beam pivot bushings and the radius arm bushings. If you have addressed all those things and there is still play, ball joints.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Check out Pride Customs and talk to Billy. I worked with him in another lifetime and he does good work.
ThrustMaster
Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Victorian 2 tone blue stock at the moment

Post by ThrustMaster »

Another Dallas Bronco! Steering column upper bearing is probably worn out. I don't trust general mechanics with any of my car and definitely not something unique like a TTB front end.