Tools for pulling axles and general TTB/bronco work

tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Post by tactical328 »

Any particular tools/brand that you guys suggest for bearing splitters, slides, presses, pullers etc that you've found over the years to work best on the bronco/dana44 ttb?
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Re: Tools for pulling axles and general TTB/bronco work

Post by arse_sidewards »

I'm sure some snob will tell you anything less than snap-on tools is a waste of your time but personally I've never had problems using cheap Harbor Freight stuff for everything. I think the only "special" tools that apply to the TTB are hub sockets, a ball joint press and a bearing splitter if you are going to replace bearings on the carrier or pinion and I've done just fine using the cheapest options I can find for those. There's really nothing special about the TTB that demands you use nice tools to service it. It's not like some German transmission that has nearly no clearance for snap ring pliers so you need to buy a particular brand to do the job.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

thanks
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Besides the hub nut tool there isn’t anything special needed.

I’ve used a harbor freight ball joint press to replace ball joints. while it worked fine, the tool started to wear out being cheaper metal. A nice balljoint press would be good if you are using it a lot. Also if you are setting up differentials you already know you are going to need some tools for that.
Stan the Man
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco, trail ready/sand loving.

Post by Stan the Man »

My Harbor Freight BJ press has been great for BJ replacement and swapping out u-joints in the shafts. I've also added a HF claw press for the steering linkage. It works much better than those fork pry tools. Price is right and if they break, you can get another for less than a Snap On.

If you're going to be using it in a shop and pressing BJs out daily, then a Snap On might make sense.
tactical328

Post by tactical328 »

nope just for building my bronc and maintenance. I'm actually wondering about a good tool for pulling the bearings off the stub axles?