Planning a GoFast build with an early 80's Bronco

mattt
Bronco Info: 69 Bronco custom

Post by mattt »

I'm considering a Go Fast build of a full size Bronco. I've got my eyes on an early 80's Bronco and have a few questions before picking up a project.

Are there any frame differences(strength, layout, etc) in the 80-86 vs. 87-91 vs. 92-96?

Will fiberglass that resembles the 92-96 front end work on an earlier 80-86 Bronco? I prefer the later 92-96 look but the older trucks seem like a better place to build from.

Any other issues or things to know about for a Go Fast Bronco build? Thanks in advance.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Only the front frame horns are different as far as I know. Doesn't effect anything build wise. My $.02 is the 95-96 is the ideal year to start with. The main pros of the older vehicles are the more stout drive train, 9" rear end and C6. The later models pros are MAF injection, overdrive and overall nicer fit finish.

When it comes to building a prerunner most of the pro/cons go out the window cause you'll be changing/upgrading most everything haha. Example- By the time you take the stock 9" of the early model add a nodular case, gears, locker, truss and 35 spline axles the housing that came from the original is the least desirable part of that rear end.

I don't see any argument as to why the 81-86 is a better start to a build but am curious to here other opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Planning a GoFast build with an early 80's Bronco

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I tend to agree with Brian on all his points really.

I mean it all depends on how far you will be taking the build of course, but the main pros I see for the earlier trucks is more simple wiring & then the "beefier" drivetrain. If you like carbs vs. efi then earlier is good. If you'll be going to a full floater rear with a custom housing and a very built, high HP motor then it kind of negates starting with an earlier truck.

Like Brian said I think only the front frame horns are different when it comes to the frames. And yes, 92-96 front end can go on the 80-86 and 87-91 stuff. People do this all the time to get rid of the fugly lol.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
mattt

Post by mattt »

Thanks for the info both of you. I had someone tell me that the earlier frames are stronger than the newer frames, which is why I had asked since I hadn't heard that before. This one is a early to mid 80's Bronco.

The truck I'm looking at is almost a bare shell, so I have little limitations on what to change or not. Basically someone bought this truck as a parts car, took what they wanted out of it, sold a lot of parts from it, and now they're selling off the rest of it. Unfortunately it doesn't have the 9", it has the 8.8....but it does have the C6 and transfer case, along with axles on both ends.

I do like the 95 mass air OBD1 and creature comforts of the mid 90's trucks, but this one will be a toy, and start as a body shell and frame only, so I have to spend accordingly. Hope the build cost doesn't spiral out of control.

What is the appx street value of an 8.8, C6, & stock transfer case? Probably sell that stuff off and a few other un-needed parts from it.

It has no engine, so at this point, I'm not even sure a blue oval will be going back under the hood. That could present a problem when it comes to smogging for title transfer, but I'll only have to get that one smog check, since I have an address where bi-annual smog checks are not required. Still not sure how to deal with this problem.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I would suggest starting with a running truck. There is so much work to be done and unless your building a budgetless race truck starting with a non-runner is gonna cost you much more $$, time and frustration.

What is you end goal? What are you thinking budget wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattt

Post by mattt »

Thanks again. Starting with a running truck for $XXXX amount makes sense. This truck is available well below that, which is why I'm considering it. I'm not 100% convinced yet to take on this project. I don't have a set budget, but I'm shooting for a capable pre-run Bronco. I'm in no big hurry and will wait out the deals when they come up. Since it has no engine currently, I'm wide open on that. I've built a 351w EFI out of a Lightning engine, and I remember what that cost me. With the availability and falling cost of an LS based engine, it will be hard to not give that serious consideration since this will be a play toy that could use as much skinny pedal as reasonable.

In the past, I've kept my eyes open for a "lost interest" project, but have not been at the right place at the right time for a good one to fall in my lap. With this truck, I could put it together when the right deals come along. Thank you again.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I again agree with Brian. Take it from someone who has started with non running stuff & never gotten it back running that having something you can drive & enjoy & be motivated to work on/update will definitely help your cause.
There is also the unknown factor of what all has been removed from the "shell" of a bronco & what all will be needed to be replaced. As Brian kind of indicates, the initial cost may be less for the purchase, but my guess is you'll end up spending more getting it to run/drive than you would buying a runner & upgrading. The shell does allow for not spending $ on parts you may not necessarily want, but you have to really have to budget to replace them with what you do want to make this work. That may or may not be the case.

As for street value on the parts:
8.8 = +/- $100-150 for stock
c6 = +/- $125
t-case depends on model but $100-200
These are based on what I have sold these parts for multiple times in the past, but it's been 5-7 years now so prices MAY have gone up a bit. Not sure
mattt

Post by mattt »

Thanks for the appx. street values on the parts I may not need. Given the situation in getting this Bronco shell, my investment into it will be mostly time and little to no clams. I'd be trading my time for the Bronco shell. I completely agree with both of you and the valid points you bring up about starting with one that is more complete and driving. The little value I'll have in this thing, while taking into account my time is what's got me thinking about going for the deal. If and when I get it, I'll post up. Thx.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I can totally understand that. Before marriage & kids I would do deals like this all the time. I had waaaaaay more time then, so less $ and just time spend was a total deal. That has completely flopped for me at this point so I tend to see things in a different way now. But if you've got the time to spend then it may be a decent score for a little time.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Hey, not sure if anyone mentioned it but 80-81 frames have large holes cut out along the sides of the frame from the factory. Try to find an 82+. Sadly I just sold an 82 running bronco. The really sad part was the guy took it for $300. I wonder if he will sell it back to me lol.
mattt

Post by mattt »

This one is an '84.