Who runs what tires and why?

zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

So Falken is backordered on their 33x12.5x15 Wildpeaks, with no set date for shipments to resume, I have begun to consider other tires for my Bronc. I'm curious to find out what tires you guys run and why, even though I'm a discount tire employee I don't make a huge amount which kinda rules out a new set of KO2's for my low budget Bronc.. I get a discount but not enough to justify an expense like that. Plan A was the revamped Wildpeaks, apparently they've begun manufacturing them with deeper tread, but again the extreme backorder is a bit of a setback. I'm looking for a 33" tire that is smoother, quieter on the street, and with better wet weather traction, than my current 31" Goodyear Wrangler Authority's, but still retains good off road manners for sand, rocks, mostly SoCal trail terrain, with occasional desert trips, and decent snow traction for trips to Julian. My supervisor suggested General AT2's, anyone run those? If I don't find anything suitable I'll likely just wait on the Falken's.
Potato.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Save up for some bfg all terrains haha. Those falkens are not really an off-road tire. They almost look like a trailer tire when they get worn a little.

I'm wondering if anyone has ran these b4.
33 X 12.50 R 15 GLADIATOR MUD TERRAIN TIRES $719
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pt ... 22749.html
zachwabbit

Re: Who runs what tires and why?

Post by zachwabbit »

The KO2's are nice but if they're anything like the KO's I don't think I'll be 100% happy, I had the old KO's on my Ram before I went to Mickey Thompson's and and they didn't like wet asphalt too much and wore quickly due to the softer compound. Other than that I liked them though haha. My coworker has KO2's on his '14 Z71 Silverado and he likes them a lot but also complains about wet road traction and quick wear
Potato.
De$ertBronco
Bronco Info: currently under the knife @ RICHER RACING!

Post by De$ertBronco »

i ran general grabber at2's for a couple years and liked them. they were quiet and didn't seem to wear fast. i hear the goodyear duratrac's are a really nice on and off road tire and not super loud either. they look fairly aggressive which i like and come with 3/32nds more tread than the bfg and 2/32nds more than the general grabber at2 in that size.
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

I have been running General Grabbers and AT2 on my daily drivers, chase trucks, prerunners, and race vehicles since 2009. I love them I got 60k miles on my last set. I have had 1 flat since 2009 and it was well deserved.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

What ever you do stay away from procomp tires. Poorly made tire. They fall apart after a couple years.
De$ertBronco

Post by De$ertBronco »

i also had bad luck with pro comp tires, but that was 10 years ago or so... not sure now adays
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

I appreciate all the input, I'll talk to my boss tomorrow and see what our at-cost price is for AT2's, hopefully I can get a good deal. Duratracs are nice, but aren't exactly cheap, heard they get louder as they wear too. And yeah as far as pro comp goes, idk bout the brand new stuff, don't really work with them often, but a kid came in a few months back with a lifted Bronc and his old Pro Comp's were chunking and separating real bad, don't remember what the DOT dates were though
Potato.
De$ertBronco

Post by De$ertBronco »

Yeah sorry I forgot to check the price before recommending the duratracs. Could try hankook dynapro atm's? Falken needed to change, good to see they are. I had wild peaks on my excursion, but the siping isn't cut that deep and lost performance bad. Hated them and switched to toyos which I love, but those are expensive too.
ebroten
Bronco Info: 94 Bronco, 5.8, Desolate Suspension

Post by ebroten »

Tchajagos wrote:Save up for some bfg all terrains haha. Those falkens are not really an off-road tire. They almost look like a trailer tire when they get worn a little.

I'm wondering if anyone has ran these b4.
33 X 12.50 R 15 GLADIATOR MUD TERRAIN TIRES $719
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pt ... 22749.html
I've only known one person that ran these on a mild trail rig. No complaints though. If you are interested here they are for a little cheaper

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/wtd/5384947526.html
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

For many years I ran 35"×12.50"×15" BFG AT'S and they did well in Baja and the Dunes. Back then the Bronco was my Daily Driver and I went with the KO version when they came out. Again a good tire. The did well but had a issue with shredding them in Baja and Plaster City at high speeds. That is what I got for trying to keep up with Class 8 trucks. Then I made the jump to BFG Baja TA'S with the DT tread ( Looks like a mud tire, more agressive of a tread then a Project tread) It has been many years now and the Baja tires have been the most durable tire to date that I have had.

This last summer I even went with 37" BFG Baja TA'S on the F350 with beadlocks. They work great and even in the rain, they have been perfect, no slip and sliding like some Projects I have driven on the street in the rain.

johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

I paid $752 for four 33 12.5 15 Duratracs mounted and balanced from Discount Tire in Metro Detroit. They had some kind of rebate and 4th of July sale. It was $912 minus $160 in rebates. I had to get one of their credit cards, but I paid it off immediately. If I would have went in and just took the tires cash and mounted them myself, with a military discount, it was $800 and change. They often have a sale or rebate and you can walk in and ask for the sale price early. I would ask for a Presidents Day sale or something now. It always helps to have a "cool" staff at your local store, and, fortunately, I do.

They have a very mellow hum; you can hear them, but you won't have to turn up the radio. I do not have a ton of miles on mine They are certainly louder than BFG all terrains. They are nothing near a mud tire noise. They are pretty stable and run well up to about eighty, I usually don't go faster than that. They are good in the rain and the dry. They do really well in the snow and ice too. It has been snowing here the last couple of days and I was running the interstate between Detroit and Ann Arbor at 70 mph in light snow. I hit ice while on the brakes and they slid but grabbed just fine after I let them hook back up. I have not used them in mud, but they do well in the sand. I think they list shipping weight at 49 pounds.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Yeah unfortunately because I'm a Discount Tire employee, and would be getting the tires at-cost, I don't get any kind of rebates or stuff a normal customer would get at the sticker price. Found a used tire shop off of Greenfield selling a couple sets of used 33x12.5x15 tires, one set of Goodyear Duratracs, and another of Dick Cepek FC-II's, both for under $300 for either set, seriously considering it as making the car payment on my '14 Focus every month keeps my budget tight. I would prefer new tires from my own shop.. But DTC Crew Chiefs don't make a lot
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Anyone got a used set of 33s?
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Bit the bullet and ordered a set of four new General AT2's at work today, my supervisor talked me out of waiting for the Falken's and I got a good deal on the AT2's so I'm happy, and I should have enough money afterwards for my car payment too! Lol
Potato.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I run Toyos. They last a long time and rarely go flat. Also, 39s are cheap.

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

philofab wrote:I run Toyos. They last a long time and rarely go flat. Also, 39s are cheap.

Really?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I run 39's cause they are dirt cheap.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

I just wish all that was needed to run 39s on a bronco was a little less expensive.
Kartman
Bronco Info: 88 with big shocks and stuff.

Post by Kartman »

I have used most brands over the years. Toyo have been hands down the best by a long shot. Super durable, great in the dirt, good on the street. The MTs are the only muds Iver ever used that have grip on wet pavement. If doing a fair amount of street driving look at the AT2. If mostly dirt or dont care about a slightly compromised ride get the MTs.
Facebook, - Instagram - Twitter
DurkaDurkaPhoto