RCV Axles for TTB center joint angle

tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

RCV Axles for TTB center joint angle

Post by tactical328 »

Hey guys, I'm back with a vengeance getting after my bronco project. I was wondering if anyone has experience with RCV dana 44 ttb axles? I am wondering if the RCV center joint allows for any more range of motion before binding than a typical axle u joint? I've read that passenger axle likes to pop out of the diff and the center joint limits travel, so maybe a CV will be a method to alleviate both issues?

Thanks for the help!
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Re: RCV Axles for TTB center joint angle

Post by BDKW1 »

I know Chris Wilson had issues with the center joint on the race Bronco. The plunge is what creates issues. They do not make an axle for the early bolt in center sections either.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Contact Chris for the story. Try a private message to Baja chris
tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Post by tactical328 »

I will try and ask him. Thanks for the replies guys!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Has anyone converted a late model dana 44 third member to an early 81-82 third member by drilling and tapping the passenger side of the third member to use a bolt on passenger side axle. This would be needed to run a locker without a c-clip.

Also, any thoughts on how to convert a dana 50 axle passanger side to use a retainer plate like the 81-82 dana 44.

I have a 82 Dana 44 third member with the retainer plate, but I want to convert my Bronco dana 44 to a Dana 50 all the way out to the hubs to make a 3/4 ton front suspension, but with the same geometry and bolt on to the stock Bronco pivot points.

David

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Hi David, Seems like it would be easier to put the D50 TTB on it. BajaF250 has one on his truck… works great!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

SteveG wrote:Hi David, Seems like it would be easier to put the D50 TTB on it. BajaF250 has one on his truck… works great!
I would prefer the Geometry of the Dana 44 to the Dana 50 on a long travel setup. But if is stronger and cheaper to run 3/4 ton components, than beefed up custom race parts. I really would love to run a TTB ford 9in third member with 40 spline axles. But the budget to buy one is not there, but I may try to make one when time allows. I want to shoot for 20" of usable wheel travel.

Just so I can get the Bronco going, I will just run the Dana 44, with the Bolt on retainer I already have, along with the ARB air locker I got. I will be selling the Eaton mechanical Limited slip I got and never installed.

When I start breaking stuff, I will address it then. I just want it in the dirt, even if it is not perfect.

Oh, and ARB makes a 40 spline Locker now, so maybe a Dana 50 or Ford 9in with 40 spline may be possible. I will need to do more research into it.

David

Wrightracing.net

I did some more research and figured out I can use my Dana 44 differential with the Dana 50 inner axle shafts that use a 1350 U-joint and larger axles. I just bought a set of inner beam ends from a Dana 50 ttb that have been already cut off the housing. So I can keep my Dana 44 ARB and bolt on passenger side axle. Now the issue is to get a Dana 50 passenger inner slip joint axle with the bolt on retaining plate.

Also I figured out that I want to use the 95-97 f250 or F350 knuckles, spindles and brakes. They are bolt on calipers and not the old wedge thing, like my 1986 brakes or 94 and older f250 brakes. I will have to get rid of the 15in wheels, but fortunately I already have a set of old school 8 lug aluminum Centerline wheels in 16.5x8.5. Which work great to run surplus 37X12.50R16.5LT BFG Baja TA tires like I have on my F350 with re-entered 24 bolt steel.

I have to much time on my hands to think about Bronco idea's with being laid up with a back herniated disc in my back. Atleast I am reviving some old threads

David

Woodsman1991
Bronco Info: Pretty much bone stock, free motor and front end rebuild. 1992 with 5 speed 302

Post by Woodsman1991 »

Not to steal the thread, but has anyone run the RCV setup with stock width axles and a cut/turn setup? I swear I recall reading a while back that they don't work with stock width C&T beams but I can't find that thread for the life of me?