Was it something I said?

alpinejd3
Bronco Info: 1991 EB Prerunner

Re: Was it something I said?

Post by alpinejd3 »

My thoughts on GFB, its my favorite place to share ideas and updates on my bronco. I did give in and get an instagram account, I've never had any other social media before but I actually enjoy all the Offroad content. I do think the fascination with various platforms may be a cause of some decline here, but I see them as very different means to share very different elements related to broncos.

With that being said I am guilty of what a few people above can't stand, bought not built, took forever, very big changes, etc. Still glad I shared my build on here as I have met some really great people who have helped me a ton with planning my build out and executing it.

I think the site could benefit from an easier way to upload photos. I have to take them off my phone, resize them, and then save again, and then upload. In addition, short video clips, 10 seconds or less might be nice as well.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

alpinejd3 wrote:I think the site could benefit from an easier way to upload photos. I have to take them off my phone, resize them, and then save again, and then upload. In addition, short video clips, 10 seconds or less might be nice as well.
This seems to be the common issue...as well as editing. We're listening and we will fix it. Thanks to everyone for the input.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

One thing I would like to add seeing as that you are asking and taking a serious look at traffic, is that the site format better on a cell phone. Between that, edit, and pictures I am sure the traffic level will pick up.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I'm guilty of transitioning to a lurker when I sold my '96 and started to build my Jeep...but now that I have another Bronco, and will most likely be selling the Jeep I plan to be a more frequent visitor. I strongly dislike drama in general and would prefer to have some friendly bs'ing and jabbing along with actual experiences ... Life happens to us all. I personally think Instagram has taken some of the steam away as it's easy to search for a hashtag to see what a built bronco looks like... Maybe add some sort of Bronco Gallery so those that wanted to just drool over trucks could peruse that folder, without having to comb thru multi year build threads OR....have a feed from instagram of everything tagged #gofastbronco #gofastbroncos....
tactical328
Bronco Info: future broncozilla

Post by tactical328 »

I love this forum. People here actually know what theyre talking about most of the time :)
Facebook and soc media is a cesspool of idiocracy, the folks on here are nice and willing to help and answer questions. As I learn more and research more stuff I'll be able to further discussions.
If anyones got gun or rzr questions you can ask me
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

All,

Thanks for the posts and apologies for taking so long to join the discussion.

At the end of the day, we all love this forum for what it was always intended to be. A place for like-minded people to gather, exchange info, and B.S. about... well, anything. Most of the following has already been covered, but... what the hell?

Why has GFB activity dwindled at a time when Broncos are so popular?

Forums are just not what they used to be. Look at any forum. I don't care what it's focus is, how many users are registered, or even how many are signed in at a given time. There just isn't anywhere near the same activity on forums as there used to be. Why? Well, without diving too deep into it, entities such as facebook (who also own other social media apps) spend millions of dollars figuring out how to keep you coming back for more and keeping you off sites such as this. Between domain name and hosting costs, GFB spends, quite literally, tens of dollars a year. Guess who wins? As I tell my kids, if you want the answer to anything, follow the money.

What does this mean for GFB? Well, as always and, as with anything else, it is what you make it. Put forth the effort to make it great and it'll be great. Sit on the sidelines and wait for it to be great and it'll sit on the sidelines with you.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

One thing I forgot to mention... We all know, without a doubt, the software here is archaic. I'm happy to update it, we just need to decide what we want and may need to get some help with the changeover. Stay tuned.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

SteveG wrote:One thing I forgot to mention... We all know, without a doubt, the software here is archaic. I'm happy to update it, we just need to decide what we want and may need to get some help with the changeover. Stay tuned.
I'm interested, let me know!

to those who say the forum platform is dying, i do agree to an extent, but there is a huge influx of younger people building broncos and f-150s because of how easy it is to get parts and build it yourself, if we can wake this page up, i really do believe we will see an increase in traffic.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Was it something I said?

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

The truth is that regardless of the platform, social media/forums are only as good as the collective group of people using them. It’s what makes Facebook terrible and forums like this still great, regardless if traffic is less than what it has historically been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
96UAV
Bronco Info: 96 XLT --Under Construction--

Post by 96UAV »

I love this place! Honestly, it's where I come for inspiration. I'm sure I'm not alone here but sometimes my Bronco sits in the garage for months without a single thought given in it's direction. Then one morning I'll say to myself, "let's see what the folks on GFB have been up to," and BAM! I'm spending money recklessly online for new Bronco parts and making time in my schedule for wrenching time. Jumping into someone's build thread who's been absolutely killing it is amazing to me. There are so many extremely talented people here who have done and still do amazing things to 20 year old trucks. I do agree that image posting/editing could help keep folks more engaged in the forum but I don't think that's the real reason for the slowdown in traffic. For the most part I'd say social media has derailed the fundamental nature of what a forum is and should be; which is a place to share information. And with that comes reading, which seems to be somewhat of a lost art if you will with today's mind numbing picture overloaded thumb swiping and double tapping. Here, we have to sit down and READ which a lot of folks just don't have the time or patience for anymore. I remember the old "USE SEARCH" answer to many questions being asked in a forum setting as many have become so used to the google-like answer now idea. Anyway, just my two cents. Cheers.
Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

I am one of the newest members here and I can say that you all are a very different breed. In a very good way! I've met some really great people here and had conversations with some that I hope to someday meet as well. I've never seen a forum with such knowledgeable, willing to help, encouraging, and without all the bro-runner drama, type people. With that said, be careful what you wish for. With OBS Fords and Broncos heating up, your sure to attract some of the not so like minded people. I'ts great how I've seen guys here genuinely helping out the inexperienced newbie. Last thing anyone wants to listen to is Brock, who swears up and down that he's got 19" of travel with his new Rancho shocks!
Thank you facebook for Bronco Alliance where Brock can live free!

Keep it real

No offense if anyone here is actually named Brock. LOL
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
Bftank
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco 6 inch dick cepek front, deavers in the rear

Post by Bftank »

newer member here. social media "addict" etc. ive lurked here and on dezert rangers for several years. searching for information, so that i can implement it. ive considered putting my build here, or on dezert rangers, but i think it is to basic to be worthy. so its currently on instagram. its a slow build. taken me a good year and a half to get to the point i am, due to family, building a shop, job stuff etc.

as far as why people arent on here as much, in my opinion its easier for people to pull info up on their phone, than it is a laptop. so if a forum isnt optimised for mobile use, then not as much traffic. times are changing. they always do. the best way to get traffic to a forum is to funnel it through social media. advertising, on ig and facebook, sharing build spotlights and links, pinterest is great way to keep build notes and ideas organised. if a forum isnt heavily involved with instagram it becomes old school, because thats the way communication is changing too. prior to forums, it was dudes meeting each other in parking lots that had similar broncos, crawlers etc. and club meetings. things change.

just my opinion, as a dude that lives in the sticks of colorado, with no prerunner bros to hang out with. lol. so take it with a huge grain of salt. i really do appreciate all the technical info that is here and hope to be able to contribute some good stuff eventually.
@outdoorexplorationgear on Instagram, focused on Krustythebronco, building a towrig, creating a prerunner/rockcrawler business.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Bftank wrote:as a dude that lives in the sticks of colorado,
Where at? Hoping to have my new hoopty ready for a CO run next summer. Always looking for new trails.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Tell me about off-roading in Colorado. I'm looking for a reason to take a working vacation to Colorado....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

[quote="Needles929" Last thing anyone wants to listen to is Brock, who swears up and down that he's got 19" of travel with his new Rancho shocks!
Thank you facebook for Bronco Alliance where Brock can live free!

Keep it real

No offense if anyone here is actually named Brock. LOL[/quote]

100% agree with this. I cant deal with people on facebook pages or FSB.

"I want to do this has anyone done it"

*gets bombed by a million posts asking why I would want to do that or "you should do ______(insert stupid idea here) instead"
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
Bftank
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco 6 inch dick cepek front, deavers in the rear

Post by Bftank »

BDKW1 wrote:
Bftank wrote:as a dude that lives in the sticks of colorado,
Where at? Hoping to have my new hoopty ready for a CO run next summer. Always looking for new trails.

I'm on the western slope. in Rifle just east of grand junction. where are you at? im always looking for wheeling buddies that havent been sucked into the side by side craze.

SteveG wrote:Tell me about off-roading in Colorado. I'm looking for a reason to take a working vacation to Colorado....
tons of dirt trails, shelf roads, beautiful scenery, trees, lakes, primitive camping all over the place. old mines and cabins to check out. there is rock crawler stuff out here, too. some mild, that'd work with a bronco. and some buggy stuff. just gotta know where it is. I have some write ups of some of the trips we have done on my website https://outdoorexplorationgear.com/cate ... ado-trips/. All western slope stuff so far and mild. once the bronco is done we can get into more of the fun stuff. taking the excursion to crystal mill was a little sketchy. lol

crystal mill.jpg
crystal mill.jpg (224.67 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
excursion crystal mill.jpg
excursion crystal mill.jpg (177 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
flattops switch backs.jpg
flattops switch backs.jpg (160.22 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
flattops.jpg
flattops.jpg (228.96 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
flattops explorer.jpg
flattops explorer.jpg (152.46 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
there is lots of stuff on the eastern slope too, just havent been able to hit that yet.
@outdoorexplorationgear on Instagram, focused on Krustythebronco, building a towrig, creating a prerunner/rockcrawler business.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

HA, I did the crystal mill trail on my loaded KLR650. Easy money.

Currently in Kansas city. about 13 hr's.......

I have spent a lot of time around Ouray and Durango. Love that area. Ouray is probably my favorite place after Baja. Hot springs and breweries with good wheeling.

Good times!

BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

SteveG wrote:Tell me about off-roading in Colorado. I'm looking for a reason to take a working vacation to Colorado....
Paul Wilson on here is also a great Colorado resource. He summers in Durango. Durango has 4? breweries......
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If beer is your draw - hit Bend oregon. Lots of fun outdoors stuff to do, family friendly and 24 breweries & counting...

Better yet - don't go. It's getting too crowded already LOL
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
eoffroader
Bronco Info: 1994 bronco 4.5 beams bilstein c/o behind the beam rad arms 456 front and rear f53 deavers blue inte

Post by eoffroader »

I've always been the lurker type but like everyone else says make images easier and also maybe get more get togethers going I think that would help too I know a lot of us live in different places making it somewhat difficult for everyone to get out. The off the jack stands run seemed to have a good turn out I wasn't I the group but I saw you guys pass by me at plaster city