California City OHV

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

California City OHV

Post by cs_drums »

Anyone familiar with the area? I’ve been looking to buy a property for a semi-permanent Camp area for the family. Property in Kern County is cheap but I don’t know much about the area.

I read this article-

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/blog/20 ... ohv-areas/

The area sounds pretty cool.

Any input from those in the area is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: California City OHV

Post by 300 »

The article is pretty accurate about the variety of places to ride and wheel to. California City itself is pretty depressed. Other than the prison, and the aerospace stuff in Mojave, there just isn't much there to draw people in. There are the basics, a little grocery store, couple gas stations, and the obligatory pizza and Mex food places. They do have trails to get you legally into town with your OHV's. They do require a buying a sticker for each toy you ride specific to the Cal City area, but they are something like $15 for a year. The camping areas are very accessible to just about any kind of RV, and with a lot of area to work with, you don't have to camp on top of each other during the big weekends. The area is central to and easily accessible from Southern California and the San Joaquin valley via 395, 14, or 58. Mojave is no longer much bigger than Cal City, so the next biggest towns are going to be Lancaster or Bakersfield. Once you get out of the immediate town area, there are roads, some paved, most dirt, but there are no utilities out there. I've seen 1 or 2 acre lots auctioned off for $1200 to $1500, but there is absolutely nothing out where they were. If you left anything there, you wouldn't expect to find anything when you got back.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

You forgot to mention the world class golf course :P ;)
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

300 has it pretty well covered and the Pro at the golf course is the brother of our attorney, so go easy on 'em Cactus. My recommendation is to visit and ride the hell out of the expansive area and everything around it. We've had some great adventures there in the last 30 years but.....for sure whatever "semi permanent" things you leave behind will be gone approximately 47.3 minutes after you depart.

Unless you purchase directly adjacent Borax Bill's that is. Then the Boys in Blue will look after your stuff by default there. If they're there.

Quite a history Cal City has or had. Crack has much to do with the thousands of legal lots available for sale there today.

I mean the vacant ones.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I was actually thinking about taking the family to California City or Randsburg (or both) for Spring break. I figured we could take the RZR out and do some exploring. I drive by the area a ton but have never stopped to look around.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

You should do exactly that Steven. While a bit crowded for Spring Break, the area is so big that only the "gathering spots" are sometimes the zoo. Still good to have a hamburger and a beer at the White House in Randsburg, and you guys would enjoy walking around the town. Get your hands on an FOJ map, fill 'er up with gas and go man:

https://www.jawbone.org/ohvmap/index.ph ... 0OHV%20Map

Actually so cool stuff to see at Jawbone Station as well, then of course more burgers and beer there and maybe a live band too. Then there's Trona Pinnacles and the Husky Monument and a host of other things you can visit with only fuel as your limitation.

Oh yeah got to get a Cal City permit, fees from which provide excellent PD support of off roaders in the general area:

http://www.calcitypd.org/dirt.html

Call me if you need to know more.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sounds good, Jim. I’ll give you a call. I need to know where to set up camp. As of now, the plan is to take a motorhome and open trailer with the RZR on it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

As a side note on Cal City, they have embraced the 420 and speculation on some commercial spots has caused prices to go up. I personally know the Fire Chief and the marijuana legal struggle in Kern county could put a damper on those rising property values, so I would wait and watch how they handle regulation, cultivation and distribution before investing.

Now Randsburg... That might be a spot to buy an old house. I was stationed there for 16 months. There are folks who own houses there and only come to town for riding. The operator of the town hotel is “Goat” Breker the old MX champ. You could ride right out of your driveway. The ‘burg is not to far from Ridgecrest so support and supplies are close.
"And God bless the United States of America!"
Elwood Blues -1980
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The family and I are heading to, or somewhere near, Borax Bill's next weekend with a motorhome and 4-seat RZR... looking forward to exploring some new areas.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

You'll have a great time Steven.....wish we were in gear to go with you. I'd still like to gather Broncos et al at Goat's for the weekend one of these days. I think you'll have some additional interest in such a show after next weekend. Be sure to run 43 over the hill to 44 or 50 on the north side of the mountain to Randsburg, but be careful of the traffic. The RZR will like the jumps on 50.

I expect a full report please.