Looking at an 80-86 bronco

bpburnard05
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8, e4od

Post by bpburnard05 »

What should I be looking for/at when looking at this bronco. Supposedly the engine is rebuilt but transmission needs work.

What are the things to keep an eye out for while I’m looking over this truck?

How much does transmission work normally run? I’m thinking it’s an AOD but no clue yet.

This will be my first bronco or F series truck I’m looking at so I have no clue what to look for or common issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Looking at an 80-86 bronco

Post by SteveG »

bpburnard05 wrote:What should I be looking for/at when looking at this bronco. Supposedly the engine is rebuilt but transmission needs work.
Standard used car stuff... rust, lack of maintenance, was it kept clean, etc.
bpburnard05 wrote:What are the things to keep an eye out for while I’m looking over this truck?
Same as above
bpburnard05 wrote:How much does transmission work normally run? I’m thinking it’s an AOD but no clue yet.
A lot, I don't know what an AOD goes for, but I imagine a GOOD rebuild will be at least $3k plus removal and installation. Bondobob recently had some work done to his and might be able to help.

I loved my 84, but it was exceptionally clean and well maintained.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
bpburnard05

Post by bpburnard05 »

I’ll be going to look at one of the two I’m looking at. Both are 80-86.
One I’m looking at supposedly had the engine rebuild and the pump went out in the transmission (according to
Him) so I’m assuming that’s a for sure rebuild.
The other is same years with everything operational and supposedly 88k original miles. But unknown condition on both

bpburnard05

Post by bpburnard05 »

ImageImageImageImage

Looked at the one today. It’s a 302 with manual hubs and manual shift transfer case

Looks like the a/c went out. No radio. Tranny fluid smelled burnt but was red

bpburnard05

Post by bpburnard05 »

Smell of gas in the motor oil. EFI ignition. Crank windows and the inside needs work. There was rust at the few normal areas and at the base of the tailgate along the whole thing with some speed holes. So not sure about that either

Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Most of these older broncos are going to need a lot of work unless you find one that has already been restored. But then you are talking a lot more $$. These trucks are pretty much classics now. You are more than likely going to have to put in a bunch of work and pretty much restore it unless you want to spend the money on a nice one that has already been restored.
bpburnard05

Post by bpburnard05 »

Tchajagos wrote:Most of these older broncos are going to need a lot of work unless you find one that has already been restored. But then you are talking a lot more $$. These trucks are pretty much classics now. You are more than likely going to have to put in a bunch of work and pretty much restore it unless you want to spend the money on a nice one that has already been restored.
Which I definitely understand. For me the main thing is I would like running and driving to some degree. Little things like brakes, upholstery, radio making sure windows and all that work properly are expected. Big ticket things like motor and trans i would hope to find solid but for the right price it’s possible. For this one the price was high at first but we will see