Ultimate off Road Motorhome thoughts.

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have been thinking over a way to get my RV out into and out of the sand when camping. Now I bring my F350 out to make sure the RV can get out. I saw a killer deal for $3500 for all the running gear from a military MRAP vehicle that has 11 ton axles.

I was also thinking of converting them to a spring under setup to bring the ride height down and help lower the center of gravity a bit. Of course I would have to cut the wheel wells out to tuck the 46" tires but maybe I can find some smaller 39x15.50x20 tires that fit on the aluminum beadlocks with the Central tire inflation System. The tires would have to be E rated I think for the RV.

One thing that is cool is the transfer case is divorced from the transmission making it easier to make a short drive line to the transfer case. That gives me more options for the location and mounting of the transfer case.

Another trick I saw on one of those TV shows that builds military trucks for fun, the removed the air brakes and turned down the rotor to fit a disc brake caliper from a GM bobtail truck for all four corners, making it easier to find brake pads in the future.

It would be fun to park in the dunes away from the crowds at Glamis :-)

The RV in the picture is a 6x6 with top loader Rockwell axles so the RV has to sit higher to clear the diffs and drive lines. On the MRAP axles, they are more like a standard 4x4 with the diffs and drive lines exiting the axle housing towards the transfer case. This could all be done for probability under 6k or 7k to be realistic and would be so nice.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Ultimate off Road Motorhome thoughts.

Post by VintageIronFab »

Dude that's just ridiculous awesome! Better stick with air brakes if you ask me though! What kind of speed on the hwy do you think that thing would run??
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I sathats would be insane. And cool!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

They have what they call highway gears at 3.07 to 1 with the addition of the portal axle gears which gives you a lower range. With the transfer case being 2 to 1 in low range it will be nice for slow stuff. In high range with a 6 speed Allison transmission it should be able to run around 70 or 75mph. This it all theory at this point. A big part would depend on how low i can get the ride height and the tire size. I don't want to run the 46's, but I still want to run the super single aluminum MRAP wheels that come with it and I definitely want to run the Central tire inflation system. My current RV has air ride up front, which might be cool for adjustability, but I am retiring that RV for a new RV with a garage with a ramp in the rear to haul quads. Then the Bronco on the trailer.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

something else to think about is what do the Paris-Dakar support trucks run? I thought they ran huge stuff for where they are out in the (I think) Sahara desert. I have shity dreams I guess- because what I want is an older Fedes single cab truck with I think like a 10 speed and one of the small stubby short haul trailers that I can put a loader on the back all NASCAR style as a ramp I would think would be way too steep.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Wrightracing.net

The Dakar Rally is now in South America due to all the fighting and terrorism in Northern Africa. It's funny they still call it the Dakar Rally.
For the axle, some of them are running similar if not the same axles by Axletech/Rockwell.

Pwerwagn
Bronco Info: 95 ranger 1450 lots of giant parts

Post by Pwerwagn »

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/6013823157.html

Something like that? It looks like it's on an M923 chassis.
Wrightracing.net

Yes, That is exactly what I want. He is asking way to much for a 2005 even with the trailer and 6x6 conversion. The RV alone is around $39k to $49k. Then a company in Utah does the conversion to a 6x6 for around $20k. The the trailer is maybe $30k if it has a lift inside for the stacker trailer. So on the high side if the inside is perfect and if the trailer was in top condition, it would be $100k.

I have been seriously looking at 2007 to 2012 Newmar Motorhomes for around $60k to 70k then have it converted. I need to find the Freightliner front engine diesel chassis to do it for around $20k.

The stacker would be nice if my Bronco would fit with 5 quads.

Pwerwagn

Post by Pwerwagn »

I totally agree. He's smoking crack. An m923 is worth 8k, and the moho 40.

I was going to do something similar to this for a few years and couldn't find everything I wanted to piece it together.

What I ended up with is a super c on a Kodiak chassis. The 271/super 70 is a direct bolt in. It ain't 6x, but super easy.

I have a bunch of friends that have m35, 923's, and one with an m1070 at the lake. They're all cool, but after spending time around them I'm not sure id want a moho atop one.
Wrightracing.net

Ya, The Freightliner chassis I have been looking for is a great platform for the MRAP 11 TON axles in a 6x6 configuration. That way I am not having to swap frames, just the axles, transfer case and the air ride suspension from Freightliner can be modified to work with the 6x6 setup. That way you still get a comfortable ride. They also have to clear the wheel wells. I am not looking for a huge lifted RV, so I plan to use the 20" double beadlock wheels so i can use the Central Tire Inflation System that is already plumbed into the 11 ton axles. I will be going to the wider single tire rims and not use the dually in the rear.

To save time and the headache of building it myself, I will probably take the RV Advanced 4x4 Van's. They say the 4x4 conversion starts around $11k then if I get the front engine Diesel, it will probably be around $20k to out the door. If I can get a good used RV and the cost of the conversion is under $100k, it will be perfect for my budget.

We shall see, the trick will be to get an RV in great shape with the bigger front engine Cummins turbo diesel with the 6 speed Allison transmission. The 6x6 transmissions are geared way to slow for freeway speeds. So the Allison will be good. Not going to be a rock crawler, but the 2-1 transfer case will work well in the sand for parking at Pismo Beach and Glamis. It will give me more options, when looking for camp sites.

http://advanced4x4vans.com/specialty-4x ... onversion/

Pwerwagn

Post by Pwerwagn »

That will be really cool, be sure to post pics!

Super c on a kodiak chassis. All parts are bolt in, only hard thing is finding the t case/70. It's the only thing that ever used a divorced 273, and an 8x275 super 70.

Wrightracing.net

I like the super C RV's. I looked into the super duty F550 diesel chassis ones and they have a direct bolt on front axle and a direct bolt on transfer case. My issue is I need more room for 5 beds and 4 dogs. So the class A with 2 or 3 slide outs is what we are looking at.