Jack

Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Jack

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Was wondering why so many of you decide to use a floor jack instead of a HighLift? Now I know if your chasing with your Bronco it makes sense to have a Floor jack, but it seams that must of you have just a cross desert/trail rig and are not usually in a big hurry to be changing your tire as in a race scenario. I myself like the High lift as its a multi tool unlike a floor jack. I cant tell you how many times I have used it other than to change a tire. I actually used it to recover a Toyota that had slipped down a cliff ( had no access to a winch at the time) It took forever and a lot of recovery straps, muscle and luckily trees and rocks were everywhere. I split some logs on a camping trip for firewood, used the handle for a broken steering rod on a friends truck ( again took forever , but got the job done), used it as straighten some bent parts, as a press of sorts. Its heavy, but stores well I think. Just a cool multi tool I think.
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Jack

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The Hi-Lifts can be cool but also have a small base so can leave your truck in a bit of a precarious spot on the trail. Now-a-days they have some cool aftermarket bases out there to combat this problem though.

The high lift will be on my crew with a floor jack (cheap but heavy, non "race" type) as well.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I did not like how high I had to go when the bronco became "long Travel"
I also did not like the farm jack or Highlift system when it came to lowering bronco once I was done.
Last you already said Chasing.

Now on the multi tool side I might just start bringing it ..... again hah
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

There are many good uses for the Hi-lift. When I go my first one for the Bronco, I also got the big and wide sand base for it. It worked great in the middle of the Dunes at Glamis when I blew the tire off the bead while aired down.

That being said, I hate the Hi-lift. A few down falls are, they don't work well on long travel vehicles and are really unstable when you get them high enough to get the tires off the ground, even with the bigger base. On big rigs like my Crew Cab, they are a pain in the rear to lift it high enough and it is not even long travel. I even have the longer 72" Hi-lift. On my Bronco it was not an issue, but on some vehicles, a place to lift the vehicle can be an issue. I have the bumper hook/chain attachment, which is ok, but makes it hard to get the vehicle high enough also. Some oem bumps are really scetchy to use a high lift, like the 99 Super Duty OEM bumper. Especially with a 6in lift and 37" tires.

If in the end you still want to run the Hi-lift, you need to keep the jack out of the weather. I had mine on my roof rack for many years and when I needed one time, it would not work. The spring mechanism and sliding pins rusted and made the jack dangerous and useless. So store it inside or in a case.

Now I have an aluminum 2.5 ton floor jack and a multi mount winch I can move from the rear to the front if needed. I have 2" receiver hitches on the front and rear of the F350 and the Bronco.
It was nice to have the winch at Pismo to pull out the RV. I plan to put a hitch up front on the RV, one of these days.

I have had several of the Hi-lift Jacks and I see their uses, but I see other options as safer and easier to use.

David...
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I carry a Hi-Lift for many reasons mentioned, but do not use it for changing a flat. That is not what Hi-lift is for. I do carry a fat bottle jack and have used it countless times for tire changes. In the sand it sits on a Hi-Lift base or a flat rock. A floor jack is to big and cumbersome for storage and use.
For any use a Hi-Lift use is quite sketchy.
96UAV
Bronco Info: 96 XLT --Under Construction--

Post by 96UAV »

Hi-Lift syle jacks can be very useful but extremely dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Watch videos online. It's all about preference, need, and situation.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Jack

Post by cs_drums »

I use a modified scissor jack for leveling motor rv/camper. Haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure it can be used for recovery. They are light, sturdy and take up a small footprint on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Cactus Cooler wrote:Was wondering why so many of you decide to use a floor jack instead of a HighLift? Now I know if your chasing with your Bronco it makes sense to have a Floor jack, but it seams that must of you have just a cross desert/trail rig and are not usually in a big hurry to be changing your tire as in a race scenario. I myself like the High lift as its a multi tool unlike a floor jack. I cant tell you how many times I have used it other than to change a tire. I actually used it to recover a Toyota that had slipped down a cliff ( had no access to a winch at the time) It took forever and a lot of recovery straps, muscle and luckily trees and rocks were everywhere. I split some logs on a camping trip for firewood, used the handle for a broken steering rod on a friends truck ( again took forever , but got the job done), used it as straighten some bent parts, as a press of sorts. Its heavy, but stores well I think. Just a cool multi tool I think.
I've done a lot of similar things with the Hi-Lift over the years. In fact, I used it to get my Bronco back up on a trail after nearly falling off of a cliff. They're great tools. It's all I've ever carried. Dangerous at times, but always worked when needed. Even as high as my bumpers are, the 60" can get the tires off the ground. That being said, I will be getting a floor jack soon.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

A Hi Lift is all we carry on the race truck, although there have been times a floor jack or even a bottle jack would have been handy. They can certainly be dangerous and you need to know when to recognize when you are reaching their limitations. Ken and I grew up using them daily strictly for jacking farm equipment, even though they can be used for a thousand other things. They get easily gummed up with mud or silt. We service it before every race and keep it in a boot. We have been known to dump a quart of oil on the mechanism to get it working in a pinch. The way to get around the long travel issue is to use a tie down strap to keep the wheel you are trying to lift from drooping out. They still stretch and you never ever get under anything when it is up. Have seen some who mount an extra limit strap that clips up out of the way when not in use. Swing it down and clip it to the suspension when jacking that wheel up. I dislike floor jacks because of their bulk, some can get air in them when not kept flat, and their geometry causes the car to fall off when you get it in the air because it can't slip or roll in the dirt. With a bottle jack, you are guaranteed to be underneath whatever you are jacking.
XTate
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long

Post by XTate »

I am a hi lift guy, and you cant be a real red nek without knowing how to use one. Last Elk season buddy of mine slides his truck off a muddy road right into the cut, crimps his F150 fender down hard on the front tire, out comes the hy lift we Mick guy veer the body work in a pouring rain and make it back to camp in time for dinner.Its an every day carry item just like your knife, your gun, your money, your phone dont leave home without one.