Refinishing OE Ford alloys

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

A few have stripped and polished their OE wheels here......can't remember where. Can someone link me the thread(s)?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: Refinishing OE Ford alloys

Post by tcm glx »

Find a trailer shop/truck stop. Save yourself the hassle. 100-200 and they will have the Alcoa shining like new.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Yes like Tony said, I Stopped off to get some fuel in Barstow for my RV and I saw the sign next to the LOVES truck stop that said "ALUMINUM WHEELS POLISHED" at a wash & wax truck stop. I said what the hell, I see what they want?? $20.00 a wheel in 20 min. ..... I didn't even finish my lunch before they were done, came out great. 8 guys on the wheels , 4 wash, then 4 more guys buff and the 1st set of guys come back wipe everything down. Came out awesome!! Oh and that is semi truck size also, so it should be cheaper for 15s
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Assuming those wheels were already polished though Cactus? The wheels in question have the clear coating on them so are a bit more work & typically a bit more $$.

I had mine done (clear coat stripped & wheels polished) at a place off Cherry in Long Beach if I remember right. I think it was $200 for the 4 wheels, but it's been 15 or so years now so I can't remember for sure.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Most stripper is fine on aluminum. Check on the back side first if you hesitant. Just spray it on and wipe it off (with gloves on of course) if it's the factory clear coat then the aluminum underneath should be really shiny already.

These haven't even been polished. Just stripped. And I did a terrible job. Still have to go back over it because I let the stripper dry on accident. Doh.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

I thought they were clear coated.......going to check around at a few places. One called Cal Chrome here in Santa Clarita and several in North Hollywood.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Assuming those wheels were already polished though Cactus? The wheels in question have the clear coating on them so are a bit more work & typically a bit more $$.

I had mine done (clear coat stripped & wheels polished) at a place off Cherry in Long Beach if I remember right. I think it was $200 for the 4 wheels, but it's been 15 or so years now so I can't remember for sure.
I've had the RV since new and never had them polished and assuming they were clear coated from the factory, soooo.
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The alcoas on the factory Fords are the only ones with clear coat that I know of. The ones you buy straight from alcoa and the big rig stuff is all just polished from the factory. Not sure on what your RV is, but my guess is they were not clear coated. Either way the wheels can be polished and it shouldn't break the bank.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Thanks for the reminder Willie! Bray's shiny stuff was exactly what I was thinking about when I went here.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

all good.

I wanted the wheels back after he had them polished....so good looking...haha
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports