9 inch disc brakes

95bronco12
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8 4inch lift on 33's

9 inch disc brakes

Post by 95bronco12 »

Well guys have a question regarding disc brakes on your 9 inches. Is there a place who sells a kit, or do you have to get them from another vehicle. Just looking on the web and can't find any that I can say are definitely for bronco big bearing 9 inchers with the correct bolt pattern.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: 9 inch disc brakes

Post by tcm glx »

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

9 inch disc brakes

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I will like the Wilwood 4 piston calipers fo the upgrade and not that bad on price.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Wilwood-Disc-Brak ... nav=SEARCH

Since I am going to Dana 60 Full Floater snouts on my 9" I have to do a little more research to figure out what caliper and rotor combo will work with 15" rims. There are kits with weld on brackets that are specifically made to clear 15" rims but I have not seen them for Wilwood calipers, just single piston ones from Rock Solid and their brake kit. I think that was the name of the company with FF conversions.

David...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Wrightracing.net wrote:I will like the Wilwood 4 piston calipers fo the upgrade and not that bad on price.

Since I am going to Dana 60 Full Floater snouts on my 9" I have to do a little more research to figure out what caliper and rotor combo will work with 15" rims. There are kits with weld on brackets that are specifically made to clear 15" rims but I have not seen them for Wilwood calipers, just single piston ones from Rock Solid and their brake kit. I think that was the name of the company with FF conversions.

David...

I'm running the will wood version Currie sells, works really well.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

tcm glx wrote:
Wrightracing.net wrote:I will like the Wilwood 4 piston calipers fo the upgrade and not that bad on price.

David...

Are you running Full Floater snouts and 15"rims?

David...
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

This is the kit I was planning on getting. But I like the Wilwood for just a few more bucks...

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-6012E4
@cwriz
Wrightracing.net

Here is the brake caliper mounts and it was Solidaxle.com that has the brackets. That is something to think of if you are running 15" rims, but a lot of guys on here have upgraded to 17" rims and they can run bigger rotors which is better along with 4 or 6 piston calipers. As always, the price goes up then.

http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc ... ategory=14

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

9 inch disc brakes

Post by cs_drums »

That's what I have. Weld on caliper mount, GM metric calipers abd stock front bronco rotors. Super cheap and work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
tcm glx wrote:

David...

Are you running Full Floater snouts and 15"rims?

David...
No full floater, but yes 15" wheels.
95bronco12
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8 4inch lift on 33's

Post by 95bronco12 »

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Many of the EB vendors sell 9" disk set ups. Usually bolt on, but some are weld on. The latest offering comes from Wilwood. You must decide if you want a drum park brake or calipers that have the park brake as part of the caliper. Shopping using Google will get you all most all the offerings. Anything offered for a EB will have the correct bolt pattern. Not sure about big bearing? Anybody have a comment on that?
What I uses is a Varga/Ford setup that was weld on. Rotors were correct and it had the caliper with park provision. Te other rig had a Cadillac caliper kit fro m BC Bronco. Same type of caliper. Another setup I used was a kit from Wilwood that used a drum park brake. Bolt on and inferior to any other due to a weak adapter plate that allowed axle movement on the semi floater I had at the time.
So there you have 3 possibilities and all have their own pros and cons. To sort it out go to classic broncos.com and search for 9" disc conversions and get smart of which kits are best.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

I ran Paul's old Wilwood set up for quite a few years. Ended up dumping the E-brake because the drum filled up with dirt/mud and had to be cleaned out often. Haven't run an e-brake since. Had a problem with the bolt on caliper mount also. The thin Wilwood axle retainer plate would deflect over time, causing the wheel seals to leak. Ended up sandwiching to a Currie retainer on top of them. Had no more problems after that.

Bronco's weigh 6000lbs+ when loaded up. This means you can't have too much stopping power, at least for brakes that fit inside a 15" wheel. After upgrading from Dynalite calipers with 1 3/8 pistons to Superlites with 1 3/4 pistons...I saw the light. What a difference. Stopping is effortless now and the brakes are tune-able. In other words, the smaller calipers didn't have enough power to justify a proportioning valve. If you're not concerned with the e-brake, just go on Wilwood's site and grab all of the part numbers to assemble your own brakes. Select hats, rotors and calipers...then go on Amazon and buy it. It's just as cheap as any of the kits offered out there. I believe Coleman racing and Currie sell caliper mounts for the 3.5" Superlite spacing.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Brian, the retainer plate needed to be much thicker than Wilwood provided. Good fix
The drum brake is why I went to the Varga on the 96 and Cadillac on the 72. Now having done that I find the caliper park brake is marginal. I suppose better than nothing.
Hmmm, Dynalite? Did they bolt up to the bracket ok?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The drums packing up & caliper park brake being marginal is why I think a driveline brake is the ticket. I've gotten nowhere on moving towards one though. Philo did some reasearch & bought some parts I think, but not sure he got any further than that
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Wrightracing.net

9 inch disc brakes

I saw these and thought of them on each wheel in the rear for a parking brake. Not to bad at $90 each.

I like the idea of a mechanical brake for a parking brake and maybe an emergency brake if you loose hydraulic brakes.

On my F350 I have the disc brakes with the drum parking brake and I have always had problems with it. I need to replace the shoes now, again.

David...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The only issue with mechanical brakes like those on the standard rotors vs. a rotor on the driveline is heat. May not be much of an issue with the trucks, but it may be. Brakes like that came on some older sports cars for emergency brakes. Issue was if you raced around enough to heat the brakes up a bit and then parked the car, set the brake & walked away the rotors would cool down & shrink just enough to have the rotor be able to slip/move. Park on a hill without chalking your wheels against the curb & it can turn ugly. My uncle's buddy lost a car that way - I've heard the story about it a few times.

That is what's nice about the driveline rotor vs. brake is that rotor won't heat up & swell if it's on the driveline & not being used to stop the car/truck. More parts to deal with though.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

driveline brake is only functional with a spool. That is why you will never see that from oem.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

well the Toyota Landcruiser Fj40 had them facgtory-- mine ever worked but it had one.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Medium duty trucks all use driveline parking brakes.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Wrightracing.net

Bluebird School buses under 26,000 lbs without air brakes had driveline parking brakes. I drove a bus for my church's youth group for many years.

David...