Air mattress in the back?

zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

What's you guys' sleeping setups for camping in the back of your Broncos? I'm fine with a sleeping bag on the floor, but my girl isn't as comfortable sleeping on the ground as I am. Any decent air mattresses that'll fit in the back and an be aired up by hand or cigarette lighter plug in?
Potato.
damon1272

Re: Air mattress in the back?

Post by damon1272 »

Are you talking about I'm a tent or actually sleeping in the truck?
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

A full/double size air mattress fits nicely between the wheel wells but you have to sleep with the tailgate open.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Too short to fit a mattress back there with the tailgate up. We did sleep back there on top of a bunch of blankets and it wasn't too bad. I guess you can lay down a foam pad or something. If you are over 5'5" you will have to sleep diagonally with legs hanging over the step down for the front seats. Bring a tent for an air mattress. I am heavily debating on getting together a little off-road teardrop trailer strictly for sleeping and cooking.

zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

damon1272 wrote:Are you talking about I'm a tent or actually sleeping in the truck?
In the truck itself
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

dtbback wrote:A full/double size air mattress fits nicely between the wheel wells but you have to sleep with the tailgate open.
Yeah tailgate open is a no-go, we're gonna be camping with my coworkers up in the hills here where it gets pretty dang cold.
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Tchajagos wrote:Too short to fit a mattress back there with the tailgate up. We did sleep back there on top of a bunch of blankets and it wasn't too bad. I guess you can lay down a foam pad or something. If you are over 5'5" you will have to sleep diagonally with legs hanging over the step down for the front seats. Bring a tent for an air mattress. I am heavily debating on getting together a little off-road teardrop trailer strictly for sleeping and cooking.

Me and my girlfriend are both 5'6", I think I'm gonna leave the whole rear seat at home or just leave it outside the Bronco at night
Potato.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Yeah, forgot to mention we left the rear seat at home.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Tchajagos wrote:Yeah, forgot to mention we left the rear seat at home.
Yeah might just do that so I don't have to lug it out at the camp site and sit it in the dirt and let it get wet overnight.. Might pick up a cheap twin sized air mattress from Walmart or target after work today.. Maybe a full would fit with the tailgate up if it were aired down and the end was sorta folded against the tailgate or front seats backs?
Potato.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Move the seats forward and flip them forward, this gets you a lot more room. I also used tool bags and other stuff to level it out behind the seats. Definitely leave the rear seat at home. If it's going to be real cold, foam works 1000X better than an air mattress.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Might also want to pull the rear seat hinges, those bastards hurt when you roll over on them.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

BDKW1 wrote:Might also want to pull the rear seat hinges, those bastards hurt when you roll over on them.
Yeah I think I'm gonna. Picked up a Coleman full size air mattress and 12v pump today after work, hittin the dirt tomorrow so hopefully my girl is comfortable enough. If it was just me alone I'd just sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor lol
Potato.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Pro tip: try setting up the mattress before you leave to hit the dirt just in case haha. You will see what you will need before you are out there.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Beware of the air mattress on the seat springs and mounts. They put a hole in mine years back. Bummer to wake up at 3am on the floor. [PILE OF POO]
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Oh yeah just an update on this, done it twice now but haven't taken any pics, I can fit a fullsize air mattress in the back, tailgate up even with my interior mounted 33" spare. Just have to fold the front buckets all the way up and I removed my oem center console to make room for my guns while I sleep which probably helps too. All the big stuff like my 5gal water jug and tool box sit on the ground under the Bronco or on my harbor freight hitch receiver rack if I bring it and I still have room inside for all the rest of my gear
Potato.